• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tljohn probably tall lanky and wanted to wear it so they looked wider

And 30s was loose suits I think

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only a couple of finds today, but it was a quick stop.

I immediately saw a pile of 5-6 pocket squares. I liked the first one I grabbed...

I immediately recognized this pattern:

I looked at the others, but no other Hermès. I asked the woman whether she had any more in the back. Her response was what you ALWAYS HATE TO HEAR...

"Oh, you should have been here earlier, there were some really beautiful ones in that pile!"

ffffuuuu.gif

I doubt it was someone that wanted one for its intended use. I am nearly certain it was an old woman that was going to cut them up to make cat toys or some other goofy ****.

I always picked up these jeans. NWT Lee '50s selvage cinch back. I am not a denim guy, so I had to look them up when I brought them home. Apparently it was from a 2011 line that had a lower price point. Made in Poland, a country not well-known for their denim.
happy.gif

Yeah, from where I'm looking the stitching doesn't look very quality especially the chain-stitching looks a bit off. But still a very cool find!

Hey guys, I'll be swimming to thrifts tomorrow.
Holy crap!!!

I still feel bad that I couldn't send you the peacoat that I found. You understand, though, don't you? Don't you?

I was all set to 'thumbs up' you. Then you had to go and post those.
crazy.gif

rotflmao.gif

^^I like Lorenzini shirts a lot, but the rest (even suits) I've thrown away too much $$$ on. (I don't do eBay, though).
biggrin.gif

WINGTIP SAGA: PART ONE(?) OF TWO(?)

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Man, tell me what you guys would say to this cobbler. First he sends my shoes five hours away for a special Vibram Christy sole (so rare!), only to bus them back again and build one out of crepe. And then...paint it. I think. Because I requested cream.
ffffuuuu.gif

I should have the natural Christy sole by next week, but at this point, nothing would surprise me.

drool.gif

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Barrel, are you on a diet, too or something? Everything reminds you of delicious foodstuffs. :D

Last edited:

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oliver sweeny picked up at discount
Not really sure they are worth msrp

Maybe I'm spoiled by AE

Any input quality wise?

Last edited:

Jowen

Reaction score
Recent finds

Hickey Freeman sweet pattern - 44L Available

Brooks Brothers "Brooksstorm" Loro Piana Storm System N/A

Aquascutum Tweed Overcoat N/A

PRL Suede Bomber N/A

Vasque Hiking Boots - Available - Women's Size 12? I wear 13 and I can't even get my foot into them - bummer. I think men's 10 would fit.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barrel, are you on a diet, too or something? Everything reminds you of delicious foodstuffs.
biggrin.gif

I was...Or I should say I still am...
shog[1].gif

My excuse is it's winter so I need to put on some weight and be ready for the
zombie apocalypse...

I think having the extra fat will last me at least a few more weeks...

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The two jackets I picked up the other day.

Theory. Staple grey blazer. 38R Slim fit.

Paul stuart dual vented jacket 44L. Super 150's.

Both available.

Think the PS was a good pickup?

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
WINGTIP SAGA: PART ONE(?) OF TWO(?)

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Damn man, I was gonna say, this is neither a Christy sole nor crepe, but on closer inspection, it does look like some sort of vibram branded crepe that's been painted white... The **** is that?
Good luck dude, I feel for ya. Try these guys next time... http://greenwichvintage.us.

On another note, tried to go pro-style today and do a west to east strafing of the shops, hit up 10 or 11 and a few consignment shops, came home with 4 shirts, all found close to where I live.
dozingoff.gif

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good luck dude, I feel for ya. Try these guys next time... http://greenwichvintage.us.

+1 on Greenwich Vintage. They are local (based out of Minneapolis). I've had a couple pairs of vintage wingtips resoled by them in various colors (one I had done with blue soles). They do a great job.

ShakeEmUp

Reaction score
I'm going to be in New Orleans and Baton Rouge this week. Does anyone know of good spots to hit? Pm me

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The two jackets I picked up the other day.

Theory. Staple grey blazer. 38R Slim fit.

Paul stuart dual vented jacket 44L. Super 150's.

Both available.

Think the PS was a good pickup?

I always pick up PS depending on price and condition though.
Unrelated, I used to get 100% on Expert on Guitar Hero "My name is Jonas"

Without looking.
Pfftt, I used to shred that jam on my acoustic and do all the vocals without a drummer! Beat that, expert mode!!!
biggrin.gif

runyourchain

Reaction score
Noob regarding the shoe mod I would use this as a cheap (hopefully) lesson that if you are trying to do an outside the box mod if you involve someone who does not get your true vision it usually will leave you fuct. I read this thread pretty much every single day. Get tons of good ideas and knowledge from all of you.

I mod or have modded most of the new or vintage items I get. I have had my vision butchered by so called professionals many times. I understand your frustration. Good luck moving forward. Next time bring pics or an actual shoe and try going to someone who gets what you want to do and possibly has done it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads