The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trotsky1940

Trotsky1940 Active Member

Salvation Army:

Two nice suits (at least for this area) Ralph Lauren Polo University Club, dark grey with pinstripes, nice virgin wool. I got excited. I tried it on. Fit! Then I noticed the sleeves: midget. Trousers the same. I could have bought it and had it tailored.... but I just didn't feel like going through the hassle. I have stuff I am slowly taking to the tailor and honestly didn't want one more. Is this a bad attitude? Also, nice Nordstrom's suit there as well... must have been the same guy... too short.

Other than that, couple of ties, including a really nice, subdued Talbot Christmas tie, it's a club with "Merry Christmas" in diagonal, almost looks like stripes. Very nice and fills a holiday niche not filled by the terrible Christmas ties you usually see.

2. pdxpm

pdxpm Active Member

I've seen the Polo University Club line a few times when thrifting. Where does it rank in the PRL lines? Is it a licensed product? I kind of assumed it was similar to the Lauren line.

3. otc

otc Senior member

Still nothing good on the clothes front...

I did however do well yesterday with what I like to call thrifting for beer...my grocery store has a rack where they place the bottles from cases that had a bottle explode or break...you can pick your own 6 pack from the rack and get it for 3.99. Unfortunately, it is pretty much filled with cans of bud light and bottles of coors....reminds me of the racks of stafford shirts. I'll usually go for it I can get at least 4 bottles of something good (or maybe a mikes hard to have in my fridge for the girls who don't like beer). Most visits there isn't even 1...nothing beside american lites

Last night I managed 17 bottles of decent beer (and one st. pauli girl) for $12.

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Thrifting for beer... lol, wish they would do that here! Skunked at a couple other stops today and it's too snowy to go to the other side of town like I planned. [​IMG]

5. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

My first pair of shoes! Picked up a pair of AE Evanston's in Walnut? Very good condition. Is $40 a lot to pay for thrifted shoes? They're a little big on me, however, I didn't lace them up so we'll see. Maybe I'll put it on BS but I do like them. What are your thoughts? Btw, this is just a pic I found of the shoe online. [​IMG]

6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Picked up a pair of AE Evanston's in Walnut? Very good condition. Is $40 a lot to pay for thrifted shoes?

If you're going to keep them and wear them, that's not at all a bad price. If you're hoping to resell them for a profit, it's rather high for AEs.

7. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I've seen the Polo University Club line a few times when thrifting. Where does it rank in the PRL lines? Is it a licensed product? I kind of assumed it was similar to the Lauren line.

Someone will correct me, but I believe it was made by HartMarx in the late 80's to mid 90's. My interview suit for college and sorority formals was a PUC...lasted forever until I put on weight.

8. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Senior member

I'm always thinking this thread needs more pictures.

Keeping with the AE theme: some Sanfords; a perfect fit and I suspect some conditioner will make the little mark on the toe less noticable.
    [​IMG]

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

My first pair of shoes!

Picked up a pair of AE Evanston's in Walnut? Very good condition. Is $40 a lot to pay for thrifted shoes?

They're a little big on me, however, I didn't lace them up so we'll see. Maybe I'll put it on BS but I do like them.

What are your thoughts?

Do you like the style? It looks good to my eye. Do they fit? If the answers are yes to both then you did fine. In truly excellent condition those shoes would cost you more than $40 on ebay.

If the answers are not "yes", then that is a little pricey for flipping material.

10. Steve Smith

^^^^I agree with you about the pics. Nice Sanfords.

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I'm always thinking this thread needs more pictures.

Keeping with the AE theme: some Sanfords; a perfect fit and I suspect some conditioner will make the little mark on the toe less noticable.
    [​IMG]

You couldn't remove the price sticker before taking the photo?
    Congratulations, you've just taught your competition where to shop. [​IMG]
    Good find at a great price though.

12. tomorrowstars

It's no big surprise that there's some shoes at Value Village and this way I can passively share the deal I got. Update: can hardly see that mark after conditioning. [​IMG] [​IMG] *Now vowing to not post in this thread without a picture.

13. Steve Smith

You couldn't remove the price sticker before taking the photo?
    Congratulations, you've just taught your competition where to shop. [​IMG]
    Good find at a great price though.

I once found some vintage Florsheim shell cordovan longwings for $3.39 at Salvation Army. Uh oh, I just gave away my secret spot.

14. tomorrowstars

I once found some vintage Florsheim shell cordovan longwings for $3.39 at Salvation Army. Uh oh, I just gave away my secret spot.

So many vintage Florsheim shoes at the thrift stores in my area, but I don't know how to differentiate between the good ones and the mediocre ones. I've still yet to even buy any.

And keeping with my picture promise, my Cutter & Buck bag, $5.99 and a 15% student discount. Was embossed with a Johnson & Johnson logo (I assume it was a corporate gift), so I had my cobbler sew the luggage tag over it. It's chocolate brown:
    [​IMG]

15. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    So many vintage Florsheim shoes at the thrift stores in my area, but I don't know how to differentiate between the good ones and the mediocre ones. I've still yet to even buy any.

And keeping with my picture promise, my Cutter & Buck bag, $5.99 and a 15% student discount. Was embossed with a Johnson & Johnson logo (I assume it was a corporate gift), so I had my cobbler sew the luggage tag over it. It's chocolate brown:
    [​IMG]

Great idea!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.