1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

This aint the Rocky mountain featherbed om looking för right? Made in Portugal..
    Found another pair of common projects in My size, that makes four pairs..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

One of these days, some national news story will write about our thrift thread here, and how we tear this shit up. We are the best of the best!

Now go tear those stores up and bring back them goods!

Happy Hump Day [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

e-thrift savvy bros...need some wool dress pants. any brands to keep an eye out for that are undervalued (~$50 or so) in relation to their quality?

sometimes i can find incotex but generally not.

4. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

They're not going to blow your mind or anything, but Banana Republic Tailored Fit pants are plentiful, fit well (at least on me) and are cheap.

2 people like this.
  5. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Scored Tony Hawks 1989 alternate graphic street skate board. Lucked out on a few joes in a bin of busted figures. For some reason a clean crimson guard was in a busted bin of shit figures. I can see why the psyche outs were in there but they the night force versions so.......
    [​IMG]
    This is a Advertisement with Tony Hawk talking about the graphic on the board I found.
    [​IMG]
    Pic of the him Holding the skate from a magazine.

17 people like this.
  6. eazye

eazye Senior member

^^^^^^Holy Fuck!!!!!!!!

3 people like this.
  7. tben

tben Senior member

They are wool blends but a few pairs I found to be of good value are Uniqlo and the Gap tailored fit, only recommend Gap because they can be had for around $20 on clearance. Well worth it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  8. Tradvocate

Tradvocate Senior member

1 person likes this.
  9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

J crew has good wool pants that often go under the radar as well. I love the couple I've bought. You need to watch out though since their inseams are usually short (no break).

10. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I believe newer Faconnable is made in the same factories as Incotex, i.e. Incotex's factories... if it's Portugal, Romania, or Italy, you're good to go. The little tab under the top front button is a good sign, I don't know if they have the split rear seam though also.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tradvocate

Tradvocate Senior member

I have been working on this for a month. It is very hard to find good wool trousers on the cheap. Hell the selection on Ebay is often not great. I broke down and bought a pair of Howard Yount medium gray trousers on sale. Still looking for tan, brown, and different shades of gray (34/32). When I search Ebay it is like all the baggy, pleated trousers are mocking me.

12. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Mabitex, Brooks Brothers, J.Crew, and Piombo can all be found on eBay at great prices. Lands End's "year rounder" wool pants are a great deal. They currently have a 30% off promo going on.

13. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

It's hard to make dress pants look flattering in photos, hence why most of us photograph them folded on the crease on their side. They are a wider, roomier cut and due to their crease, their generally higher rise, and their wider upper block, they can tend to look awkward when not being worn. Finding high quality trousers at a low price can and should usually be parts one and two of a three part sequence...the third, being a stop at the tailor...may set you back on what you saved, but at least you have some sick pants that are tailored perfectly to you.

14. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

well...that got a better response than i figured. thanks dudes.

and yes, it is a challenge. not to mention i am a bit wary of used pants to begin with. shirts, ties, even shoes i can get over it with a wash.

but used pants...scare me a bit.

15. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Polo by Corneliani can often be had for < $50 on Ebay, in some cases NWT (since you mentioned being creeped out by used pants).

The best deals are on those listings that are simply marked as Polo, with no mention of Corneliani or Made in Italy.

If you have patience, you can build a fairly decent wool trouser wardrobe paying $30 or less per pair.

Unless you are a size 33 or 34 waist, in which case they suck and the fit is horrible and you'll never be satisfied, so don't bid on any of those auctions, mmkay?

1 person likes this.
  16. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Just ask before you purchase if the fabric is still intact from possible previous tailorings. Also be sure to inquire if they were ever worn with no underwear, cuz this can be a deal breaker...(a sellers face posed that question would be hysterical, i'm not actually suggesting this). If so, you're in the clear and no need to worry. Just have your cleaners go over em real good, get all the pee stains out, and your good to go.....Also try Corneliani Polo (PRL Italy), you might have luck there.

17. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

two minds thinkin a like.

18. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

J Hilburn. Good pants, low price.

1 person likes this.
  19. eazye

eazye Senior member

Every single pair of trousers I own have been to the tailor, sometimes twice.

2 people like this.
  20. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

:dozingoff: This just became the pants thread......

5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.