• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo, happy to do it.

This picture is about eight years old, so she's an old lady now but this is Knoxville and I. She's a very good friend's mini dachshund that I still see all the time. My girlfriend hates that Knoxy ignores her and follows me around.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

which guys here thrift womens wear? I need to help my wife with her wardrobe; so I'm looking to do some purchases and trades in the near future.

...and if anyone has any tips for navigating the women's area, let me know. I know how to spot quality mens stuff quick, but not so much the ladies

I do (well, obviously.....haha).

Women's is a whole 'nother world. It'll be a lot easier for you since you're merely helping your wife and not flipping. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for women's stuff selling for tons of $$ or for nothing.

When picking out quality pieces, I use the same techniques as men's labels I am unfamiliar with. Some label styles just look promising. Same with the design of the actual piece. You can easily tell the trendy pieces from the grandma-wear. From there simply use Google.

I accompany my wife into trendy boutiques in the area as well as into stores like Anthropologie. I study the labels so I can spot them in the field.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have (or want to be entrepreneurial and start one) a mail-me-your-shoes-to-polish business for shell? I know theres pro patina dudes in europe, but just looking for a little homegrown action.

Anyway, if you do, hit me up.

Would also participate.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need someone to thrift me a scarf haha. I've been looking for one for months now and the best I found was a brown j crew wool scarf. Nothing fun like plaid! I'm for srs!

@SpooPoker , nice!

JL3212

Reaction score
Had to kop...

GM-H

Reaction score
Only a few things from thrifting in NYC with my sister.

Zegna and Trafalgar LTD hair and rabbit

Stone Island heavy twill pants

And the most fuckboy pair of shoes i have ever bought.... Valentino studded Garavanis

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Caught up on the last 15 pages. Thread is unreal recently.

Only because of an NSync autographed mic. Otherwise, we flounder.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mistermidwester

Reaction score
I know that Ryan Gosling made the puffy satin embroidered jacket hip again, but this is 'MERICA!

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feelin kinda salty I passed on an early Charlotte Hornets starter jacket the other day. Pullover and everything. FYI, I had a Dolphins one in the 90's.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

which guys here thrift womens wear? I need to help my wife with her wardrobe; so I'm looking to do some purchases and trades in the near future.

...and if anyone has any tips for navigating the women's area, let me know. I know how to spot quality mens stuff quick, but not so much the ladies

I also echo what others have said. I think it'd also be worthwhile to got to a good mall and see what labels are current and what she likes (kind of like us going to scope out Harry Rosen). Use that as the foundation, both for labels and styles.

Things are, I think, also tougher on the women's side: fashions/styles change quicker and I observe that there's just more women searching the thrifts than men. But there are gems to be had. That NWT Pringle I found. And last time I went out with my partner she pulled a NWT Dear Creatures dress. Not super expensive but recent and trendy. (The only thing that would have made me look twice at it would have been the NWT). So like everyone else, it's all a mystery to me on that side. :D

PS Let me know her size and maybe I can keep an eye open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads