1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

At an open-air antiques/flea-market, yesterday: [​IMG] Fifties Stowa, gilt brass case. Paid around $15, but it's going to cost me another $100 or so in repairs, which it really isn't worth, but I really like the look of it, so there it is...ack.

2. whacked

whacked Senior member

Awesome find, LS! [​IMG]

3. DuffAnderson

DuffAnderson Well-Known Member

At an open-air antiques/flea-market, yesterday:

[​IMG]

Fifties Stowa, gilt brass case. Paid around $15, but it's going to cost me another $100 or so in repairs, which it really isn't worth, but I really like the look of it, so there it is...ack.

really good looking watch. what will you have done to it?

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like the look of it too. And I'm impressed you found it that inexpensively. When I've looked at watches at flea markets lately, the sellers always want $60 just because the watches are mechanical and old. No idea what they're selling, but they want a premium for it.

5. Lucky Strike

Thanks! It's ticking away, and has kept time since yesterday afternoon, so hopefully a cleaning/oiling and various small repairs will do the trick as far as the movement's concerned. There's so little gold left on the brass case that I think I'll just have the last remnants of gold polished off, and just have a poished brass case. Then the crystal has to be changed, of course, and a strap. I'm thinking a strap in red antiqued leather.
    I like the look of it too. And I'm impressed you found it that inexpensively. When I've looked at watches at flea markets lately, the sellers always want $60 just because the watches are mechanical and old. No idea what they're selling, but they want a premium for it.
    This seller had trays with literally hundreds of mid-to-low level watches, most of them in bad shape. He had a really nice gold Gruen Curvex, but he wanted far too much for it, considering the state it was in.

6. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

I bought a pile of stuff yesterday...

A RLPL shirt, white with a thin black stripe for $7

A lovely blue blazer by John Stephen of London

A Brooks Brothers Golden fleece coat that was a touch short for me, which I listed in the for sale forum.

A pair of Ferragamo pumps and a camel hair car coat for the lady friend.

A couple of neckties.

A NOS safari coat, made in Kenya. Silly, but who knows, this is LA, maybe I'll wear it.

7. Lucky Strike

Just took it to my watch guy - the movement is ticking, and seemingly quite clean and tidy. I'll have to have a "return spring" (?) in the crown changed, along with the crystal, which isn't too bad. The dial<is fine, and won't need anything except a quick cleaning. I think I'll get away with paying under $100 for a working vintage watch, albeit of mediocre quality.

8. DuffAnderson

DuffAnderson Well-Known Member

Just took it to my watch guy - the movement is ticking, and seemingly quite clean and tidy. I'll have to have a "return spring" (?) in the crown changed, along with the crystal, which isn't too bad. The dial<is fine, and won't need anything except a quick cleaning. I think I'll get away with paying under $100 for a working vintage watch, albeit of mediocre quality.

awesome!

9. meister

meister Senior member

awesome everything about is slick!

10. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

A NOS safari coat, made in Kenya. Silly, but who knows, this is LA, maybe I'll wear it.

Could you post a picture of this?

11. Minkous

Minkous Senior member

Total cost for both ties = $4.22 (USD)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Could you post a picture of this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

^That's great.

LS, I love the watch. I look forward to seeing it after the reconditioning.

14. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Just a few ties this week. Left to right: 1) Robert Talbott repp, appears to be a British school tie as the Olde Cholmelians is an alumni group from a London prep school (odd they'd have an American made tie), 2) Polo printed silk and 3) Stefano Ricci. The Ricci is the most luxurious and beautiful, printed silk tie I have ever encountered. The thickness and feel are incredible. I can't wait to see the kind of knot it produces. [​IMG] [​IMG] Gotta get a better camera.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

A trip to my favorite store's clearance center got me these all at 90% off :

Edun Black shorts Org $155, paid $15.50
    Engineered Garments khaki shorts Orig. $155, paid $15.50
    Loomstate khaki pants Orig. $148, paid $14.80
    Ted Baker Linen shirt, Orig $125, paid $12.50
    Rag and Bone white button down, Orig. $152, paid $15.20
    Edun White button down Orig. $125, paid $12.50

They had a bunch of Hartford swimtrunks and a ton of Diesel, G-Star and a few Mason's shorts on sale for 90% off too.

16. meister

meister Senior member

A trip to my favorite store's clearance center got me these all at 90% off :

Edun Black shorts Org $155, paid $15.50
    Engineered Garments khaki shorts Orig. $155, paid $15.50
    Loomstate khaki pants Orig. $148, paid $14.80
    Ted Baker Linen shirt, Orig $125, paid $12.50
    Rag and Bone white button down, Orig. $152, paid $15.20
    Edun White button down Orig. $125, paid $12.50

They had a bunch of Hartford swimtrunks and a ton of Diesel, G-Star and a few Mason's shorts on sale for 90% off too.

You gotta love America - real sales where they run stores not museums. At DJs in Sydney some of the clothes are on the 4th or 5th sale ticket.

17. Lucky Strike

[​IMG]
    Heh...looks like someone in Narobi ripped off the old Abercrombie & Fitch logo... [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Lunch time thrift at the SA was good to me today. Some big guy must have died. Picked up two vintage Harris tweed jackets from Sears in my size. They have real skinny lapels and full canvas construction which I found suprising. I didn't realize Sears carried stuff that good even back then (60s?). Also found a vintage trench with no tags in my size.

19. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

haha maybe we should rename this thread: &quot;Yippee! Someone in my size died today. &quot;

20. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

haha maybe we should rename this thread: "Yippee! Someone in my size died today. "

You don't know how many times I've thought, "some poor bastard must have died", when I find some brand new item in a thrift store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.