1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

I had a 1938 tailcoat that just went for $30. Not bad if you're paying true thrift prices but I'm not sure I'd pick up again.

2. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

1930's Tailcoat? and no profit?????? [​IMG] best be putting that shit up on Rakuten. - headed straight to Harajuku. [​IMG] oh, you think i'm joking? do your research. (no offense intended, point stands)

(once had a member try to out "Fit" me while he was living in Tokyo, he wore a vintage tailcoat with a Top Hat. and looked like Dracula.-'nuff said.)

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, vintage tailcoats are a really hard sell. I've only picked up one (probably 15 years ago) because it was dated 1909 and in fantastic shape with silk covered buttons that had oak leaves embossed on them. I have no idea what happened to it, though.

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Rakuten customers don't know Ebay exists? The number of people here who regularly ship stuff to Japan would seem to indicate otherwise.

5. Thrift Vader

LOL, one is bigger here, one is bigger there. you want to reach the eccentric types in Tokyo? first place they look is resell shops, second Rakuten,third Yahoo Japan,fourth Ebay. sure they know it exists, but actually, the market share is small. - not having a really reliable translater for ebay, you would need to rely on the customers english level. so the majority of potential customers will shop on the popular local sites with their native language.

1 person likes this.
  6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

How difficult is it to get set up to sell on Rakuten?

7. Thrift Vader

I would suggest looking at the Rakuten in english, and checking it out. and finding someone who can send you a sheet of keywords translated like a copy and paste table. [​IMG]
    then advertising on Rakuten via the Japanese channels after you learn how to navigate the site. relying on pics, and a few keywords.

as a member who has not sold on either site until recently, this is the most information from a vendor's perspective i can help with. but i do shop on there...... [​IMG]

( typing a translation sheet of clothing keywords would be a huge pain in the A$$, so i might do it, for members whom i am familliar with. O is ok. if i do it. lol.)

8. DanM

DanM Senior member

Sounds like you could make some money creating a Rakuten beginners translation package and selling it here...

2 people like this.
  9. Thrift Vader

You mean I should sell an item on Rakuten, and Yahoo Japan. Then write up a translation, and "How to" in English. With a "cheat sheet" like table of up to 200 terms related to clothing for copy and pasting???

And offer this as a pm only for sale item Just for members on this thread?

[​IMG]

I think i will work on that over the next week or two. [​IMG]
    as always, known members who are interested in such information can let me know via pm.

1 person likes this.
  10. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Congratulations to @eazye on winning the thrift thread fit contest! He's won a free pocket square of his choice (I'll PM you with details, eazy)!

There was a lot of interest in it, so if anyone else would like to sponsor another one, have at it! It always makes it fun with a prize at the end of it, so suggestions include ties, shirts, books, etc.

14 people like this.
  11. rhyme

rhyme Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Minty Zeg Cloud Cotton N/A
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ultra low rise of 9" - No mo children, ever!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

1 person likes this.
  13. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Thanks for sponsoring the contest Handserhund!

3 people like this.
  14. DanM

DanM Senior member

I'd certainly pay for a beginners guide for breaking into another market. Wouldn't need to be exhaustive, but enough to cover all the basic terminology and let potential buyers know that questions about items will get answered faster if asked in English. After all, lots of us dropped $50 on copies of Garagesale to speed up out listings on eBay.

1 person likes this.
  15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Sorry, I missed this! It could be, but it doesn't quite look it....wish I could be of more help! I showed this picture to 4 other people and we couldn't confirm :confused:
    My pleasure, glad you guys had fun!

16. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

No problem, thanks for checking! I compared it to images online and it was "close, but not quite" in my eye as well.

17. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

[​IMG]
    @nataku
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    some polo and and vintage bruce lee story shirt. Picked up that denim jacket cause it has good patches on it.

4 people like this.
  18. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Not sure about selling, but @brad-t from the SWD side has a guide for buying from Japan that may be somewhat relevant to this topic.

http://harajuju.net/Topic-Buying-From-Japan

1 person likes this.
  19. PGRoadhouse

PGRoadhouse Well-Known Member

Re. tailcoat flipping: thanks for advice fellas - not sure that I want to brave Rakuten's mysterious waters just yet. I'll likely try to move it for 50 on the bay (it was true thrift) and if that doesn't work I'll hold onto it as a decorative or costume piece (it seems to be a 38-40 as it fits me quite well).

20. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

I am not much of a golfer, but I could not pass these up. True thrift. New Foot Joy DNA still in da box! They never even made it to the floor before being claimed. A guy became a little upset with me because I would not let him have them.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.