The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

wait wait what?!

how are you getting away with payin those prices?

pants $10-20
    suits $20-40
    shirts $8-15
    shoes $20-90 ($90 for some AE's )
    ties $5-8
    outercoat $35

those are all the standard prices out here

Are you getting these prices from thrift stores or vintage stores? Ive seen these kind of prices at vintage stores, but generally the thrift stores like salvation army and value village have much lower prices.

2. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

salvation army, oh and watches are in the $30-50's depending on brand

i live in california so igues everything is a little more expensive here.

but yeah, i managed to pick up a hickey freeman suit in my size for $30 which is a deal considering they pull designer names out and attach "boutique prices" to it, which are damn near ridiculous sometimes.

3. Cotillion

Cotillion Senior member

Are you getting these prices from thrift stores or vintage stores? Ive seen these kind of prices at vintage stores, but generally the thrift stores like salvation army and value village have much lower prices.

"Vintage" Store Prices around my area are more like:

pants $15-40
    suits $29.99-200
    shirts $12-25
    shoes $30+ ($90+ for some)
    ties $5-12
    outercoat $100+

4. catside

catside Senior member

salvation army, oh and watches are in the $30-50's depending on brand

i live in california so igues everything is a little more expensive here.

but yeah, i managed to pick up a hickey freeman suit in my size for $30 which is a deal considering they pull designer names out and attach "boutique prices" to it, which are damn near ridiculous sometimes.

OK. So there is significant price variation. We can not arrive at a standard. I say just mention the price and the hell with people who is bothered by whatever profit you make! We are mostly hobbyists, very few flippers on this particular board if any. For many of you the profits are chunk change, perhaps except the man of god in training but he gets help from above until he graduates :).
    If you are shy, just say standard thrift price for your area:))

5. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

OK. So there is significant price variation. We can not arrive at a standard. I say just mention the price and the hell with people who is bothered by whatever profit you make! We are mostly hobbyists, very few flippers on this particular board if any. For many of you the profits are chunk change, perhaps except the man of god in training but he gets help from above until he graduates :).
    If you are shy, just say standard thrift price for your area:))

just post the prices - that's part of the find, and sell on B&S for whatever you want!

6. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    Yesterday, over a period of about four hours:

Ties: 3 recent Zegna, 2 Armani, 1 Hilditch & Key and 1 vintage Leo Cerruti CXVIII, all like new, $6 each;

Shirts: 3 Brooks Brothers Slim Fits, 1 RLBL b&w check with french cuffs, 1 no-tag white french cuff shirt, very tailored fit, with thick MOP buttons, 1 RLPL olive corduroy, 1 RL western-style, 1 blue plaid Thomas Pink, 1 Richards tan linen, all in great condition, $6 each;

Blazer: silk, light mustard plaid Tom James custom(?) made in 2008 with double vents and working buttonholes, in perfect condition, $10;

Shoes: RM Williams boots, like new condition, $14.99.

All my size. Feel very lucky.

7. catside

catside Senior member

Hit three stores, NADA.

Passed old and too big for me Dexter loafers marked genuine cordovan. Surprised as I did not know they made them, but also there were microcreases, not as much as I guess would be on a calf shoe but I thought you did not get microcreases with shell. Live and learn!

8. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

I wouldn't post any kind of comparison prices, in case there are thrift store employees who monitor this web site and get crazy pricing ideas.[​IMG]

9. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

I wouldn't post any kind of comparison prices, in case there are thrift store employees who monitor this web site and get crazy pricing ideas.[​IMG]

+1. I've heard store managers talking about raising prices based on the internets. I'm assuming they checked this thread out.

10. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Oh yeah. Picked up a pure cashmere Oxxford sports coat today.

Also two super nice dress shirts, a Zilli and Burini. Has anyone heard of them?

Also a pure cashmere Bullock's sweater.

All in my size. I think it was 12 bucks for all.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1. I've heard store managers talking about raising prices based on the internets. I'm assuming they checked this thread out.
    [​IMG]
    Wow - amazing haul! Burini makes shirts for Brioni. Really nice stuff. I've never seen anything by Zilli in person, but they are a super-luxe label with astronomical prices. Must be damn nice stuff, though! Dress shirts in the $600-$700 area and suits around $8-10k and up, if I remember right.

12. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    And passed up a few Pink and Turnbull & Asser shirts, dated Zegna ties, a pair of Church's loafers (not my size and the insole was destroyed, otherwise in good condition) and, unfortunately, a pair of Alden monkstraps.

The Aldens weren't my size, and were made for a Beverly Hills store but clearly labeled "By Alden". They were in good condition and were only $28. I'm not much of a flipper but checked eBay later and I could have made a nice profit. Went back this morning and, of course, they were gone. Live and learn.

13. catside

catside Senior member

Everybody has access to internet and eBay. I have seen some Goodwills posting stuff at eBay.

14. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Oh yeah. Picked up a pure cashmere Oxxford sports coat today.

l.

Very good shirts. Zilli bought the Eugenio B label , who founded by one of the Burini brothers. The other, which goes by Burini, was bought by Brioni.

15. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Came home empty handed today, but had some near misses: Pendleton navy blazer (a little too small), BB cotton sweater (didn't like the color) and a Loro Piana half zip pullover (not my size). Oh well.

Attachment 53807
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.