• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beat me to it.  Lmk if they do become available again.

[COLOR=FF0000]ON THIS RELATED NOTE,  I NEED SOME HELP FROM YOU ALL![/COLOR]

So as some of you know, I am expecting a baby boy to be born in about 2 months!! 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Wife and I are stuck without a name up to this point....SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!! 

Please, this would be a huge help to hear form such a diverse group of fellow thrifters and followers!

Unique names would be dope!  Something a bit different than the norm!

For some reason the names Elijah, Malaki, or Isaia are on paper at this point...

Other than that, we really want a name that starts with an "M" as the rest of us (wife, I, child) start with that letter.

Margiela

Same here, my middle name is my father's first name.  My son's middle name is my first name.  It made that component of the name choosing pretty easy. 

My dad is a huge Beetles fan. His middle name is John, mine is Winston, and if I ever have a son, his will be Lennon

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a urologist here for years named Dick Tapper. Swear to God. He retired though and now Dr. Wang is seeing his patients.
We've got a Uro in town named Peter Rough.

TJhambone09

Reaction score
At BR outlet, I just got 2 non iron slim fit staple blue shirts and 2 pair of socks for $1.28. Not bad for some beater/travel clothes.

Quite pissed that the BB outlet had 1818 harris tweed blazers for about $80 in every size but mine.

edwardthefirst

Reaction score
hey guys! as a new thrifter there is something i have to ask... i didn't find the answer in the forum, but maybe it's because i lack the necessary clothes/stores vocabulary for a precise search.
what is the difference between a sport jacket with a brand name, for example an EZ jacket, and another one with "EZ for Neiman Marcus, or Bergdorf Goodman (or whatever else store)". is there a difference in price, quality? do department stores make special commands to top brands?

thanks guys!
There is usually no difference in quality. For example, EZ for Neiman Marcus would be the exact same quality as a normal mainline EZ. The store tag is basically just Neiman Marcus getting some free advertising by having their name in there, and it can also signify a special collection designed by Zegna specifically for NM. Usually the price is the same as well, or at least highly similar, at least in my experience.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "special commands". Sometimes a department store will commission a brand to produce a line of clothing for them under the store's own name. For instance, I believe Saks Fifth Avenue at one point or another had a self labelled line of suiting being made for them by Isaia. I'm not quite sure how much quality differed from Isaia mainline, but there was no Isaia label. I'm not sure if any of the stores are still doing this, at least with any high end Italian brands... Barney's might still have a line being produced by Caruso, come to think of it. They mostly are just content to carry top designers like Kiton, Brioni, etc.

Hope this helps.

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift.

Church's Custom Grade

Help reading this writing?

Ferragamo

AE Leeds

Fred Perry fresh from the dry cleaners

Really neat half length sleeve shirt from Scotch & Soda. Love the pocket on this. Gonna wear it a lot this spring.

Minty Slim Fit Pink FC

Unworn PRL

Thrifted a North Face Vest. Traded it to Barrel for a pair of West is Dead Chinos. Traded them for these. These will fit great after a hem.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@highvoltorb

Those leeds are shell! Well done.

Last edited:

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@highvoltorb

Those leeds are shell! Well done.

I actually didn't thrift these. I bought them on eBay thinking they were shell planning on flipping. Not shell, and also factory rejects. Seller forgot to mention that so no feedback for that ******.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads