1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

2. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

This is off topic, but if you were going to get a suit made out of one of these fabrics, and you already had the basics covered in your closet, which would you chose?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  3. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

I vote for Super 150's Wine.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sam Edge

Sam Edge Well-Known Member

Oh, oh, oh! It could be called "What We Left Behind".
    And I could post about the the mountains of Stafford and Haggar and the occasional Armani I leave for all the really lucky flippers in Rochester.

2 people like this.
  5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

You say you already have the basics, but there's a lot of solid gray there. So I'm not sure what to believe. If you don't already have a gray flannel suit, get that. Definitely. If you do, then my next choice would be slate gray birdseye -- assuming that has a slightly bluish cast. After that, it would be one not on your list: Glen plaid. If you don't have one, you need one. Light gray with a blue overcheck. Don't go too small on the scale; not quite FU but close. After that, it'd be the windowpane (fabric #2). Finally, if you're having them made, consider features that allow you to use them as separates as well -- especially the two middle fabrics. This would mean maybe patch pockets, or a ticket pocket. Just my $.02

2 people like this.
  6. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Great feedback. I've got dark navy and dark gray covered. I'm looking for something that's just a tad more casual, and fun. I don't have light/mid gray covered, so I am leaning toward that, but the patterned browns and solid wines/eggplant are compelling just for fun's sake. I've only looked through my tailor's online fabric selection, so I'm not sure about the Glenn Plaids, but that was my first choice as well. However, the ones they had available online looked too close to FU. If they have a more subtle Glenn Plaid, I'll definitely chose that.

While I agree with you about the gray flannel, I just don't have much cause for a flannel suit. I already wear a suit so seldom as to make having more than three or four pointless, and I live in a climate where we only get below 75 for a couple months out of the year, and then only for a few days at a time, so it's hard for me to justify a flannel suit right now, even though I'd really like one.

Definitely going with dual vents and a ticket pocket. Maybe patch pockets too. Hadn't thought of that.

7. tben

tben Senior member

I'm with you. Good advice. But I am partial to fabric 2 as a first choice. I have a suit that's similar in style, and I am very fond of it.

And patch pockets would look excellent with this fabric as well, IMO.

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Cool find the other day. Possibly the nicest thing I've found in a bit.

Moon tweed, patch pockets with a flap, pattern matched elbow patches, throat latch, surgeons cuffs.

40R, but sadly a little too tight for me :/ so it's available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoulders 18.5
    Length 30
    PTP 21
    W 19
    Sleeves 25

7 people like this.
  9. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

If I had absolutely no spare time in Midtown Manhattan this weekend, but could possibly sneak away from my wife and dear, darling child Friday between, say, 2 and 3:30, who would hang out with me?

10. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Measurements?

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Light gray allows you to use the trousers as your staple, go-to pants for separates. In fact, I'd get 2 pairs. The jacket won't be usable as a separate, but the pants will do yoeman's work. Noticing now your location, I agree -- the cashmeres and flannels don't make a helluva lot of sense. A red suit is.... yeah, no. Even brown. I'd definitely go gray before anything else. As for glenplaid, you're aiming for something like this: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] YMMV, but these are among the favorites I've ever owned. First and last didn't fit right, so they're history, but I'm 100% on the lookout for something similar that fits.

1 person likes this.
  12. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Stuff we leave behind?????

[​IMG] I've already won this. the stuff i leave behind would make you flip your desk. i have been going easy on you guys......[​IMG]

13. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I left behind my girlfriend once because she ran into a friend at a Goodwill and I didn't have time for that shit.

15 people like this.
  14. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Here's the fabric and lining I ended up picking for mine. Three piece, lapels on both the jacket and vest, double vents and ticket pocket, side tabs on the pants:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Official chicago pizza thread derail: chicago pizza and oven grinder co or Dante's

16. timhortons

timhortons Senior member

17. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

i know someone who'd be all over this :nest:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    5 people like this.
  18. eazye

eazye Senior member

Mmmmmmmmm......oven grinder......

19. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Is this the recent label?
    [​IMG]
    i like how they put the tag in. better than a hole in the fabric.
    [​IMG]

And a half ounce of gold in my desk while looking for a ruler.
    [​IMG]
    The desk yields gold for a second time this month.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  20. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

You have an extremely weird sense of fun, I never thought it would be fun to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on some clothing to "have fun". If you could pick up something like that at thrift or eBay prices I could see it. Having a custom made suit in a "fun pattern or color" does not strike me as sensible at all. Buy a fun scarf or pocket square, buy a fun hat, even some burgundy suede shoes. I guess my question would be do you see yourself wearing a wine colored suit enough to justify the cost?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.