• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temujin

Reaction score
I saw a Brioni hanger.
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
Picked up some Cole Haan MI Itlay dark brown suede buckle loafers sz 10 and a pair of JM Cellini woven toe loafers.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Oooh, I hate that. It's basically a tease letting you know you probably missed something great. This happened to me with a couple composite Isaia hangers that were floating around a thrift chain that had gotten a load of MTM Isaia suits about a month prior to me finding these hangers. I managed to grab 5 suits when I found them, but knew there had been more. I bought the hangers as they were super nice and they were only $1 each, but am always reminded by them that I missed a couple gorgeous suits.
baldy[1].gif

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Oooh, I hate that. It's basically a tease letting you know you probably missed something great. This happened to me with a couple composite Isaia hangers that were floating around a thrift chain that had gotten a load of MTM Isaia suits about a month prior to me finding these hangers. I managed to grab 5 suits when I found them, but knew there had been more. I bought the hangers as they were super nice and they were only $1 each, but am always reminded by them that I missed a couple gorgeous suits.
baldy[1].gif

What kind of thrift stores are you finding these sort of things at? Goodwill type or something that caters to used higher end stuff?

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
I saw a Brioni
hanger.
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif

Get that hanger! I've had some limited success by buying some hanger packs and just throwing the hanger I really want in with those at the checkout. In my area you can't buy hangers for love nor money 99% of the time.

On vacation - last night picked up an Oxxford hanger (using above technique
bigstar[1].gif
) and tonight snagged a pair of Bills and a vintage forest green BB cashmere cardigan, sadly not in pebble-grain calfskin.

Interesting side note: saw ties from Rush Wilson and The Foursome together - I'm in North Carolina so the Rush Wilson is probably to be expected, but a tie from Wayzata, MN all the way down here? Really? Who knows. Saw hangers from Norman Hilton and a few other trad brands, saw plenty of Gitman Bros, Corbin and the like and a pair of 52-inch-waist Zanellas, but just the two things worth picking up. If I had to guess, it does seem that flippers hit harder down here, based on the number of popped collars, near-miss brands and completely trashed racks I've seen, plus anecdotal sightings of a couple of folks with awfully full carts with the usual crap piled high.

rayxlui

Reaction score
Finally something worth picking up. Loro Piana cotton zip up. Not the greatest condition, but for 2 bucks and in desperation it was gold to me.

Saw a couple of other things, including a brand new Su Misura shirt. Shame it was too big.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Get that hanger! I've had some limited success by buying some hanger packs and just throwing the hanger I really want in with those at the checkout. In my area you can't buy hangers for love nor money 99% of the time.

On vacation - last night picked up an Oxxford hanger (using above technique
bigstar[1].gif
) and tonight snagged a pair of Bills and a vintage forest green BB cashmere cardigan, sadly not in pebble-grain calfskin.

Interesting side note: saw ties from Rush Wilson and The Foursome together - I'm in North Carolina so the Rush Wilson is probably to be expected, but a tie from Wayzata, MN all the way down here? Really? Who knows. Saw hangers from Norman Hilton and a few other trad brands, saw plenty of Gitman Bros, Corbin and the like and a pair of 52-inch-waist Zanellas, but just the two things worth picking up. If I had to guess, it does seem that flippers hit harder down here, based on the number of popped collars, near-miss brands and completely trashed racks I've seen, plus anecdotal sightings of a couple of folks with awfully full carts with the usual crap piled high.

lol...still looking huh

EBTX66

Reaction score
I ended up having decent luck in Cleveland while on business last week. I scored a recent Canali 3/2, side-vented sportcoat ($12.99), a pair of Armani ff calvary twill slacks ($2.42), and a pair of Polo blue label made in Italy tan gabs for ($.45!).

Back in Dallas on Saturday I took a group of students from school to a few of my favorite spots (they desperately need dress clothes) and I scored a Polo blue label, made in Italy suit. It's a real beauty: DB, side vent, ticket pocket, forward-pleat pants, in black wool/cashmere flannel with gray chalk stripes. I also nabbed pairs of St. Andrews, Oxxford, and Zanella slacks and a vintage pocket square. The girls really scored: one of them found a couture Ralph Lauren dress for $12!

Then today I found my first piece of Cucinelli: a lavender and white striped button-down.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
I ended up having decent luck in Cleveland while on business last week. I scored a recent Canali 3/2, side-vented sportcoat ($12.99), a pair of Armani ff calvary twill slacks ($2.42), and a pair of Polo blue label made in Italy tan gabs for ($.45!).

Back in Dallas on Saturday I took a group of students from school to a few of my favorite spots (they desperately need dress clothes) and I scored a Polo blue label, made in Italy suit. It's a real beauty: DB, side vent, ticket pocket, forward-pleat pants, in black wool/cashmere flannel with gray chalk stripes. I also nabbed pairs of St. Andrews, Oxxford, and Zanella slacks and a vintage pocket square. The girls really scored: one of them found a couture Ralph Lauren dress for $12!

Then today I found my first piece of Cucinelli: a lavender and white striped button-down.

will you dry clean the slacks right away before wearing?

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you leave anything for the kids?
smile.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
What kind of thrift stores are you finding these sort of things at? Goodwill type or something that caters to used higher end stuff?
Just regular thrift shops. I don't bother with stores that tend to charge more money for stuff. Yeah, I'm that cheap.
biggrin.gif
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Interesting side note: saw ties from Rush Wilson and The Foursome together - I'm in North Carolina so the Rush Wilson is probably to be expected, but a tie from Wayzata, MN all the way down here? Really? Who knows. .
Wow, stuff from The Foursome really gets around!
laugh.gif
I think Frenchy was saying he found some stuff up his way in Canada as well.
I ended up having decent luck in Cleveland while on business last week. I scored a recent Canali 3/2, side-vented sportcoat ($12.99), a pair of Armani ff calvary twill slacks ($2.42), and a pair of Polo blue label made in Italy tan gabs for ($.45!). Back in Dallas on Saturday I took a group of students from school to a few of my favorite spots (they desperately need dress clothes) and I scored a Polo blue label, made in Italy suit. It's a real beauty: DB, side vent, ticket pocket, forward-pleat pants, in black wool/cashmere flannel with gray chalk stripes. I also nabbed pairs of St. Andrews, Oxxford, and Zanella slacks and a vintage pocket square. The girls really scored: one of them found a couture Ralph Lauren dress for $12! Then today I found my first piece of Cucinelli: a lavender and white striped button-down.
Wow, thrifting down there must really be great. I check the women's area when I have time for nice stuff for my wife. The nicest thing I found was an Eskandar shirt which she said looked "awful". Hmm, I figure nice women's clothing should be easier to find. Oh well.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Just regular thrift shops. I don't bother with stores that tend to charge more money for stuff. Yeah, I'm that cheap.
biggrin.gif

Wow, stuff from The Foursome really gets around!
laugh.gif
I think Frenchy was saying he found some stuff up his way in Canada as well.

Wow, thrifting down there must really be great. I check the women's area when I have time for nice stuff for my wife. The nicest thing I found was an Eskandar shirt which she said looked
"awful". Hmm, I figure nice women's clothing should be easier to find. Oh well.

i indeed did but i think i know why,this particular store chain gets their donations from the US i found out...haha suckers they are importing your finds for me,thast where i found the NWT HErmes...sorry about that
frown.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just hoping it came from some rich farmer in North Dakota where nobody thrifts and not from Minnesota!
laugh.gif
Found my first Brooks Brothers Black Fleece piece in the wild today. A white OCBD shirt. Way too small for me though, and it seems peple like to cut the size tags off these
baldy[1].gif
I was a bit surprised, as BBBF isn't even sold here. I don't get why they didn't....people would pay the prices for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads