1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Had Tailorbyrd shirt I thrifted whose pattern I liked a LOT, but it was, alas, too small. I ended up reluctantly giving it back to GW (and coming across it again the next week at a different store, haha). Quality wise, it didn't seem much better than Banana Republic, though, and I've come across some other shirts by them that are Capital H Hi-De-Ous

[​IMG]

Haha, no, it's just odd to have two other people talk about a specific place that I know. Now when I go into the Goodwills, I'm eyeing everyone up and down: "Is he one of Us?" It's like when you start dating someone, you kinda forget for a little while that other people were there first [​IMG]

Barb

Dont worry about this guy! I told you my secret spots in SF. Now keep that between us and you're good to go. [​IMG]

2. contrarycomet

contrarycomet Member

Haha, no, it's just odd to have two other people talk about a specific place that I know. Now when I go into the Goodwills, I'm eyeing everyone up and down: "Is he one of Us?" It's like when you start dating someone, you kinda forget for a little while that other people were there first [​IMG]

LOL. I was out doing the do this weekend and overheard some guy boasting about bagging a Brioni at a GW. Probably an orphan, but I still wanted to cut him. [​IMG] When you're a Jet...

Hm. SF swap meet? Or has that been done to death?

3. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

forrgot to post pics of the Loden Frey duffle coat i found a little while back that's mint, and fits perfect. Unfortunately i can't use it often, because it just doesn't stay cold in Texas for long. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Pretty good weekend. Lots of bits and pieces, but the highlights were:

* Older Burberry DB trench coat.
    * Zegna for Wilkes Bashford SC. Includes a label that says "Centoventimila" -- I think this refers to the fabric, but anyone know for sure?

Not sure. Literally it means "120000", so maybe it refers to Super 120s, just as 15Mil15 refers to Super 150s fabric.

5. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

Barb Dont worry about this guy! I told you my secret spots in SF. Now keep that between us and you're good to go. [​IMG]
    How'd you decide to go with "Barb" from a name that starts with "Bart," by the way? And really, are there any "secret spots" in SF, if you're a resident? There's GW, SA, and Out of the Closet. The first centrally distributes, and the others only have a handful of stores. If you've figured out which ones tag shirts through the yoke ([​IMG]) and which ones overprice, you've pretty much figured out which ones aren't the secret spots.
    LOL. I was out doing the do this weekend and overheard some guy boasting about bagging a Brioni at a GW. Probably an orphan, but I still wanted to cut him. [​IMG] When you're a Jet... Hm. SF swap meet? Or has that been done to death?
    That actually might be interesting??? There's the SF meet up, but I don't think any other thrifters were there (were you guys?). I went to the last meet up and listened to those guys talk about their Neapolitan tailor's recommendations for cleaning their sport coats and which fabrics they chose for their bespoke pants, while I'm wearing an outfit of entirely thrifted pieces. [​IMG] How many of us thrifters are in SF?

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ At the next one, ask them where and when they're going to make their next clothing donation! [​IMG] I know a couple SF big-timers who don't sell on B/S, but donate their stuff instead. Pejsek (SF thrifter who used to find mind-blowing stuff) was almost positive he found some uber high-end shoes from a certain SFer from time to time. I think he did find an old WAYWN photo of the member wearing the same shoes!

7. mainy

mainy Senior member

i plan on scoring huge tomorrow. simply because i haven't found anything awesome in like a month.

8. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

9. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

I went to the last meet up and listened to those guys talk about their Neapolitan tailor's recommendations for cleaning their sport coats and which fabrics they chose for their bespoke pants, while I'm wearing an outfit of entirely thrifted pieces. [​IMG] How many of us thrifters are in SF?

I'm proud when i put together a good outfit with thrifted items.

Here's today's Brioni heavy ensemble lol:

Brioni 100% cashmere sport coat - 7 bucks
    Brioni shirt - 4 bucks
    Brioni pants - 5 bucks
    Shell Cordovan Aldens - 6 Bucks

Not to shabby for 22 bucks!

10. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

i plan on scoring huge tomorrow. simply because i haven't found anything awesome in like a month.

Yea, tomorrow im going back to the place i found my shoes last week hoping they have more stuff they hadnt put out yet. I need more stuff for me LOL

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I've always referred to you as "barbletooth"

[​IMG]

12. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

No worries, csouk. If you say it went for over 1790 then I'd want you to get close to that amount especially since you're unemployed. [​IMG]

Very nice coat though

Indeed! I found an almost identical one in 2007, a Loro Piana black deerskin carcoat with cream cashmere lining, for $34.99 at VV.

It was def. more worn than yours, and hugely too big for me, so I sold it eBay for about $780, I think, and used the money to buy stuff in my own size.

13. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

I've always referred to you as "barbletooth"! I think I'm dyslexic. [​IMG]
    Be careful if you say his name 3 times he will appear LOL Barbletooth.......Barbletooth.......Barbletooth [​IMG]

14. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

^^ At the next one, ask them where and when they're going to make their next clothing donation! [​IMG]

I know a couple SF big-timers who don't sell on B/S, but donate their stuff instead. Pejsek (SF thrifter who used to find mind-blowing stuff) was almost positive he found some uber high-end shoes from a certain SFer from time to time. I think he did find an old WAYWN photo of the member wearing the same shoes!

Ooooh, good idea. I'll have start seeding items to see how widely the donation/display lag varies so I can use my insider info to donation-stalk with sniperly precision.

I'm proud when i put together a good outfit with thrifted items.

Well, I was being SF unapproved: I wore a pinstripe odd jacket [​IMG]

But seeing as pretty much all of my clothing right now is thrifted...

Be careful if you say his name 3 times he will appear LOL Barbletooth.......Barbletooth.......Barbletooth

[​IMG]

If it didn't require the effort to download, crop, and reupload that, it would probably be my avatar right now.

15. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

If it didn't require the effort to download, crop, and reupload that, it would probably be my avatar right now.
    does this work? [​IMG] actually that looks to big, but this one should work! http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/ima...ine=1149056699

16. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

Content with my score, and about to rush out (seeing as I picked the place apart to no avail on Sat) I notice a rack of about 10 mint shirts all in my size (obviously part of one donation that just came in) I quickly tried on about 7 of them, and kept a NWT Zanella, NWOT Tailorbyrd?, and NWOT Paul & Shark? Never heard of the last 2, but the quality was amazing (especially the Paul and Shark - super thick MOP buttons, nice trim fit, amazing feel) Left a bunch of once or twice worn Robert Talbott staple solid blue and white shirts as they were all a tad too generously cut.

I got out of there in about 10 minutes, makes me wonder what else was in that donation that I didn't have time to look for.......[​IMG]

IMO Taylorbyrd makes a nice shirt...definitely worth picking up if the price was right.

17. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

well considering anything over $20 is profit im cool with that!!

Insane! That's a helluva find! [​IMG]

On another note....I spied a "Canali for Bloomingdales" SC yesterday for a steal....what can the learned ones tell me about this particular line?

18. jobro

jobro Senior member

Anyone come across nice suspenders/braces recently?

19. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Anyone come across nice suspenders/braces recently?

I've picked up some very nice ones. Are you looking for some?

20. jobro

jobro Senior member

I've picked up some very nice ones. Are you looking for some?

I am indeed. They don't seem to be available to often on B&S or eBay and the availability in my local stores is limited to prices of $150+.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.