1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Back from Stuttgart, rented an Audi A7 TDI which was fun. No time for thrift shopping, but did hit the outlet stores just outside the city, Loro Piana, Ermenegildo Zegna stores were fun, BOSS was the big draw, the store was the size of a Nordstroms + they had a outlet to the outlet.

[​IMG]
    Still couldn't pull the trigger on anything. EZ was nice, but nothing exciting enough, or cheap enough to drop big coin on. Was very tempted by some LP cashmere blankets with lambskin trim, they were only about 350euro, but seriously, don't need, and the dog would have it full of hair in no time.

Monday lunch thrift with a couple cool items:
    BB toggle coat w/ real horn toggles, olive green, despite what the pic looks like.
    [​IMG]
    Women's Burberry golf jacket and sleeveless golf polo?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    internet thrift that really paid off
    all new- PRL, VV, Pancaldi (!) and not new but 7 fold Dolcepunta
    [​IMG]
    BB By lardini
    [​IMG]
    They don't look new, but they've never been hemmed, really odd. Zanella FF cotton pants
    [​IMG]
    PRL Wool flannel suit
    [​IMG]
    I'm gone one week and there's a new pricing scheme at my fave GW puts some pants at $16 and suits at $35 :/
    Chipping away at my margins.
    Still some margins there, thrift funded trip purchase:
    [​IMG]
    Hamilton Khaki field 40mm auto

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    5 people like this.
  2. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

My second complete Zegna suit thrifted in a year. No size tag but has a 42" chest measurement. The pants are for a slim fellow…29" waist and 27.75" inseam!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul Smith unstructured jacket tagged a 44 but the chest measures to 44". I wear a 42 and it fits although a little snug on me.
    I passed this up a week ago or so because it was stripy but could not resist the draw today. I assume its a suit orphan since its so stripy.
    If anyone believes I am wrong about that please let me know!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally this Alan Flusser NWT blue cotton tuxedo lapel thing that would be appropriate with a cigar and a book in front of a roaring fire??
    Size 42T

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Add in a Brioni dress shirt, two identical black Brioni slacks, some nice zegna shirts, holland and sherry, T&A that works for me, it was a pretty decent day.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

We shall see....my awesome boss called me this morning, has an extra seat a couple rows behind home plate...wanted to know if I wanted to go, won't be sleeping much tonight :D

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Nice! The rest of us will play 'guess the SF member on the TV screen'.

5. TJGent87

TJGent87 Senior member

Ah OK the reason I asked is I found stuff today and was curious if it was all from the same donor but mine are all 42R.

6. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

The loss of a great designer. Truly a sad day..[​IMG]

7. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

F&*k Nautica,[​IMG]
    - though some groups dig it. But otherwise, sure..... keep digging for Brioni's and Zanella's, while i take home the Buzz Rickson's and Denims.........[​IMG]

There is plenty of thrifted money in other demographics. And i'm sure good stuff is not even being looked at seriously.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

1 person likes this.
  8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

same kind of stuff? 212, 718, 516, or 631?

9. TJGent87

TJGent87 Senior member

212 not all the same class but nice stuff.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cell247

Cell247 Well-Known Member

Anyone watch the WGN America original series Manhattan? Its about the Manhattan project and its a pretty good period piece so far.

11. Letric

Letric Senior member

Same here. I hit my local store once a week or so, 95% of the time I walk out empty handed but that doesn't discourage me. The area the store is located in is pretty "small town" and suburbanish. Hardly any "style" around these parts, and not a whole lot of wealth.. but every once in awhile I find something amazing that makes me go "who the hell owned this around here?".

Some of my best finds from that store have been: Zegna Microtene 10.000 rain jacket, mint Charvet dress shirt, RLPL navy twill tie, and a mint VTG Brioni gray flannel suit. That last one was the most recent, and I was astounded for weeks by it. The hilarious part was that it had a plastic tag remnant in the shoulder from another thrift store and price markings, so someone thrifted it and then gave it away to my local store lol. [​IMG]

12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Bro, that is so sick!

Damn, I have a SC by him...Never wore it. Never found any of his stuff to be good quality.

13. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

[​IMG]
    Cashmere pow tie, cotton etro tie, bunch of bb makers ties, j press tuxedo shirt size 15.5x33 brioni sport shirt XL random bespoke navy blazer
    And this I need spoo info on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ALL AVAILABLE

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    6 people like this.
  14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

15. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

I had an embarrassing/humbling moment last weekend. Took a gal to a specialty beer shop, wearing my thrifted digital camo BDU shirt. (Size S Xtra Long is a nice, slim fit on my size 40 frame.) The very friendly proprietor informed me that they offer a discount on cases for veterans. Actually, he may have been offering me a discount for the 5 beers I bought.* I just smiled and paid full price.
    I'm going to study the DIY thread and dye that jacket before I ever wear it in public again.

*These drinks were NOT thrifted.
    [​IMG]
    One of these things is not like the others. All of these things were delicious!

5 people like this.
  16. Letric

Letric Senior member

Dat Cashmere POW tie. PM Sent.

17. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

I've tried that mocha stout from trader joes. Not bad.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  18. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Up bright and early for another day in the thrift trenches!! [​IMG]

19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

good morning, star shine. the earth says hello!

2 people like this.
  20. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

[

Then these guys. Paid a bit more than thrift prices for these. Alden (right?) for Brooks Bros. I believe they are deadstock as the original retail price was only $225. Anything you guys may know about them would be appreciated. Specifically if any of you can tell if they are leather or shell from the numbers that would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice find. The Alden 770 is black calf leather. Popular model, although slightly less this time of year.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.