The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Found this Roberto Cavalli 100% leather jacket
    [​IMG]
    It has some issues, but plan on selling, was wondering what you guys think it would sell for.

10 dollars

I'll buy it [​IMG]

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I've been on a long dry streak, but finally found something today. A bespoke shirt from Bowring Arundel of Savile Row. $1.99. Very well made. Split yoke, side gussets, MOP buttons. Fits me very well. The collar has a bit of a ring around it, so it'll get my stain treatment tonight. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Chillax

Chillax Well-Known Member

Results of last 2 weeks of thrifting:

Hickey Freeman navy pinstripe suit- found the orphan coat then searched for the pants in the pants rack and actually found them- the first time I've ever succeeded in doing that[​IMG]
    Hickey Freeman 1978 camelhair houndstooth sportcoat-caught my eye as I was passing by the women's rack [​IMG]
    Norman Hilton tweed sportcoat
    3 Ike Behar dress shirts
    1 Robert Talbott dress shirt
    1 Robert Talbott Best of Class tie
    BB navy blazer
    9 Tommy Bahama silk shirts for 50 cents each at a church rummage sale[​IMG]
    Florsheim Imperial longwings, barely worn
    NWOB Bass Weejuns
    3 pairs Bally loafers
    Allen Edmonds Breton loafers in navy blue
    BB by Alden captoe Oxfords
    LL Bean full length duck boots, barely worn (a thrifting goal of mine [​IMG] )

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Also-rans included a Saks navy cashmere v-neck and a new sealed in package Remington cordless razor not a day after I had been telling my wife I needed a new one. Not expensive exactly, but paying 12.99 instead of 50 bucks is still nice! [​IMG]

5. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Wow - you sir are on a roll! I've only once seen a PZ Sartoriale item in person - an orphaned suit jacket actually. The quality of that jacket was amazing. What size is it? Do you plan on selling it?
    Suit is a European 50R. Pants are around 34 X 33 cuffed. Nice dark brown with light brown pin stripes. Haven't decided if I'm selling it or keeping it as amazingly it fits almost perfectly.

6. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

You're telling me man. I go places I don't even really have time to go to - was 15 minutes late to class tonight as a result [​IMG]

That's the story of my life! I don't care what is on the agenda, there is always time for some thrifting. I rarely get a large chunk of time just to thrift so it's one store on my lunch break, one on the way to class, one on the way home, etc. That usually means I'm about 15 minutes late to everything.

I think that's why you and I have such luck: we hit 10-15+ places a week. I have one spot alone that's worth a visit at least three times a week and it almost always delivers.

Your closet looks like mine. Strike that, your closet looks like my spare room just outside my closet because I can't even get into my closet anymore [​IMG]

7. DoTheGrownup

DoTheGrownup Senior member

I've been on a long dry streak, but finally found something today. A bespoke shirt from Bowring Arundel of Savile Row. $1.99. Very well made. Split yoke, side gussets, MOP buttons. Fits me very well. The collar has a bit of a ring around it, so it'll get my stain treatment tonight.

Do you like those contrast collar/cuff shirts? I've never tried to pull one off, but maybe someday I'll give it a go. Definitely a very dressed up look.

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I've actually never had one until now. I figure I'll see how it works. It's funny, because I usually think of contrasting cuffs/collars as a very formal piece. However, this shirt is made from an Oxford cloth, which I think of as very casual. The combination of the two should make this a very versitile piece!

9. Last Year's Man

Last Year's Man Senior member

Found a pair of Church's tasselled loafers for £20. They're not in the best condition though...

10. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Passed on a number of items today, including a BB stain resistant tie that had a big stain on it, a couple of crappy Burberry's jackets, a Pal Zileri sportcoat with a strange zig-zag pattern on it and a Samuelsohn suit with a tear on the pocket.

But did buy a H. Freeman MTM suit, navy with light red overcheck. A tad too big for me but thought someone in the B&S forum would want it.

11. catside

catside Senior member

... a BB stain resistant tie that had a big stain on it,...
    [​IMG]

12. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Guys, I'm excited to share this with you. I hope it encourages you to keep up the effort.

I went to one of the most overpriced thrift stores this afternoon, it's 25 percent off day
    for VIP members, Unique Thrift Store.

I was rounded the half way point of looking through the shirts, I came across a very nice
    Turnbull & Asser shirt. I've only seen one once and it was shot. This was in perfect condition
    and priced at $5.95 (so with the discount, $4.46). Size 40 and perfect fit.

Now comes the good part. A few more shirts more and bingo....Kiton
    I've never seen one in real life, was gonna buy it no matter what. Awesome
    blue stripes. The price? $3.95 (with the discount $2.96) size 40 and perfect fit.

I left behind a stained Robert Talbott (high end) for $29.99

It's fun, when it's fun!

13. crashoran

crashoran Well-Known Member

It's fun, when it's fun!

Yeah. But when you live in an area like mine where it seems there are tons of people thrifting for the same stuff it gets kinda old.

14. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Saw and passed on two Wash and Wear Brooks Brothers suits. Also saw an orphaned Louis (tailor) coat out of Zegna fabric.

15. catside

catside Senior member

Nada. Passed a Tom James bespoke suit, which looked nice but huge for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.