The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. was385

was385 Senior member

Okay this may be a bit of simplistic question but stick with me, I'm new to this. I'm going to be checking out a couple thrift stores in my area soon and after reading this thread I've seen a lot of talk about leaving the older nice brands because they look dated. What should I be looking for to set apart the ones I should take and the ones I should leave? Thanks

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

3. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Okay this may be a bit of simplistic question but stick with me, I'm new to this. I'm going to be checking out a couple thrift stores in my area soon and after reading this thread I've seen a lot of talk about leaving the older nice brands because they look dated. What should I be looking for to set apart the ones I should take and the ones I should leave? Thanks

Get out and experience life, observe people, browse in exclusive stores and you will know when you see it what to choose for you.

Hey, this is fun, not rocket science, I have made a bunch of bad choices, just donate back and move on, and enjoy.

4. Georgia

Georgia Senior member

5. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

6. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

One good thing lately...this coat: [​IMG] Made of a heavy tweed with a green, tan and raspberry colorway. Seems to be classic Savile Row (no label, tho') in a drape cut. Sleeves are a little long but the pattern matching is so nice that I hope I can still alter from the cuff. [​IMG] Some seams are loose but otherwise its in pretty good shape, and about my size. Could be a retailoring project for the winter. Not sure when it was made...it's not of any particular time.

7. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

A couple of recent finds:

An 18oz hand-woven Harris tweed jacket, OTR, absolutely no shoulder padding but it'll still stand up on its own. I'll add photos later.

A pair of Alden for Neiman Marcus 2161 black cordovan captoes. Some wear, but the perfect winter shoe - cordovan, double sole, bombproof construction.

8. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I bought these and a black pair for $10 each at a thrift store. Church's Chetwynd Wingtips, exactly my size. Shoe color is actually darker in person, and the suit pants are a bluer navy. They go equally great with jeans.

[​IMG]

9. floors to go

floors to go Senior member

Great find.

I still havent been able to find any shoes in my size.

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Finally found an alligator belt (and good motivation to knock off a few pounds). A past sales thread here indicates it may be a J Hambleton brand belt (new info: it may be a Crescent). $2.99 [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. newinny

newinny Senior member

I dropped off an Etro blazer in size 38 at Monk's Thrift Store on 3rd St. in NYC if anyone's interested.

12. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Finally found an alligator belt (and good motivation to knock off a few pounds). A past sales thread here indicates it may be a J Hambleton brand belt (new info: it may be a Crescent).

$2.99

How much do you think that would go for on Ebay?

13. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Finally found an alligator belt (and good motivation to knock off a few pounds). A past sales thread here indicates it may be a J Hambleton brand belt (new info: it may be a Crescent).

$2.99

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice score, Alan! I hope my alligator belt ship comes in one of these days too... things have been extremely arid around here (mid-atlantic).

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

That's a beautiful belt Alan?

I dropped off an Etro blazer in size 38 at Monk's Thrift Store on 3rd St. in NYC if anyone's interested.

Why didn't you just sell it on the B/S section here?

15. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

okay so i need some input/advice on this one. Hermes neck tie,ive handled literally close to a 100 but never one without a lot #,on the other hand never one with this much detail and craftsmanship (just check out the reverse of the blade its a full print that runs along the entire tie) is this a special edition or something,no idea how old it is maybe PRE lot days? any ideas? (ps im also inclined to sell it if anyone is interested0 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.