• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been thrifting.... Sadly no suits,
but did kop a Mark Wahlburg action figure.
The man who makes boardwalk empire = a cool pick up.

some fun trying to look for things in the scavenger hunt list. even if i can't play. :D

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, and a local GW has a bunch of 70s leisure suits if you're interested in making a disco outfit for your pooch...

Anyone who puts poly on a pooch deserves a visit from the ASPCA.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stumbled on 2x Caraceni bespoke suits at $25 each, one in gray and one in a brown plaid. Passed as They were pretty massive 48-50R or L, were pretty dated cuts from 93 and 95 (unvented, besom pockets, low-ish gorge) and they had some holes in the jackets (didn't bother checking the trousers). eBay completed listings shows Caraceni sells pretty well when it does (which isn't all that often). Should I reconsider and see if they're there later on this week when I go by?

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found these a few weeks ago. They're are no markings on them other than the "Made in USA" on the bottom. Based on how the fit on me I'd say they are a 12 wide or 13.

i like those!

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went thrifting with an old friend over the weekend. Here was my haul. -Jil Sander short sleeved safari shirt in a shiny khaki cotton. Looks scarcely worn, though I'm 99% sure it's from one of the later Milan V-something collections. Still, it's a fun shirt that will get more than enough wear to justify its cost even if I only don it twice. -RLPL polo shirt, white with two-tone tan horizontal stripes. Tags still on it, and marked for less than used Polo shirts despite have obviously superior cloth and MOP buttons. -Baldarassini Hugo Boss spread collar shirt, blue and white stripes composed of tiny interlocking triangles.
no pics, no care

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I laughed out loud at that. Year before last we went to the final 4 and stayed the week in the Ritz Carlton, which is our 6th or 7th. My wife has designs on staying in all of them.

I'm going to mention catching the Wigwam Village Trifecta and see if they have an affinity program I can sign her up for.

what kind of goat?

A week at the Ritz Carlton? $heez. Places like that make me nervous; people opening doors and trying to carry your bags and such all over the place.

A sexy goat, of course.

Surprised you survived the CA Wigwam Village; that area is not the best...I'm guessing the goat was going into one of the rooms with someone?

That area / Rialto was pretty sketchy, yes...a favorite filming location for the Cops TV show, which gave me an idea of what to expect. The most well restored & maintained of the 3 remaining Wigwam Villages, though.

Yes, it was a very sexy goat...and the price was right...and I was lonely.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A week at the Ritz Carlton? $heez. Places like that make me nervous; people opening doors and trying to carry your bags and such all over the place.

A sexy goat, of course.

That area / Rialto was pretty sketchy, yes...a favorite filming location for the Cops TV show, which gave me an idea of what to expect. The most well restored & maintained of the 3 remaining Wigwam Villages, though.

Yes, it was a very sexy goat...and the price was right...and I was lonely.
well, spend 70-80 nights a year in Marriott hotels for a 10-15 years, and you get the room at thrift prices. all your vacations get planned around Marriott locations and American Airline destinations.

Luckily, I haven't had to do that in the last couple of years..........

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, spend 70-80 nights a year in Marriott hotels for a 10-15 years, and you get the room at thrift prices. all your vacations get planned around Marriott locations and American Airline destinations.

Luckily, I haven't had to do that in the last couple of years..........

Aha - got it! I had a job for about 6 years where I traveled around the US for work, and collected a bazillion airline / hotel / rental car / AmEx / etc points. Free vacations 3 or 4 times a year, fly to New York or Miami or LA for the weekend on a whim. Yes, those were fun times, but being on the road & in the air for 10 days to 2 weeks at a time was grueling. I'll never do that again...and that was pre- 9/11 - these days, forget it.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite kind of record score, some DJ's entire collection of obscure 80's new wave and rock. There were a ton of singles I left behind, but I did manage to pull 17 lp's. :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: All in great shape for a grand total of $4.65. There are a few in there I'm not sure of, but at a quarter a piece, I generally just buy all of them and re-donate the ones I end up not liking.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite kind of record score, some DJ's entire collection of obscure 80's new wave and rock. There were a ton of singles I left behind, but I did manage to pull 17 lp's.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
All in great shape for a grand total of $4.65. There are a few in there I'm not sure of, but at a quarter a piece, I generally just buy all of them and re-donate the ones I end up not liking.

Great grabs! Not totally obscure - unless one was into that kind of music at the time. I know I've had at least 6 or 7 of those at some time or another. I need to check out the vinyl more often at thrifts.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I guess I was thinking more for people who aren't into that kind of music, though there are a few I've never heard of as well.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Great grabs E. Definitely haven't seen any Boingo in a thrift yet. Hit a store yesterday with a huge stack of vinyl that had just come out... Mostly oldies compilations, comedy albums, and test records. At the usual (for out here) GW record price of $1.99 each, I passed. Sounds like you have some legit pricing out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads