• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenos

Reaction score
I think I finally got something. Granted, I've been at this for a short while, but I was becoming discouraged. To all those who are easily discouraged (like me), take heart. These finds are out there. And they make it all worthwhile. These are my size. Hanover bluchers. (Sorry for the crappy pics.) $7.99 for the first pair and $9.99 for the second. The sole of the black pair reads "Genuine Shell Cordovan". The other pair has the same look, but does not say that they are cordovan. Am I correct in assuming the lighter pair is cordovan as well?

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Am I correct in assuming the lighter pair is cordovan as well?

Yes, very much correct, and they are beautiful. This is a fantastic find. It is quite a rush to not only find great shoes, but for them to somehow actually be the right size as well.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are my size. Hanover bluchers. (Sorry for the crappy pics.) $7.99 for the first pair and $9.99 for the second. The sole of the black pair reads "Genuine Shell Cordovan". The other pair has the same look, but does not say that they are cordovan. Am I correct in assuming the lighter pair is cordovan as well?
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
awesome find!

My score wasn't as great, but I did find some Cordwainer Wrights today
smile.gif

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I finally got something. Granted, I've been at this for a short while, but I was becoming discouraged. To all those who are easily discouraged (like me), take heart. These finds are out there. And they make it all worthwhile.

These are my size. Hanover bluchers. (Sorry for the crappy pics.) $7.99 for the first pair and $9.99 for the second. The sole of the black pair reads "Genuine Shell Cordovan". The other pair has the same look, but does not say that they are cordovan. Am I correct in assuming the lighter pair is cordovan as well?

Great Finds. What size are they?

que

Reaction score
These shoes were found at three diff thrift stores this week and each were about $5.00. The AEs were 50% off and they all are my size and in great shape

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have felt a shift in the thrifting force....

que

Reaction score
Lastly these were found and they apparently werent worn more than 3 times and appear new, though they must have some age on them as they say were made in Eng and the current Polos seem to be made in US. Was Churches' the manufactorer of these as the heels look similiar?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Simpler solution that will allow you to wear interesting socks: after they come out of the dryer, you pair them up. Hold them together. Take the top of one, open it up, and pull it down over both socks. Now they stay together as a pair and you never have to hunt around. You pull out a pair that you like and put them on. Congratulations, you've learned to ball socks.

Seriously, the rest of the world learned that at age 5.

edit: here's a picture.
socks_ironing_board.jpg

You're right, I've never considered this option
facepalm.gif

I don't care for bold socks. I prefer ribbed, plain colored. Therefore, it only makes sense for me to have identical socks. Not only is it more convenient, I don't have to worry about matching or balling them up when they come out of the dryer. It allows me to be as lazy as possible. I suppose I could get out of my chair or out of bed at night every time I want to change the channel on the TV, but I've found a more practical option (seriously, the rest of the world learned that in the 50s when it was invented
sarcasm.gif
)

I think that folding underwear/socks in anyway is the epitome of stupid, but to each his own.

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
Just put the vox jacket (note: this was not actually his, LOL) on ebay this past weekend, thought somebody might want to take a crack at it / check out the better photos:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Already had somebody offer me $300 for it, was tempted but I'm really curious to see what it will sell for at auction. Am I an idiot?
ffffuuuu.gif

I see the auction has ended. Mind sharing what offer you finally accepted?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by que
Lastly these were found and they apparently werent worn more than 3 times and appear new, though they must have some age on them as they say were made in Eng and the current Polos seem to be made in US. Was Churches' the manufactorer of these as the heels look similiar?

Great week for shoes! The Polos are probably C&J. Very nice shoes and in great shape.

I have a pair of the the AE Wartons, also in sharkskin, although mine are brown. They are a great shoe and one of AEs sleeker models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads