1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

No, I was joking, and the fact that that could be considered a real thing by them just sorta furthers the punchline. I am just really into denim and would consider myself more of a purist, not one of the geeked out ones you find on here not washing their jeans for 5 years, but I respect the craft done the old way and I love me some Japanese made heavyweight denim crafted by hand, the way it once was. I respect the craft in general. I just find naked a famous to be a leech off of the premium denim market, coming up with these random gimmicks for clothes all while having a slogan stating that they are not about gimmicks. Their whole existence just seems like a hypocrisy to me...so in short I told a bad joke to please myself.

2. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Second of these in a week... and this time they were kind enough to leave it on the original hanger (which they let me have for an additional dollar).

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  3. drlivingston

I know all too well how you feel...

4. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

NF has their place
    Well priced denim
    "Fun" brand
    Different cuts
    True entry level jawnz, with unbranded even more entry
    It's that dealer that gives you the first hit
    Like spoo and his ties..... :)

Also the experiments with different fabrics really is level of commitment to jawnz to further explore uncharted territory in fashions

I would say NF should be hailed as a hero for bringing jawnz love to the masses

1 person likes this.
  5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Right, because Japanese denim is the OG...

I encountered several pairs of N&F on clearance at The Rack yesterday. They make some nice jeans if you're able to look far enough down your nose at their "gimmicky" denims.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Yea... I honestly couldn't disagree more with that sentiment but lets just agree to disagree. I just find them to be tainting such a foundational fabric of our nations history and culture. Denim isn't just an article of clothing, it has history and roots in this country, its woven into this nations fabric. It's has iconic status, its as American as it gets and thank god for the Japanese being so obsessed over Americana Workwear mid century, to bring back the glory days of this truly unique article of clothing. I just find Naked and Famous to be disgracing the art form with cheap gimmicks and ridiculous pieces like scratch and sniff jeans. Yes, they are creative, but I just don't feel they should be put on the pedastle they are on for getting lucky and exploiting a market opportunity by being the first company to make dirty fade jeans, and red fade jeans, and rasberry jeans. All I see is capitalism at work, and as much as I am an advocate for said economic infrastructure, I find myself torn when it affects something I am truly passionate about. I would never steer anyone towards N&F for an entry level pair of jeans, just a personal bias, but to each their own.

Edit: And I think APC predates N&F by a few years as far as putting the selvage denim market boom on the map

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  7. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I don't know what this is getting at.

Edit: Am I stuck up or should I be apologetic for feeling passionate about what I view as an art form. Naw homie, if that makes me a dick then I'll gladly take the title.

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I hope that whomever has spoo for secret santa sends him a box of bert pulitzer ties in addition to something fun!

1 person likes this.
  9. drlivingston

Lol!! I already had a box of Resilio and Nicole Miller ties boxed up and ready to ship if I got his name.

1 person likes this.
  10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Naked & Famous is not an American company.

11. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I am aware, its Canadian, which makes the whole concept even worse.

Edit: Not that I have anything against Canada, but imagine an American company taking something that would be the equivalent of Jeans to us and completely desecrating it... just food for thought

And thank you for deleting what I wrote, I did mean to say blah blah blah, so thanks for the edit.

I think I, as have you, made our points clear, there is no need to carry this on. More Loro Piana and Vicuna please.

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

If you're gonna do snobbery, at least do it right.

American made, all the way. Japanese denim is a knock-off of the American-made denim of yesteryear.

Now, there's nothing wrong with knock-offs. That Japanese denim is good stuff. It's all Naked & Famous uses, at least according to a brief perusal of the 'About Us' page on their website.

But hey, I only own Gustin and Tellason jeans made from White Oak Cone Mills denim. What do I know?

1 person likes this.
  13. ridethecliche

I love that fueco is a jeans/clothing snob. I don't know why, but it just strikes me as hilarious.

1 person likes this.
  14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Nah, not really. I'm a snob when it comes to what I like for myself. What anyone else likes, I don't really care. This is just how I fill my time while waiting for pictures to upload to Ebay...

15. SuedeShoes1

SuedeShoes1 Member

Hi, I'm mostly a lurker here but found something cool and thought I would share. Also could anyone tell me what type of fur this coat has and when it is from? Thanks a lot![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  16. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Dat a classic gucci. 70-80s?

17. ridethecliche

18. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Ok guess were not done. The Japanese took the reigns for the most part because America started outsourcing. There is a really big following of mid century Americana there so they have revived the dying art form, and for that I am greatful. Without them putting selvage denim spun on shuttle looms back on the map, cone mills is not making Tellason Jeans, Tellason wouldn't even exist, at least not as the premium denim line they are. Cone Mills White Oak is superior denim and can revival some of what the Japanese make. The Japanese just tend to be a little more hands on and try to stay as true to the original methods of production as possible. I respect that, thus I support it. I like jeans, a lot, and thats how I justify what I spend on them and the brands I wear. I like workwear and they are part of my daily get up. Naked and famous may use Japenese woven denim, but so does Gap. The quality control isn't the same because they create it on such a large scale, they couldn't possible have the man power or enough hours in the day to turn out above par product for all their lines, its just too time consuming of a process. A selvage line isn't exactly a hard thing to acquire, it's how Toyoda shuttle looms and now many projectile looms as well, end a roll, its all in the production that leads to and follows that point that counts. Cone Mills is a fine example of a domestic brand that turns out quality garments, one of the few domestic brands still doing it. Roy, The Stronghold, Mister Freedom (actual that may be Japanese) are an example of a few others. They are few and far between here cuz of the price. But you get for what you pay for.

2 people like this.
  19. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Honestly can yall take this to another thread. 99% ppl here dont give a crap what you guys are fighting about. Thanks

10 people like this.
  20. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

50% of the people involved in the discussion don't care either. C'mon coffee, wake me up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.