• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And a huge, huge shout out to leafandarrow for the sickest and nastiest vintage Irvin RAF sheepskin and shearling bomber jacket. One of these has been on my grail bucket list since long before I was aware of styleforum. Another one crossed off!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

J Crew sweatshirt from Ian
Rag & Bone Officer boots on massive discount from my work spot.

Oh wow. That jacket is Uh-Mazing!

And just went from your grail list to mine!

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eazy that coat for your wife is 7 levels beyond next level, excellent find

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hollerrrr!

Thrifted:
BB shirt
J Crew Made in USA 38R Jacket (flea market for 25 bucks)
Talbott BOC Tie
Pocket Square

I think I've filled in this jacket nicely. It was a bit big for me when I first got it, but I really love it and it fits my shoulders super well now! Glad I waited to have it altered. I had two tweed jackets that I had tailored that are a bit tight now. Still wearable but...

Pupatl

Reaction score
The saga of The Sid Mashburn Suit continues. Seriously, I went to this place called Hong Kong Tailors today to get some work done on a suit; the work isn't complete yet, but the process seemed a bit more smooth.
Hong Kong Tailors is right around the corner from my house - I have only had alterations and repairs done there (they fixed a pair of Kiton pants for me last year that had a slight issue in one pocket but was otherwise still ok). They are nice guys, and I've been happy with the (again limited amount of) work they have done for me.

TJGent87

Reaction score
Nice combination here, what kind of alterations did you get?
Hollerrrr! Thrifted: BB shirt J Crew Made in USA 38R Jacket (flea market for 25 bucks) Talbott BOC Tie Pocket Square I think I've filled in this jacket nicely. It was a bit big for me when I first got it, but I really love it and it fits my shoulders super well now! Glad I waited to have it altered. I had two tweed jackets that I had tailored that are a bit tight now. Still wearable but...

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a Harry rosen cable knit 100% alpaca wool in beige size L, and a faconnable patchwork tie.

TJGent87

Reaction score
Great finds man, wish I could find some black fleece to add to my own closet. :embar:

My meager finds from the last few weeks. Available where noted.
Gitman slim fit micro gingham spread collar. My size, N/A

N/A, already on it's way to Gmmcl's closet.

I don't normally pick up Canali, but when I do, it's a recent, 2 button, dual vented, silk, linen and cotton number. Available.

Dope, custom midnight blue shawl collar jacket for my wife, totally handmade. N/A

PRL quilted hunting jacket, size medium but fits like a large. Available.

Hand-blocked in England paisley bow, N/A

Blogger blue VV tie, probably available.

Ben Silver ocbd, one small spot that should come out with the treatment. Sz 16.5x33, available

Kitten for the big boys. Size 18 and available

Shout out to Gmmcl for the newest addition to my tie wardrobe.

And a huge, huge shout out to leafandarrow for the sickest and nastiest vintage Irvin RAF sheepskin and shearling bomber jacket. One of these has been on my grail bucket list since long before I was aware of styleforum. Another one crossed off!!! :slayer:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My meager finds from the last few weeks. Available where noted.
Gitman slim fit micro gingham spread collar. My size, N/A

N/A, already on it's way to Gmmcl's closet.

I don't normally pick up Canali, but when I do, it's a recent, 2 button, dual vented, silk, linen and cotton number. Available.

Dope, custom midnight blue shawl collar jacket for my wife, totally handmade. N/A

PRL quilted hunting jacket, size medium but fits like a large. Available.

Hand-blocked in England paisley bow, N/A

Blogger blue VV tie, probably available.

Ben Silver ocbd, one small spot that should come out with the treatment. Sz 16.5x33, available

Kitten for the big boys. Size 18 and available

Shout out to Gmmcl for the newest addition to my tie wardrobe.

And a huge, huge shout out to leafandarrow for the sickest and nastiest vintage Irvin RAF sheepskin and shearling bomber jacket. One of these has been on my grail bucket list since long before I was aware of styleforum. Another one crossed off!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Wow, just wow!
fing02[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Kapital's designs. Even some of their less gaudy pieces remind me of those exposed button fly jeans, and I'm completely turned off.

To chime in on the Sugar Cane discussion, I've owned 4 different pairs of Sugar Canes, and they are definitely on par with my Samurais/Iron Hearts/etc. in terms of overall "quality" (if that term can be used as a singular descriptor). They have all of the details people look for (chain stitched hems, hidden pocket rivets, raised belt loops, pocket linings, cool pocket bags, button fly, interesting fabrics, etc) for the models that are sold through places like Self Edge. I can't speak to the cheaper models you can import from Rakuten or whatever, but IMO, Sugar Cane is definitely on the higher tier of things.

And as much as I love my 634s', Iron Heart is definitely not "THE" grail in terms of Japanese denim. They try to focus on one thing, SUPER heavy weight denim, and they do it really well. My pair is in their signature 21 oz fabric, and it's as comfortable as other pairs that are half the weight. Apparently Iron Heart's reputation in Japan is as a brand for people specifically looking for the motorcyclist or biker look, in a heavy weight denim. It's only in the US that people speak to IH as the be all/end all of brands. Probably from their ~$375 price point, which is about $75 more than most other top tier brands.

IH is also part of the Triple Works Co. My pairs of Triple Works jeans are of equal construction in my opinion, but due to the slimmer fits/lighter weight fabrics, they aren't as obsessed over as Iron Heart is.

That all said, I love all my Japanese denim from Momos to Samurai to SC to IH, and I also love lower tier brands like Gustin, for what they do and what market they serve. Their $81 price point is really great for the quality you get. I don't own any Gustin currently, but in the past I've been impressed with the fact that they hit many of the same details pay a premium for.
+1

Don't get me wrong, makers such as Studio D'Artisans, The Flat Head, and others also make super heavy denim, Iron Heart is just known for making just about every model they release super heavy which is why they are pretty hyped up here. In the end, they are just jeans. But I do have to say, my IHSH33's quality > my Flat Head 7001 in terms of construction and details.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice combination here, what kind of alterations did you get?
Nothing on this jacket. I just let this one sit, which was a smarter move in this case.

On the other two I had the waist and chest brought in a little. Now they're a bit too tight on my shoulders. If I lift up my arms they pull super hard. I'll live with it for this season, but I'll likely have to have them altered again next fall before I start wearing them again.

I think I'm going to start using a different tailor as well as this one has taken 3-4 tries to get a pair of pants done and another issue always seems to pop up. It wasn't like they went, "Oh, you need this this and this done," which is something I wanted. I.e. treat me like a fool and tell me all the alterations I need to have the pants fit me properly. I don't need that suit for a bit, so I'll be fine, but it's annoying. At the rate I'm 'growing', I have a feeling that the jacket will be too small by the time I need it! Hahaha.

R01gt

Reaction score

Best shirt haul from a single store to date. the rest of the stack (5 more) were zenga's, all XXLT. The borrelli is the fattest most awesome linen ever. Can't figure out how to rotate picture...
Nice shirt haul! Reminds me a little of the Turnbull & Asser cache I ran into a few months back. So awesome when you find great things every other shirt in the rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads