• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

odiv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
Vintage Pringle of Scotland 100% cashmere cardigan, size 42, baby blue: $6. A little too small, but I couldn't leave it. Soon to go on B&S forum.
Got pics?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vintage Pringle of Scotland 100% cashmere cardigan, size 42, baby blue: $6. A little too small, but I couldn't leave it. Soon to go on B&S forum.

For $6 what are you going to flip it for?
plain.gif

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
For $6 what are you going to flip it for?
plain.gif

Not looking to get rich, just want to make it worth my while to take measurements, photos and mail it out. Otherwise, I might as well just give it to my wife to wear around the house.

But this leads to an interesting question re: whether I should have just put it in B&S or at least not put what I paid for it in my post. Seems some people are annoyed when they buy an item for 10 times what the seller paid originally even if they are still getting a good deal.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Generally I think it's unwise to post what you paid for things you intend to flip. People get too touchy about it.

There's no reason you shouldn't make a reasonable profit for it. You spent the time finding it, plus (as you said) processing it for sale.

mat135ta

Reaction score
Not looking to get rich, just want to make it worth my while to take measurements, photos and mail it out. Otherwise, I might as well just give it to my wife to wear around the house.

But this leads to an interesting question re: whether I should have just put it in B&S or at least not put what I paid for it in my post. Seems some people are annoyed when they buy an item for 10 times what the seller paid originally even if they are still getting a good deal.

Trading is always easier, if you find the right person to trade to.

illeagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^Generally I think it's unwise to post what you paid for things you intend to flip. People get too touchy about it. There's no reason you shouldn't make a reasonable profit for it. You spent the time finding it, plus (as you said) processing it for sale.
yep... i've never understood the sense of entitlement on these forums with this kind of thing. if i take time out of my day to look through racks and racks of a thrift store and then take pictures, upload it somewhere, go through the trouble of selling and answering buyers' questions and shipping it out, why should i not be allowed to turn that into a profit? i didn't realize that was assumed as a free service around these parts lol... but you're right it's prob not wise to quote your original price and then post it on B&S a few weeks ago I sold a Gucci polo shirt on the bay and someone asked me how much I originally paid for it.... I didn't bother answering their question because I thought that was incredibly rude to ask.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the point of bragging thread, then?
Maybe we should have an index for regular thrift prices for that year, and mention the price only if it is different than the standard otherwise just use an acronym for standard thrift price (STPr).
See if this work:

For 2010-11

Pants 5-10
Jackets 5-10
shirts 2-6
sweaters 5-10
suits 8-15
shoes 5-10
Ties 2-8
Outercoats 5-20

aridhol

Reaction score
I picked up an american eagle outfitters shirt with no pocket and split yoke that fits amazing for $6 and just as I was leaving I saw what looked like a decent suit so I tried it on. It's 100% wool and made by Shipley, which I'm not terribly familiar with. Pants and jacket are in excellent shape and to my untrained eye (and feel) they fit like they were made specifically for me. My only issue is I'd like to get a little soft lining in the pants, is this possible? how much $? Please critique (suit has not been cleaned or pressed and the tie is crooked in my haste sorry).
shipley1.jpg
shipley2.jpg
shipley3.jpg

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aridhol
I picked up an american eagle outfitters shirt with no pocket and split yoke that fits amazing for $6 and just as I was leaving I saw what looked like a decent suit so I tried it on.

It's 100% wool and made by Shipley, which I'm not terribly familiar with. Pants and jacket are in excellent shape and to my untrained eye (and feel) they fit like they were made specifically for me.
My only issue is I'd like to get a little soft lining in the pants, is this possible? how much $?

Please critique (suit has not been cleaned or pressed and the tie is crooked in my haste sorry).

shipley1.jpg
shipley2.jpg
shipley3.jpg

Nice. I would say maybe slim those pants down a touch but other than that it looks good.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
Nice. I would say maybe slim those pants down a touch but other than that it looks good.

Return it. Shoulders on the jacket extend past your shoulder bones.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
Maybe we should have an index for regular thrift prices for that year, and mention the price only if it is different than the standard otherwise just use an acronym for standard thrift price (STPr).
See if this work:

For 2010-11

Pants 5-10
Jackets 5-10
shirts 2-6
sweaters 5-10
suits 8-15
shoes 5-10
Ties 2-8
Outercoats 5-20

wait wait what?!

how are you getting away with payin those prices?

pants $10-20
suits $20-40
shirts $8-15
shoes $20-90 ($90 for some AE's )
ties $5-8
outercoat $35

those are all the standard prices out here

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
See if this work:

For 2010-11

Pants 5-10
Jackets 5-10
shirts 2-6
sweaters 5-10
suits 8-15
shoes 5-10
Ties 2-8
Outercoats 5-20

wait wait what?!

how are you getting away with payin those prices?

pants $10-20
suits $20-40
shirts $8-15
shoes $20-90 ($90 for some AE's )
ties $5-8
outercoat $35

those are all the standard prices out here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics