• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

que

Reaction score
tys i just asked the manager if she had a mannequin and she disrobed one

Chillax

Reaction score
Went into a church thrift that I've recently started hitting but until today had not produced anything. After a fruitless search I was walking out when I noticed at the end of a rack-not on the rack itself- was hanging a black overcoat. The material seemed nice.The tag identified it as a "Teller" coat which I had never heard of. I put it on and within seconds I was burning up-the thing is really warm. I looked in a mirror- the coat is 3/4 length with a really handsome cut, the narrow lapels giving it a vintage-y look. Perfect condition and fits me very well. This coat is fully the equal of overcoats I've seen recently at Saks Off 5th marked down to $500. Price: $10.

Other finds in the last 2 weeks:

Navy 100% cashmere turtleneck by J. Crew
Authentic Harris Tweed sportcoat in blue and burnt orange- fits me perfectly
Vintage alpaca/wool cardigan- unusual shade of blue
Dark red 100% cashmere v-neck sweater by AJ "Colours"- don't normally like Colours but this is nice
Burgundy/blue sweater vest in Shetland wool by RL "Chaps"-same comment as above re: Chaps
Seafoam green trousers by RL Polo- for next spring
Navy/light blue windowpane cotton trousers by RL Polo
Jeans by Lucky-in a very attractive and unusual dark shade
Navy cotton light jacket by RL Polo- nice jacket with metal snaps
Light brown Armani Collezioni dress shirt
Plaid shirts for fall by various
Light brown cargo pants by J Crew
Dark brown corded jeans by Izod
AE Graysons in burgundy calf- with wooden shoe trees
Blue paisley silk braces

Passed on: T&A shirt (too small),2 Talbott ties (ugly) Facconable and Zegna shirts (too big), HF suit (motheaten),4 pairs Bill's Khakis in 4 colors (too big, damn)

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, either San Diego has so many flippers that they cleaned out the stores before I got to them, I just happened to hit 7 in a row on a bad day or they all just suck. I can't believe it - even in Minnesota, out of 7 stores I'll find at least one thing worth buying.

Oh well - we were down in the area anyway for a wedding, so it's not like we wasted a 1 1/2 drive one way for nothing. Still, with all the money floating around the area I was expecting to find something nice. One nice tie at the very least. Well, I'm definitely looking forward to hitting my usual thrift circuit in back home in Minnesota.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Well, either San Diego has so many flippers that they cleaned out the stores before I got to them, I just happened to hit 7 in a row on a bad day or they all just suck. I can't believe it - even in Minnesota, out of 7 stores I'll find at least one thing worth buying.

Oh well - we were down in the area anyway for a wedding, so it's not like we wasted a 1 1/2 drive one way for nothing. Still, with all the money floating around the area I was expecting to find something nice. One nice tie at the very least. Well, I'm definitely looking forward to hitting my usual thrift circuit in back home in Minnesota.

Funny, last Spring I was in San Diego for a wedding and hit a bunch of thrift stores, and also totally struck out. Go figure.

Everyone's been having so much luck lately though, I should start hitting more thrifts, I haven't been getting out to them much lately.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CasmirRadon
Funny, last Spring I was in San Diego for a wedding and hit a bunch of thrift stores, and also totally struck out. Go figure.

Everyone's been having so much luck lately though, I should start hitting more thrifts, I haven't been getting out to them much lately.

SoCal is hippie playground. You have a lot of people from Oregon and San Francisco combing the area for any decent finds and ebay the crap out of the merchandise. This was acknowledged, off the record, by employees of the larger thrift stores.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Recent Zegna sportcoat - not an orphan, an actual SC for once!

how can you tell the difference between an orphaned suit coat and a real sport coat?

i know gold buttons, but looking on the nordstrom site most zegna sportcoats don't have gold buttons

do you tell by the designs like windowpane?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
how can you tell the difference between an orphaned suit coat and a real sport coat?

i know gold buttons, but looking on the nordstrom site most zegna sportcoats don't have gold buttons

do you tell by the designs like windowpane?

Anything terrifically loud or in a casual material, should be considered as a sports jacket.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This weekend I scored unworn Alden PTB's (#8 Shell) for a whopping $75.
smile.gif

BicesterRules

Reaction score
Just went into a Red Cross shop in Dhaka (Bangladesh, not Texas) and got myself two pairs of essentially unused JL Paris City I and II, plus a RL PL double breasted pinstriped suit for about 240$. Apparently the high commissioner had left in a hurry

As I was leaving the shop two elderly ladies presented me with a choice of up to 8 Caruso suits, (which I could immediately spot were full-canvas), for what would amount to 100$ each. I bargained down hard to 75$ and took two of my size, but I just could not leave without hearing what a young kid was shouting in the background

Special edition Santoni Goodyear welted shoes for Bally 200 $ a pair.

I told him right there- shame on you -go and read this SF thread and you will see how ridiculous the price you’re asking is. I looked deep at his eyes and saw the truth: the bugger actually read this thread regularly- you tell me…

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got myself a Zegna sport coat 54ita in grey nailhead and a Corneliani sport coat 54ita (but I think short not R or sleeves shortened a bit) grey again, nailheadish. Also ToBoot NY split toes 10D which awfully looks like shell but I don't think this company does shell. SA shopping!

I will trade the Cornelianis, they went to cleaners today so PM me if you want, I will send pics after it comes from cleaners.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Florsheim Imperial longwings, in shell, excellent condition - $5. Also got a T&A tie and a vintage Veuve Clicquot stopper.

Temujin

Reaction score
Heartbreak at Goodwill! Was checking out with a Versace Classic sport coat and a pair of RL Polo Loafers 11.5 and noticed a buggy of shoes. Found an Alden, Zegna, and another high end shoe which I have forgotten. Only one shoe! Could not find the mates! They said they had gotten a bunch of high end 11.5 shoes, but not the mates to these!
baldy[1].gif
Still in line, I notice a pair of ladies Oxxford pants hanging on a rack behind the counter. I ask if they are for sale? Yes! It is a new with tag Oxxford/NM ladies 3 piece charcoal suit sz 4, over $2K....with moth holes in the lapel. I almost puked!!
frown.gif

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BicesterRules
I told him right there- shame on you -go and read this SF thread and you will see how ridiculous the price you're asking is. I looked deep at his eyes and saw the truth: the bugger actually read this thread regularly- you tell me...

While this thread is lots of fun, I have zero doubt that we have all made things immeasurably harder for ourselves by posting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads