The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

How often do you grab something and don't look at it closely enough? I found a cool gingham Brooks Bros shirt, got it home and there is a big tear in the arm....same day another nice dress shirt, I pull it out of the wash and on the cuff it's monogrammed with someone's initials in a tone on tone...obviously not my initials...LOL....I hate when that happens.

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

How often do you grab something and don't look at it closely enough? I found a cool gingham Brooks Bros shirt, got it home and there is a big tear in the arm....same day another nice dress shirt, I pull it out of the wash and on the cuff it's monogrammed with someone's initials in a tone on tone...obviously not my initials...LOL....I hate when that happens.

I was once debating between two polo shirts and after I checked out, realized I had bought the one I had decided not to get and left the one I wanted in the store, does that count?

3. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

I did this once when I purchased a Zegna tie at the thrift store. when I got home I noticed it had a giant rip in the back, so now I need to have it sewn by a tailor

4. que

que Active Member

I got this Remy lamb leather coat at the local GW at half the ticket price in my size. Now only for some cooler weather
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ I'm sorry, but that jacket looks really dated. It screams 80's - early 90's to me.
    How often do you grab something and don't look at it closely enough?
    Too often. I just did this a few days ago. It most often happens at places that are very crowded and where there is little ventilation. The other day I bought a few shirts that would have been nice, had there not been some staining on the cuffs that may not come out. I was hot and sweaty, there was nowhere to sort through my stuff and it was a complete nuthouse - people everywhere. I just wanted to buy my stuff and get out. Found the stains when I got home to check my purchases out a bit closer. The prices weren't that bad, so I didn't care too much to begin with. Had they been consignment shop pricing, I would have been a bit more cautious.

6. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

^^ I'm sorry, but that jacket looks really dated. It screams 80's - early 90's to me.

Too often. I just did this a few days ago. It most often happens at places that are very crowded and where there is little ventilation. The other day I bought a few shirts that would have been nice, had there not been some staining on the cuffs that may not come out. I was hot and sweaty, there was nowhere to sort through my stuff and it was a complete nuthouse - people everywhere. I just wanted to buy my stuff and get out. Found the stains when I got home to check my purchases out a bit closer. The prices weren't that bad, so I didn't care too much to begin with. Had they been consignment shop pricing, I would have been a bit more cautious.

this

i took home a shirt with 2 small bleach stains (plaid)

a sport coat with several pin holes on the sleeve because of the same situations.

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

At the thrifts yesterday someone (I'm assuming same donor) had left them 3 Sulka and 1 T&A ties with totally worn out and frayed corners. Several other nice BB and other ties in the same condition too. Man, what does this guy do with his ties? Shame since they were the first Sulka's I've seen.

owns a drop top

8. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

On someones thread I saw an awesome HF yellow plaid sport coat. If that is someone on this forum, could you please PM me if it is still available. I forgot who had it.
    Thanks!

9. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

I found my first Harris Tweed sport jacket yesterday. Three actually, but I left 2 of them.
    Also my first Luciano Barbera shirt, blue pinstripe LG sz.

10. BBC

BBC Senior member

On someones thread I saw an awesome HF yellow plaid sport coat. If that is someone on this forum, could you please PM me if it is still available. I forgot who had it.
    Thanks!

Do you mean this one? Love the jacket. Being sold by whusurdadi
    [​IMG]
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=188196&page=5

11. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

12. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

I just burned out my retinas looking at that

Closed my eyes, still see it.

13. balla25

balla25 Senior member

Hey CasmirRadon,

I was wondering what was the price of the pair of barely worn brown suede Chukkas from Barneys house label, sadly size 13 that you saw and if you were amenable to purchasing and letting me reimburse you. I thrift pretty often and if there are any items of particular interest and size I am more than happy to return the favor. Thanks in advance for your reply.

balla25 (noob)

14. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Do you mean this one? Love the jacket. Being sold by whusurdadi l]
    That's the one! Thanks! Methinks I'm gittin' abit eccentric in me old age! HA! Wonder what'll happen when I hit forty?!

15. idrinkwater

idrinkwater Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.