Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

What size/color was the Loro Piana? Would you mind proxying it for me if it's a L/XL and in decent shape?

2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

What size/color was the Loro Piana? Would you mind proxying it for me if it's a L/XL and in decent shape?

I think it was a L, and I think it was a wine color. I didn't look at it really close. I'll stop back in the next couple days and pick it up if it is still there.

4. dressedforsuccess

dressedforsuccess Well-Known Member

Light blue seersucker polo pants new with tags. Needed slight alteration on the length but otherwise great. $12. Brooks Brothers traveler non-iron shirt new with tags, $8. Maybe everything is cheaper down South [​IMG]

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I think it was a L, and I think it was a wine color. I didn't look at it really close. I'll stop back in the next couple days and pick it up if it is still there.

I'm definitely interested.

6. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

[​IMG]

Wow - amazing haul! Burini makes shirts for Brioni. Really nice stuff. I've never seen anything by Zilli in person, but they are a super-luxe label with astronomical prices. Must be damn nice stuff, though! Dress shirts in the $600-$700 area and suits around $8-10k and up, if I remember right.

Dear god, there's was like 4 more shirts I didn't pick up. I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow, hopefully they're still there!

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, I'd get back there ASAP. Who knows, maybe more have been put out. Thankfully both labels aren't very well known, so they may be passed over by the casual flipper.

8. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Everybody has access to internet and eBay. I have seen some Goodwills posting stuff at eBay.

One of my favorite haunts gets hit heavily by flippers. I still go because the manager puts suits out only at certain times and she was kind enough to let me know when. She's mad because the Board of Directors knows about eBay and flippers and they want her to start selling directly on eBay so that they can make more money. She's fighting them on it but has raised her prices quite a bit recently to try and pacify them.

[​IMG]

My weekend's haul:
    - 2 pairs of Incotex FF dress pants. These are my first Inco's and I'm surprised because the legs are more full cut than I anticipated. I like it but I know they are an SF favorite and I thought the WAYWRN elite crowd favored the Pete Wentz proto-douche/cigarette pant/Motel 6 (no ballroom) look. $3.99 each.
    - Armani sportshirt. Like new shape. I paid more than I like to pay but the fit was perfect. $9.99
    - Cantebury of New Zealand S/S button-down. $2.99
    - Ascot Chang custom made silk sportshirt. Looks unwore. I know why: it's a navy blue foulard print. I can't decide if I want to wear it or not because I'm not sure if it's more Paul Smith or Boca Raton. Even if it's a bust the buttons alone were worth the price - $4.99
    - A PRL blue label tweed sportcoat for my son. $7.99
    - Ties: PRL linen tie in olive, Versace in solid gray with very small lion's head medallions (How did Donatella let something tasteful slip through? The Botox must have finally penetrated the blood/brain barrier), Turnbull & Asser repp, Robert Talbott Best of Class woven, and a BNWT's Zegna repp - $1.50 each

9. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

A while back people were discussing buying a manikin to upgrade their photos, I thought I'd share a nice tip that I recently figured out for myself for smaller items (shoes, ties, folded shirts). I was at Target and on a whim bought a $0.40 large sheet of glossy white paper (not even the thick stuff like poster board, just barely more sturdy than normal paper). I set a pair of shoes on it, out on my patio, and snapped a picture.

This is the result:

[​IMG]

This look required virtually no photo manipulation. Just simple white balance, levels, and contrast tweaks. Keep in mind that my camera is particular nice though (Pentax K20D), so YMMV.

10. otc

otc Senior member

A while back people were discussing buying a manikin to upgrade their photos, I thought I'd share a nice tip that I recently figured out for myself for smaller items (shoes, ties, folded shirts). I was at Target and on a whim bought a $0.40 large sheet of glossy white paper (not even the thick stuff like poster board, just barely more sturdy than normal paper). I set a pair of shoes on it, out on my patio, and snapped a picture.

When selling stuff on ebay, I usually find a free poster or something (white on the back side) and make a seamless background.

Basically take your large paper or whatever other sheet you have and tape one edge to a wall so that it curves down to lie flat against the floor. This way you can take pictures from the side of the object or from above and you don't have to worry about stuff getting into the background. Because you have it going in a gradual curve from the wall, there is no obvious corner formed as long as you have relatively even light (hence the seamless part)

11. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Very good shirts. Zilli bought the Eugenio B label , who founded by one of the Burini brothers. The other, which goes by Burini, was bought by Brioni.

Hey RayXLiu

Why don't you pay me for the Ebay cashmere sweater from October 24th?[​IMG]

12. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Hey RayXLiu

Why don't you pay me for the Ebay cashmere sweater from October 24th?[​IMG]

Oh yeah! Sorry about that. I forgot which account that was [​IMG]

13. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

a Zegna sportcoat for my trade partner theWGP and a very lovely suede loafer marked Mingo Portofino for myself.

From google:

Mingo

The unpretentious boutique sells moccasins, ballet slippers, and bejeweled sandals crafted by Tuscan artisans from original thirties, forties, and fifties models by owner Maria-Luisa Oneto's father.

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Revisiting Friday morning, I had a bit of luck at one store. I found five recent Brioni sportcoats, all in a row. Two 44Rs (my size) and 3 46Rs. Shoulders on the 46Rs are too big, so those will need to find new homes. Left them at my office on Friday, but got them home today. [​IMG] [​IMG] The two 44Rs that have found a new home in my closet [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

I wish I had your connections and routes [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.