1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Funky shoe alert! Never heard of "Bonds" store before. The perforations go all the way through, so the sock color can be seen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Senior member

Unfortunately it's a cloudy day here and I still couldn't get enough sunlight, but at least now I've had some sleep. Here's some better pictures including the pattern codes.
    Thanks to everyone for the helpful links to confirm that these are the real thing. Still trying to figure out a fair price for these, the spread of prices on eBay is huge. Speaking of eBay, I've hated it more every time I've used it to sell lately so I suspect these will be going on B&S once I figure out a price.
    The purple one doesn't have a tag, so I'm not sure if that one was ever worn or if the owner just decided to take the tag off of it before he folded them in a box until it was time to give them away.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

^A few years ago I found a NWT tag Hermes (paid $1, had been marked down), and sold it very quickly in B&S for $100 to a guy in Canada. Although my Hermes experience isn't vast, the NWT carries a lot of extra weight with Hermes as they aren't ever marked down.

Logic doesn't always work with Hermes because there's such an enthusiastic fan base (it's like the Apple of ties). Some of the designs can be quite collectible (I don't pretend to know anything about that).

If it were me, I'd probably list the NWT ties at around $135 ($50 off full retail according to the website) then go to ebay if they hadn't sold by $100-$110. List the non-tagged one as being in "As New/NWOT" condition, and ask $100+. For me at least, it's the most desirable of the bunch.

4. samefly

samefly Member

just a couple new ones that I liked. Really getting addicted to thrifting

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

[​IMG]
    Is it just me, or does the briefcase one look like it has a stain near the top left?

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

^A few years ago I found a NWT tag Hermes (paid $1, had been marked down), and sold it very quickly in B&S for $100 to a guy in Canada. Although my Hermes experience isn't vast, the NWT carries a lot of extra weight with Hermes as they aren't ever marked down.

Logic doesn't always work with Hermes because there's such an enthusiastic fan base (it's like the Apple of ties). Some of the designs can be quite collectible (I don't pretend to know anything about that).

If it were me, I'd probably list the NWT ties at around $135 ($50 off full retail according to the website) then go to ebay if they hadn't sold by $100-$110. List the non-tagged one as being in "As New/NWOT" condition, and ask $100+. For me at least, it's the most desirable of the bunch.

Alan's advice is good - especially on the last tie. You'll be tempted to list it for 60 or 70 bucks or even lower just because you see those prices on ebay - but you probably DO have an actual claim to list it as NWOT/close to it. And yes, that NWOT tie is actually the nicest of the three - I think several people have commented on this. That's probably why it's NWOT - the guy liked it better too!

Don't sell yourself short, but don't hold out forever asking the moon either, there's a fine balance. Good luck on the sale!

My luck this morning has been awful awful awful:
    4-year-old spilled drink on shirt that sold last night on Ebay for $26, after pulling it out of the package that was up on a shelf he had to use a footstool on a chair to get to... $@#* now I have to find a new childproof place
    Shirt went into laundry, making me late...
    Shirt develops hole in laundry... probably was a weak spot there before but no HOLE!
    I have to send buyer a photo and end up refunding him $20. $#!%! At least he agrees to take shipment for the remaining 6.41.
    After Ebay fees and all and the purchase price and gas, I probably still broke even on the shirt, so that's something at least. I have a sinking feeling he's still going to do a chargeback... but it's worth a shot.

Then thrifted a bit:
    Norman Hilton 3/2 cashmere sack... with vent TORN open and moth holes all over

Only pickups in four stores were another R&G shirt (french cuffs this time), a Thomas Pink casual shirt and a Ruehl cashmere sweater. None of them fit me, of course.

Get to the office and my office has been converted into a makeshift wedding chapel (loooong story) so I'm in an empty office on my laptop. Shee-it, my day has GOT to get better from here!

7. tomorrowstars

Thanks for the tips guys. Going to try to be as fair as I can given the awful shipping Canada Post shipping prices to the US.

After Ebay fees and all and the purchase price and gas, I probably still broke even on the shirt, so that's something at least. I have a sinking feeling he's still going to do a chargeback... but it's worth a shot.

In my experience, best outcome in these kinds of situations is that the buyer doesn't leave you negative feedback. For me, negs are way worse than getting one payment charged back (as long as it's not a high-priced item).

8. tomorrowstars

Is it just me, or does the briefcase one look like it has a stain near the top left?
    Flash/shadow. I'll take better pictures for sale. EDIT: Picture before I get some bad press. [​IMG] Also, I've discovered that the store I bought it from put their stupid price code on the purple one. [​IMG] You can't see it unless you pull open the bottom but still [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. crashoran

crashoran Well-Known Member

I received my lambert allen edmonds in 10E from ebay today. The shoes fit good if I tighten them up as much as they give, and wear thicker socks. I think I did a pretty good job of guessing my size for the first time. Next time I might even go to a 9.5-10EE. [​IMG]

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

In my experience, best outcome in these kinds of situations is that the buyer doesn't leave you negative feedback. For me, negs are way worse than getting one payment charged back (as long as it's not a high-priced item).

I agree - the only reason I even agreed to ship it at all was because he seemed very genuinely nice and understanding about the whole situation. Yeah, it's probably going to bite me in the butt... but eh.

11. Expressions Realia

Expressions Realia Well-Known Member

An RL blue label suit, double-vented; ticket pocket, surgeon's cuffs; and a PRL cashmere/wool SC, double-vented; ticket pocket. Both Made in Italy.
    [​IMG]

Great find. That camel color is awesome!

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Flash/shadow. I'll take better pictures for sale.

Yeah, I kinda figured it was just the lighting. It'd be hard to miss a spot that big!

Had an ok day today. Went to a thrift I stopped going to months ago because it was nothing but garbage. Decided to go back today, Came out with a Brioni D/B sportcoat and a Stefano Ricci tie.
    The Brioni is a wool/cashmere blend. Made for Wilkes Bashford. Definitely older, probably from the 80's, judging by the colors. It's a gray herringbone pattern with a brown/teal windowpane. Brown and teal scream late 80's/early 90's to me. Oh well, it was half-off today so I got it for peanuts.

13. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I received my lambert allen edmonds in 10E from ebay today. The shoes fit good if I tighten them up as much as they give, and wear thicker socks. I think I did a pretty good job of guessing my size for the first time. Next time I might even go to a 9.5-10EE.

Don't hold your breath on the EE width. It is out there, but not common. From what I understand it is manufactured primarily for the European market (aligns with their sizing scheme better or some such) and is not a regularly stocked item over here. Also not made in every style. It isn't a problem to get if you're buying from AE, but finding them on ebay isn't as easy as E or EEE.

This comes from an SA at Allen Edmonds, and I feel your pain (well, it only really hurts if I wear D). I'm sometimes between the E and EEE, but a little stretch on an E in the right places works fine, and actually makes the overall fit better. No competition worries though, I'm a 10.5!

14. tomorrowstars

If anyone's interested, the ties are now on B&S. I'll probably do a price-drop-bump this weekend but I wanted to get them up as quickly as possible.

15. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

Lovely scarf that would work as a PS - or so I thought!
    [​IMG]

Too big, will be a gift for the missus instead! Thrifted from Sweden's eBay. I also got some nice clothes from one of my thrift shops, Alain Paine lambwool sweater, Tino Cofina dotted silk tie, Sulka silk PS and a Giorgio Armani tie. Pics will probably arrive tomorrow.

16. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Really interesting Zegna tie today. I haven't seen this type of contrast stitching on the back before: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Also found a few PRLs in decent patterns and a cool PRL flannel sport shirt. Not bad for 30 minutes.

17. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Wierd. That tag/logo screams fake, but the construction and care/fabric content tag look authentic.

18. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Exactly. It's self-tipped and made of heavy 100% seta silk (according the tag but it feels more like a linen/silk mix.) I'm tempted to just guess it's vintage but the contrast stitching doesn't seem to fit. Also, the tag is made of the same silk as the tie with Zegna woven in the fabric itself. [​IMG]

19. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

^^
    I had, and sold a Zegna tie with that same heavy contrasting stitch. Can't find the pictures though. When I had it, the construction and fabric was so good, it never occurred to me to question its authenticity.

Also, today I found this T&A sport coat/suit jacket with pick stitching and ticket pocket. Shame the sleeves are so short. Its like 3" too short and only has 1.5" to let out. Grrr...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. mainy

mainy Senior member

decent day today-
    armani shirt
    dolce and gabanna shirt
    2 robert graham shirts
    a zegna suit
    some bills khakis
    2 john varvatos shirts
    pretty sweet baracuda jacket... in corduroy!
    something else i can't remmeber!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.