• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reigningchamp

Reaction score
So I have been hitting my favorite spot 2-3 times a week. NOTHING. Walk into my 2nd favorite spot and see an employee from my fav searching the racks for flips. No wonder I can't find anything anymore. She buys it up and sells it. Damn.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So I have been hitting my favorite spot 2-3 times a week. NOTHING. Walk into my 2nd favorite spot and see an employee from my fav searching the racks for flips. No wonder I can't find anything anymore. She buys it up and sells it. Damn.

Aren't they supposed to wait? All the shops around here make employees wait two or more days to buy stuff...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read his post as implying that said clerk was buying up the inventory at her own store as well.

div25sec9

Reaction score

Yes. I actually looked him up in the thrift store. Until 2008, he was a managing director at Goldman's and left to run the Nature conservancy. I don't know what a custom Kiton cost in the mid-2000's, but I'm guessing in the $15,000 range. Your comment about him donating more than suits? I actually found these suits at the end of my visit, which drives me nuts because it convinces me that I've missed a bunch of good stuff and I need to go back and take a closer look at everything. I'd already done shoes, coats and a quick look at pants and shirts and had found the pants to the paul stuart suit, so I was thinking if there were pants, there might be something else nice. The way I'm wired is that once I find anything....a zegna, canali, brioni, anything from bergdorf or from niemans, I start looking at every single label of everything. And there were a lot desirable brands, but they all had flaws. Once I found the Kiton jackets, it was all over for me. I had to go back and try to reunite the orphans and ended up matching four, but only 1 of the Kiton's. The store was closing so I had to leave. That combination of happy you found something, coupled with the "dang it" factor of not finding everything.... By the time I leave, my cart looks like this:
LL
I went back last night on my way back to Raleigh from DC, and I was able to find the other two pair of pants to the gray and the blue suits. So a total of 6 suits reunited. Makes it my best thrift 2 days ever. Plus, monday, everything was 30% off, and last night, it was 25% off. Of interest to you might be a cool vintage Schott bomber jacket I picked up. I haven't had time to photo. Got home at 12:30AM and took almost an hour just to hang stuff up.
For this reason, I developed a certain order to my thrifting; I hit up suits and blazers first. Not only does the value of suits and blazers outweigh that of shirts or pants of the same brand, but also can give you guidance about how to conduct your search of the rest of the store. If you find an orphan, then you know what size and patterns to pay close attention to in the pants section. The suit and blazer finds can be the smoke signals indicating a possible fire...if you find some suits, then it's likely that a good donation was made, letting you know that a thorough search of the rest of the store is in order. It's great to hear that you found the matching pants on a return visit; I rarely ever reunite orphans, especially on subsequent visits.

joshmick

Reaction score
A couple finds from today:
(from l to R) Saks house brand, Ferregamo, Facconnable, OOOLLLLDDD J. Press bow tie

Zegna 15mil15

RL Rugby Fatigue Twill pants (These fit me but I don't know if I could ever pull them off haha)

joshmick

Reaction score
Also, not pictured, I purchased The Dumb and Dumber soundtrack and Best of Wesley Willis cds hahaha. Probably my favorite part of the whole haul...

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Label check plz. This good or recent?

wnndcogz.jpg

8i8gpx3k.jpg

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your comment about him donating more than suits? I actually found these suits at the end of my visit, which drives me nuts because it convinces me that I've missed a bunch of good stuff and I need to go back and take a closer look at everything. I'd already done shoes, coats and a quick look at pants and shirts and had found the pants to the paul stuart suit, so I was thinking if there were pants, there might be something else nice. The way I'm wired is that once I find anything....a zegna, canali, brioni, anything from bergdorf or from niemans, I start looking at every single label of everything. And there were a lot desirable brands, but they all had flaws.  Once I found the Kiton jackets, it was all over for me. I had to go back and try to reunite the orphans and ended up matching four, but only 1 of the Kiton's.  The store was closing so I had to leave. That combination of happy you found something, coupled with the "dang it" factor of not finding everything....

I went back last night on my way back to Raleigh from DC, and I was able to find the other two pair of pants to the gray and the blue suits. So a total of 6 suits reunited. Makes it my best thrift 2 days ever. Plus, monday, everything was 30% off, and last night, it was 25% off. 

Yeah, if you went back a couple days later and found the pants to two more suits it's very likely there was more from this guy that came out.

$25.00 is kind of pricey for what looks like an Aqua 5 trench. My last Aqua 5 sold for $40, I have sold others in the past in the $60-80 range. But i've bought them in the $8-12 range.

Another example of something that doesn't get anything near what they used to sell for 6-8 years ago. I used to get $80-$100+ for Aqua 5 and Aqua 7 trenches.

wilay05

Reaction score
THRIFT THREAD 2013 GIFT EXCHANGE

THRIFT FIT. BILLY REID SHIRT. CLUB ROOM 100% CASHMERE (i know, not a great brand but its cashmere!)

1960 Seiko Marvel - Hand Wound Mechanical Watch. Came with a brand new band and Seiko Box. It was also taken to a watchmaker by Size 38R to be professionally serviced!!! Its my daily wearer now! I love it!!!! THANK YOU SIZE 38R. I have gotten to know him a bit, and I must say, what a GREAT guy! Also, thanks to the rest of you guys for contributing to this awesome thread and teaching me so much!

Last edited:

wilay05

Reaction score
THRIFT THREAD 2013 GIFT EXCHANGE

THRIFT FIT. BILLY REID SHIRT. CLUB ROOM 100% CASHMERE (i know, not a great brand but its cashmere!)

1960 Seiko Marvel - Hand Wound Mechanical Watch.
Came with a brand new band and Seiko Box. It was also taken
to a watchmaker by Size 38R to be professionally serviced!!!
Its my daily wearer now! THANK YOU SIZE 38R. I have gotten to know him a bit, and I must say,
what a GREAT guy! Also, thanks to the rest of you guys for contributing to this awesome thread and
teaching me so much! Happy holidays everyone!

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift Thread Gift Exchange 2013

Couldn't believe how much STUFF was in this box! Huge shout out to Ocooney!

2x Andover shop, 2x Brooks Brothers

Dolce & Gabanna (my first), Hermes, and RLPL

Bunch 'o squares.

Nice Isaia shirt

So. Freaking. Warm. Canali Scarf.

Rreally nice cashmere sportcoat.

Last edited:

maro2280

Reaction score
I've been relatively lucky as of late in the thrifts and discount stores, and have been waiting to post the highlights. Today isn't the day for that, but I'm really happy about two clearance finds from today at Marshalls so I'm posting them now. Pics are spoilered b/c their quality is not high.

Loro Piana dress shirt

Brooks Brothers Black Fleece BBO Tattersall Oxford Button-Down Shirt

As an aside, I want to give a big shout out to @Brianpore . Over the past two months, Brian has been looking out for me as I've hit the thrifts and has shared a lot of knowledge with me. Bottom line, he's a real good dude.

Last edited:

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish I could do the gift exchange, but don't nearly find the same quality stuff as you guys! Looks fun, and an awesome way to get to know each other better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads