Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Today I found a pair of Allen Edmonds Maxfield loafers in tan, and a pair of Alden black tassel loafers both in 9.5.. Also a Samuelsjohn suit in nearly my size. A little tight around the shoulders.

2. ArthurVandalay

ArthurVandalay Well-Known Member

Do they say made in india, or are they US ones?

The black insole makes me worry that they're newer....

Those are made in India. I'm 99.9% sure.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^Regardless, for $5 and a polish they look fine, and can serve you well until you upgrade. Better those than square toed Kenneth Coles.

4. le Dauphin

le Dauphin Well-Known Member

That's not a bad deal at all.

Do they say made in india, or are they US ones?

The black insole makes me worry that they're newer....

Those are made in India. I'm 99.9% sure.

^Regardless, for $5 and a polish they look fine, and can serve you well until you upgrade. Better those than square toed Kenneth Coles.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I knew when I bought 'em they probably weren't the find of the century, but for the price they're gonna get a lot of wear with me.[​IMG]

-Matt

5. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

This is exactly what I was thinking. I knew when I bought 'em they probably weren't the find of the century, but for the price they're gonna get a lot of wear with me.[​IMG]

-Matt

They look like AE Byrons. At $5 they were a steal. Congrats.

6. le Dauphin

le Dauphin Well-Known Member

They look like AE Byrons. At $5 they were a steal. Congrats.

Thanks. I can tell already this thrifting thing is gonna be a new obsession! I'll have to get my wife on board though[​IMG]
    Somebody wish me luck with that

-Matt

7. buddy72

buddy72 Well-Known Member

Recently found these two like-new polo-style shirts for $2 each.
    The big attraction, to me, is that they are both "Made in USA" - I don't think any polos are made here any more.

[​IMG]

8. AEricson

AEricson Member

Best thrift find... where to begin [​IMG]

Probably this shirt - http://www.trimirror.com/blogs/Andre..._-_modern_jive couldn't tell you who its by off hand but the pinstripe is very ornate with subtle patterns throughout - not so much proud of the value but of the vintage style

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yesterday, I found a really nice, recent Canali Proposta light gray/cream summer sportcoat. 3 button front, single vent. Patch pockets and lots of pick-stitching.

10. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Thanks. I can tell already this thrifting thing is gonna be a new obsession! I'll have to get my wife on board though[​IMG]
    Somebody wish me luck with that

-Matt

Mine now goes with me and large chunks of her wardrobe now come from this source.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Lucky. My wife hates it. She doesn't hate it with a fiery passion, but she hates it because I go in and take "forever". She usually sits out in the car and reads. With that said, she doesn't particularly like shopping for clothes to begin with anyway, so I guess that kinda explains it.

12. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I found a gray herringbone overcoat today. Nice coat, label says "Distinctively Tailored by Reliable Clothing of Canada", but no materal label, and no maker branded. The style of the label looks pretty old too, I'm thinking at least as old as 50's. Lining feels like silk as well, but that does show a little wear. Horn buttons too.

It's very soft and fits well, so I'm quite happy.

Also, due to the apparent quality of the rest of the coat, I suspect that it could be cashmere. I've never handled a cashmere coat, just sweaters and such, anyone have an easy way to tell the difference?

14. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Been off the radar for a while with school and work but I still get out and hit the old route when I can. I have just been amazed lately at the luck I'm having. Here's my haul since last Thursday (all in my size):

Vintage charcoal HB topcoat from some shop called " Au Petit Alsacien - 1 Rue de Flandre - Paris". I've been looking for a topcoat for over a year and this one is completely hand made, immaculate, and fits like a glove - $12.99
    Oxxford gray super 150's trousers - $5
    2 Borrelli dress shirts - $3.99 each
    RLPL light gray trousers - $4.99
    Robert Talbott sportshirt - $2.99
    Luciano Barbera sportshirt - $3.99
    Florsheim wingtip monk strap shoes in chocolate brown. They must be vintage because they have the metal v-cleat - $2.99
    BB Makers dark blue and black houndstooth 3/2 sack suit - for when one is feeling tradly - $12.99
    RL Blue Label DB - from back in the made in the USA days: 6/2, side vent, ticket pocket, forward pleats, and 747-sized lapels. - $14.99

I don't have the time to go back and catch up on the last couple of months of posts but I hope everyone else has been having this much luck. I find something like the stuff above everytime I hit the stores. According to the store managers I've gotten to know the thrifting/flipping frenzy everyone and their mother jumped on over the last year or so really died off over the summer. I hope that happened for all of you and that it continues.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I don't have the time to go back and catch up on the last couple of months of posts but I hope everyone else has been having this much luck. I find something like the stuff above everytime I hit the stores. According to the store managers I've gotten to know the thrifting/flipping frenzy everyone and their mother jumped on over the last year or so really died off over the summer. I hope that happened for all of you and that it continues.
    I've been wondering what happened to ya! Good to hear you've still been at it. Damn nice finds, post up a pic of that overcoat - it sounds amazing! Good news on the flipper front down there for you. I wish I could say the same for up here, but it seems to just be getting worse. It's the really rude women that bother me too. They just barge in right in front of you, plant their cart in place and take 40 minutes inspecting every damn shirt! Ugh. I ran into it twice today in one store. Once in the shirts and once in the jackets. Usually I'm very polite and calm, but today I made it a point to show them both they had struck a nerve. I think it got through to them... [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.