1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Well-Known Member

hi guys, wanted to thank y'all for the inspiration to get more heavily into thrifting. For years I thrifted for myself until I found a pair of clean, handmade Vass for Brooks Brothers oxfords a half-size small for me. I knew that to get a good price, I had to sell a few things first so I could get a feel for clients, the system, shipping, photography, etc.

Thanks to ya'll I have a better understanding of trad menswear (I'm from SW&D). Today was pretty good - NWOT Brioni belt; ties: Canali, Zegna & Varvatos; VTG green made in USA levis jacket, a nice blazer with no tags but YSL lining and a low price. Oh, and a pair of Allen Edmonds loafers. I figured I'd double-up on the AE's but when I ran the serial number, it came up *cordovan*

pop, pop.

4 people like this.
  2. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

This is classic Zanella....I am convinced after seeing so may of these in the wild that they come with a pre yellowed lining! Seemed to be the preferred Zanella by SF members as well.

3. tben

tben Senior member

True story! But I liked that gatsby collection quite a bit! That pink seersucker peek lapel suit was dope.

1 person likes this.
  4. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

The great small town tailors are dwindling, U.S made suits had a certain "feel" i've only experienced with thrifted garments. if the industry were to be revived, i would surely be a customer.

To add this with your previous post, and add comment... in the past, before rampant consumerism, Men bought a staple wardrobe of well made clothing from a local tailor, large supply store, or even a mail order catalogue. with some having their garments hand made by a wife or relative. men knew hat etiquette, shoes were shined regardless of make or condition, and when your elbows wore through? they were patched. the golden age of menswear will soon return, in a new incarnation. with new cuts, fabrics, and rules. the future is bright, though it will start a little shaky. when the current generation of hipsters, and SW&D Denizens mature, it will bring upon us a new dawn of an elegant, hard wearing and yet versatile culture in men's fashion.

"it has been foreseen"
    Wedding dress? nice way to cut your teeth. [​IMG]

Not in this corner of the Galaxy.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

So characteristically reasonable. This is why you're among the best of the best on this board.

He's 43R

2 people like this.
  6. 330CK

330CK Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

More discount stuff, real thrift stuff to come tomorrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Smaller guys 36R - Where do you find your blazers and suits? I suck so hard at e thrifting- ( PM me if anyone has stuff for sale)

9. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

A little late on this, so I'm just hoping u didn't let this one go. I have a Chester Barrie 100% Shetland Wool Tweed SC and it's gorgeous.

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Bringing up thrifted art, I actually bought 3 paintings from a local auction for $14.50. The first my wife and I hated, we both thought it was ugly it was a photo lithograph by Hovsep Pushman (sold for $219.99).

[​IMG]

The next one we have hung in our living room but it is just so big and I am not sure I love it. This is probably worth the most, I checked the other painting of this artist Kinley Shogren who's paintings can go for $2500 or so, this one is huge. It is 27" x 36" + frame

[​IMG]

The final painting I love, it is a simple watercolor by a guy name Freemantle probably not worth much but my kids will be fighting over this one when I die.

[​IMG]

I always check the art when I go in a new store, I have a few others that aren't that exciting. Like the sea captain that everyone seems to find.

4 people like this.
  11. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Yea it's awesome, it's on ebay, I think catside posted a link to it in the trad thread. Wish it fit me I would have bought it for sure

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

@hbkshin, those Drakes squares look familiar!

13. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

36S over here :( everytime I find something my size it's freakin expensive and listed as "rare size". Bunch of turds

14. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

i feel like theres a lot of competition and little supply for smaller guys :( i'm in the same boat.

15. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

oh my god oh my god oh my god

ethrift came in

1 person likes this.
  16. tben

tben Senior member

I am a 36-38, depending, and I have just about never found any jacket or suit that's fit me well. So, when I am in stores, thrfiting, I look for styles that I like, as opposed to just high end stuff. Some of my first thfiting mistakes involve me purchasing and attempting to tailor clothes that I really had no business with, just because they were "name brands." Currently, one of my favorite and go to suits is a Boss Black label suit in charcoal. Is it the best quality suit I own? Hell no. But did I purchase it for $10, get it cleaned and the pants hemmed to fit properly for another $20 total, well, yes. And as a result of the mere $30 I am into the suit, is it replaceable? Sure. But it is also a great fitting suit with lapels that are not too narrow, ever so light shoulder padding, and some machine pic stitching that looks the part and some faux surgeon cuffs--but it is an excellent looking suit that 99% of the population would not be able to pick out the flaws.

So think outside of Brioni and you will build your closet albeit slowly yet surely.

5 people like this.
  17. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Design wise, I think Suitsupply does really good work for accomdating smaller sized suits/blazers/outerwear, while not being too overly expensive.
    But I really understand your point that high end brands don't matter as much as fit and proper styling, albiet slightly less handwork. We should start a 34-38R thread exclusively for trading.

4 people like this.
  18. tben

tben Senior member

I may have thrifted a huntsman today that fits a 38R. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. catside

catside Senior member

It's a size 40 and still there. Just search, looks great

20. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Thought I might leave this here for anyone who needs it.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.