1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

^ WITH trees?!?

Yep. [​IMG]

2. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

Alright, I thought that too, but I guess it was worth a shot.

However, as Nataku said, you could definitely make it work with less tailoring. I just kinda assumed you wanted to make it fit better than a RTW shirt if you were going through the hassle of taking it to a tailor. Not there is anything wrong with RTW at all. Still.. Great find and I hope it works for you!

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

On the road this week, and visited some old haunts. Struck out at most, hit gold at one: 2 Isaia 7 fold ties, 8 Nicky ties (including 5 cashmere), a Cesare Gatti narrow wool tie, 3 Truzzi shirts and a made in France Lacoste linen/cotton short sleeve button up.

4. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

Ugggghhhh.....today must be fake Hermes day. First stop at a place that is usually a gold mine but came up empty on the ties (several mid-level but nothing exciting). So, I figured I'd peek into the women's handbag section which was right beside the ties. BAM!! After moving the first bag found a Hermes Birkin bag!!!! [​IMG] But, alas, upon better inspection...she wasa fake. [​IMG]

2nd stop at a decent place that often produces modest returns...2 vintage Hermes ties in the $1.50 range!!! [​IMG] ....closer look....also fakes. [​IMG]

Oh well better luck next time I suppose. [​IMG]

5. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

Ugggghhhh.....today must be fake Hermes day. First stop at a place that is usually a gold mine but came up empty on the ties (several mid-level but nothing exciting). So, I figured I'd peek into the women's handbag section which was right beside the ties. BAM!! After moving the first bag found a Hermes Birkin bag!!!! [​IMG] But, alas, upon better inspection...she wasa fake. [​IMG]

2nd stop at a decent place that often produces modest returns...2 vintage Hermes ties in the $1.50 range!!! [​IMG] ....closer look....also fakes. [​IMG]

Oh well better luck next time I suppose. [​IMG]

Are you entirely sure the two ties were fake? Hermes occasionally has produced some pretty offbeat neck garb over the years.

6. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

Are you entirely sure the two ties were fake? Hermes occasionally has produced some pretty offbeat neck garb over the years.

You know, I'm not entirely sure. However they were pretty wide and not of a classic pattern for them. I could beat myself now for not checking the threading direction. The underside label was darkish green and the inner lining had a fairly poorly done Hermes carriage logo. There were no other disctinctive markings on the ties.

7. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

You know, I'm not entirely sure. However they were pretty wide and not of a classic pattern for them. I could beat myself now for not checking the threading direction. The underside label was darkish green and the inner lining had a fairly poorly done Hermes carriage logo. There were no other disctinctive markings on the ties.

The inner lining had a carriage logo? Uh, I'd say that was fake - though there may very well have been something unusual but real. For example, the first time (and only) I saw a Heavy Silk tie, I thought it was fake at first, since it had the H logo lining and a different narrow-end woven-in logo - but upon further inspection, it's real as far as I can tell.

Width in and of itself isn't a fake-spotter *on its own* - some of the older ties CAN be 4 inches - I have one of these and yeah, it isn't worn much right now, but is it real? as far as I can tell!

Here's two guides I've found invaluable, among others you can find on Google:
    http://www.ggyy5978.com/real.php

http://reviews.ebay.com/Genuine-Herm...00000002376518

Caveat lector - I'm no Spoo or other big-timer. I've only had perhaps 20 Hermes ties, but I've researched pretty extensively and have spotted a handful of fakes in thrifts. Just trying to be helpful!

8. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Found a nice Samuelsohn suit, very nice, smooth wool,
    Hugo Boss suit,
    Southwick SC,
    Burberrys SC,
    AE black 13 B Bridgeton loafers,
    Cole Haan, (made in US) sz 12 cap toe balmorals,
    New, damaged Sesto Muecci womens 6.5 B lizard western boots. The leggings are lizard, the foot area is leather. Something got spilled on the leather and I will likely have to re-dye both to get them to match.
    Post pix later.

9. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

The inner lining had a carriage logo? Uh, I'd say that was fake - though there may very well have been something unusual but real. For example, the first time (and only) I saw a Heavy Silk tie, I thought it was fake at first, since it had the H logo lining and a different narrow-end woven-in logo - but upon further inspection, it's real as far as I can tell.

Width in and of itself isn't a fake-spotter *on its own* - some of the older ties CAN be 4 inches - I have one of these and yeah, it isn't worn much right now, but is it real? as far as I can tell!

Caveat lector - I'm no Spoo or other big-timer. I've only had perhaps 20 Hermes ties, but I've researched pretty extensively and have spotted a handful of fakes in thrifts. Just trying to be helpful!

Yeah, the inner lining had a large carriage logo and I had never seen a green stay tag. Also, there was no other marking whatsoever on the ties. The width I was chalking up to them being vintage and didn't bother me too much except for the fact that I would not wear them myself at that 4".

I appreciate all the input, that's one of the things that makes this site great! [​IMG]

10. jobro

jobro Senior member

If you guys do find fake ties, do they knot okay or are you simply looking for the name, most likely to flip.

11. matstyleku

matstyleku Senior member

Alright, I thought that too, but I guess it was worth a shot.

problem the number one reason why I haven't gotten many shirts lately. Before, I would just pick them up if it was a good brand and fit okay, but I soon realized getting something that fits is a hell of a lot better than buying some brand name that doesn't. It doesn't help that traditional fits don't fit you. I've come to the conclusions that BB slim fit doesn't even fit right and I don't think Extra slim will be showing up at the thrifts any time soon.

12. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Gotta point out that supporting fakes is a bad thing regardless of where you find them. I don't expect anyone to agree with this, but in at least one case, I gave a label that was already loose a hard jerk, just to make it less likely anyone mistook it for an Hermes.

Of course, there's the simple fact that it's a piece of, maybe polyester, maybe silk, maybe whatever... and you could wrap it around your neck. So yes, in that sense, it's still a TIE - just not one I'd ever want to wear personally, nor encourage anyone else to. Flipping doesn't even really enter into it at that point.

13. jobro

jobro Senior member

Gotta point out that supporting fakes is a bad thing regardless of where you find them. I don't expect anyone to agree with this, but in at least one case, I gave a label that was already loose a hard jerk, just to make it less likely anyone mistook it for an Hermes.
    Say, for instance, that you were that next person to come along to the tie with no markings in an appealing style similar to Hermes, what are the chances of you picking it up?

14. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

+1
    this is an awesome post
    i just went to look at all my hermes ties and they are all real, i knew that before, but i didnt know there were such official ways to check

15. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Say, for instance, that you were that next person to come along to the tie with no markings in an appealing style similar to Hermes, what are the chances of you picking it up?

Speaking for myself, I've occasionally picked up ties that are not name brands, or even brandless, because I like them. At op shop prices, you only need to get a couple of wears out of them to be worth it.

I'd be less inclined to do that for more substantial items that they want to charge more for, but I have still gone for brands like Rivers, Gant, Abboud and such because they would do the job at the right price.

I'm not much of a flipper. I pretty much still own everything I have bought with the intent of flipping. Don't have the knack.

16. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

For me personally? Zero - there's just too much else out there, too many great ties with known labels* and therefore something known about their construction/materials. I don't pick up no-label ties (with ONE exception: I did once pick up a Hermes that was missing the back keeper, because I could tell the tie was genuine - I've since found another keeper for it, but I'll never resell it because of this) Yes, quality is more important than labels. God knows I've discovered brands that way. But in a contest between known vs. unknown? Gonna go with the known every time. *Note - it doesn't have to be premium to be known - I have a drawerful of BB ties and others to show for that!

17. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

problem the number one reason why I haven't gotten many shirts lately. Before, I would just pick them up if it was a good brand and fit okay, but I soon realized getting something that fits is a hell of a lot better than buying some brand name that doesn't. It doesn't help that traditional fits don't fit you. I've come to the conclusions that BB slim fit doesn't even fit right and I don't think Extra slim will be showing up at the thrifts any time soon.

Yeah that's a big problem with me, I'm young and a slimmer fit would suit me much better. I've thought of two alternatives.. I can either pay a lot for tailoring to get my good finds altered to fit me well, or I can sell the nice finds and hopefully get enough money to get something nice in a store. Not sure what to do, that's why I was looking for opinions to see if it was worth it.

18. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

For me personally? Zero - there's just too much else out there, too many great ties with known labels* and therefore something known about their construction/materials. I don't pick up no-label ties (with ONE exception: I did once pick up a Hermes that was missing the back keeper, because I could tell the tie was genuine - I've since found another keeper for it, but I'll never resell it because of this)

Yes, quality is more important than labels. God knows I've discovered brands that way. But in a contest between known vs. unknown? Gonna go with the known every time.

*Note - it doesn't have to be premium to be known - I have a drawerful of BB ties and others to show for that!

For farking ties? You're seriously afraid of bad quality on a $1 thrifted tie, even if you like the pattern. Unless you're flipping exclusively, that's actually kind of sad.

Ties are colored strips of fabric that hang around your neck and look pretty. They're not taking a beating on the pavement with all sorts of moisture and abrasion like shoes are. They're not constantly in motion like pants or a jacket. They have to hang straight, and make a decent knot. And look okay.

Quality may be a factor in ensuring long life for a tie. Cheaper fabrics wear faster, cheaper linings might lose their shape over time. But those things won't be noticeable for a while, if ever. But you're paying a buck or two for the thing. Do you really care if it lasts 2000 wears or 20? Any quality difference that's going to matter is something you should be able to tell without looking at the label anyway.

I pick up ties that I like regardless of brand fairly often. Actually, not so much right now, because I don't get enough chances to wear them right now to really justify picking up more and more. Unless they're really cool (justification for picking up every wool or knit I find, more or less).

19. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

Exasperating story. In Saver's, looking for a DB jacket, among other things. Misplaced on the rack, a navy peacoat, collar curled up from being buttoned maybe, a little dirty. Solid navy anchor buttons, 80% wool 20% nylon, brand unknown to me but beautiful solid heavy construction, zero visible wear. The fookin thing fits me like I had it bespoke made. Girl down the aisle eyeballing the plot. Seven bucks. What the fangool am I gonna do with a nice heavy peacoat in Maui? Sigh, Poinz

20. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

Those are some great guides. I actually have a couple of Hermes ties that don't really fit into either of the guides that are linked above, and yet I really do believe that they're authentic.

They're both 2.5" wide at their widest point, and neither have patterns that one would typically associate with the label. The main reason that I believe them to be real is that they also have tags from Maus & Hoffman on them, and I really, really doubt they would be into selling fakes (or that someone would go through such an elaborate ruse). Based on the M&H tags and style of the tie, I'm guessing they're 60s or maybe even 50s (is that possible?).

If anyone is interested in seeing them, I'll get some photos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.