1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

So when you say got, you mean it in the literal phrase, as in you went into the store and purchased these goods and they are, in the eyes of the law, your possessions? You just picked up a Brioni leather, a 3 piece, a Super 180 suit, a couple blazers, and a corduroy suit (not a fabric of preference for me but that doesn't matter, isn't an opinion shared by others, nor is my point here)? Guess you decided your wardrobe needed some Brioni, jesus...pretty solid upgrading there. I have that Super 180 suit, the wool on it is so insanely, ridiculously fine (hence the girth measurement of wool fibers being 14 micron) but so fucking silky. It's weird, the finer the wool the more durable it is and the stronger the wool fibers are, but when wearing it, you inherently and instinctively act in accordance to the situation being the polar opposite, due to its hand and weight. Acting like the finest touch will shatter the thing and that your breaking some bones if someone lays hands on you.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  2. Letric

Letric Senior member

Ended up kopping that BBBF x Thom Browne Seersucker SC.

At first I thought it was pretty plain from a construction standpoint, but it actually has some nice little details. Shit's dead NWOT too. Dat sleeve basting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. timhortons

timhortons Senior member

WOW..
    you posted those finds like 'no biggie'

many of us can only dream of a find like that.
    congratulations.

1 person likes this.
  4. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

1 person likes this.
  5. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

The measurement most important and where you should start from is the thigh of the pants. I am not familiar with how it is measured on woolen suit pants, but the BiG and Iron Heart method vary by one inch, either start at the crotch seem and measure all away across from fabric end to fabric end, not seam to seam, to get the thigh measurement, or you do the same exact thing, an inch lower (BiG method).

The thigh has an affect on, and dictates the rise. Your pants are too tight? The thighs are not going to sit where they are intended to, thus neither will the rise, throwing off the entire fit of the pants. The rest of the pants can be altered or changed, but the upper bock is most important in fit and this is almost entirely dictated by the way the thigh fits your body. Also, with some fabrics, stretch can be taken into consideration with other parts of the pants, however not the thigh. Thighs do not give because they are not a joint and do not receive continual and constant pressure from movement that would stretch the area, like knees or waist of your pants do. So the size you purchase is going to be the size you will be wearing for the duration of ownership. They may shrink a little due to warm water exposure, or a lot if they happen to be unsanforized cotton, or something of the like, but they will barely give.

Know the measurements of your thighs, then buy your pants based off the secondary measurements after finding a pair that first fit your thighs. This is the key to finding a well fitting pair of pants. Thigh measurements will correlate with rise, and if you're that big, that you're not fitting into the crotch of the pants that fit your thighs well, either throw that shit down the leg of your pants and walk around like a boss, or get some sweat pants, move to the valley and just fuck for a living. You honestly need Mandingo like proportions if this approach to sizing (or you just cant find the correct sizing), doesn't afford you the necessary real estate to fit you dick in. If you fall into this category, then congrats to you, you have a freakishly massive dick.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  6. costanaconda

costanaconda Senior member

Found these today. Any ideas? Super nice and useful. Made in Italy.

[​IMG]

7. 330CK

330CK Senior member

You're just jealous you missed chicken and waffles

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Dear lord ...

3 people like this.
  9. Takai

Takai Senior member

I was so pissed when I was in ATL that the place I wanted to go to for Chicken and Waffles was apparently closed for renovations or some such.

10. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

I think you're wrong here, man. Everything I've read says that the finer the wool, the less durable the fabric. In fact, that's why workhorse staples shouldn't be too fine if you're wearing them regularly as they'll wear out too quickly.

3 people like this.
  11. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

The next time that you are down this way, I will have to carry you to Yo' Mama's. Best chicken and Belgian waffles I have had the pleasure of eating (and homemade syrup)!

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

This is my understanding as well. The higher the number (i.e. finer the wool strand) the more likely that that suit should be used for special occasions only. A good business suit should be around 120s.

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Plus one.

If the finer wool was more durable, workwear would be made from it rather than thicker fabric.

1 person likes this.
  14. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

Today I hit two stores, pictures already taken, measuring now. Mostly eBay fodder, headed back this week to pick up what appears to be a good Bogner.

This was the fun one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MEOW!

1 person likes this.
  15. Takai

Takai Senior member

Hopefully once I can get some of this backlog converted to stackable green I will be taking a few more trips down your way, and that just sounds fantastic.

Had to go out today and pick up this little guy for someone
    [​IMG]

Then stopped by the thrift across from the zoo, and found
    [​IMG]
    Two mint cotton Oxxford SCable orphans in a 42L Wasnt feeling like buying anything, but if anyone wants them get at me and I'll go pick them up.

Then came across this unfortunate name.
    [​IMG]

And from friday's thrift adventures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the good stuff, right? Fabric feels almost like Sashiko. 38/39R FF Trou Available

Also this lil guy
    [​IMG]
    Oh Hai
    [​IMG]

These are a personal grail find for me.
    [​IMG]
    Ferragamo lavorazione originale, finally a pair of ferragamos that fit. N/A

Also stoked that I tried on the pink brioni I found, and it fits really damn well, even in the sleeves.

Oh, and I found one of these sitting in an underground lot
    [​IMG]
    Thing looks like it's been sitting there for months, the interior is cherry mint though Mmmm...

4 people like this.
  16. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Well this is a brag thread so I figured I'd brag a bit. Not bad for a $4 investment.

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  17. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

This makes me want to get my Catalina item(s) out soon :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  18. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Should I just stay home tomorrow?

1 person likes this.
  19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

will you be in NY? If so, you probably should. "Crippling and Historic" :fu:

[​IMG]

20. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.