1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

I was under the impression that people buy and sell things for cheap, not literally giving them away. At least many time I messaged members for thrifted goods, I was quoted ebay prices. In any case, I am asking for $150 for Isaia + Etro suit, both in pristine conditions. Or $220 to include the Brioni and the JPress blazers

2. eazye

eazye Senior member

I'm a poor college student and I'd give my left nut to have an eBay account again.

3 people like this.
  3. eazye

eazye Senior member

4. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Y no account?!

1 person likes this.
  5. eazye

eazye Senior member

Long story short, buyers fucked me over and I got kicked out.....twice.

6. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Yikes, I always here of horror stories like those. I guess I have been lucky **knock on wood**

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Try the marketplace. People here know what you paid...

My standard is cost plus shipping plus a pint at a pub.

1 person likes this.
  8. NeedForTweed123

NeedForTweed123 Senior member

Does anyone have any information or experience with Richard Thomas clothing? Specifically sportjackets and if they are fused or canvassed?

9. Versace Guy

Lol, same here. My eBay account got locked because some $10 Yu-Gi-oh card got lost during delivery.

1 person likes this.
  10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I think I was a tad expensive in what I asked/charged for some items, but recently jdrizzy offered me a great deal on a couple items I was eyeing on his eBay for myself and the lady, and I'll definitely pass that good will on to others.

Then again maybe I was being reasonable as most of my forum sales/trades have gone through.

11. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Thrift fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece (discount store)
    Hilditch and Key
    Turnbull and Asser
    Turnbull and Asser
    Martin Dingman
    Sanders

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    24 people like this.
  12. eazye

eazye Senior member

Sick!^^^^^^ Why can't I find any BBGF suits that even come close to resembling that silhouette? Or any suits for that matter?

2 people like this.
  13. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

For me, It really depends on the item and the specific circumstances in which I purchased the item.

If I find say a BB SC, which is something that I find relatively often then yeah, I'll probably be fine passing it on to someone for a decent discount off what I'd ask for on the 'bay..

But on the other hand, if it's something like let's say a Brioni SC, which I find very infrequently, I would probably ask for a bit more.

Also, given that I live in a very expensive and competitive thrifting environment, and additional calculation to factor in to what I might ask is what I paid for a given item. I'll happily pay $50 for something I know I can get $200 for on ebay, but that means my ask of a forum member is going to be higher than on something that I paid $10 for but could get $200 for on ebay. In the first scenario, I might ask $150 - after shipping I net maybe $90. In the second scenario, I ask $120, so after shipping I net $100. Obviously the latter is preferable if not always feasible.

At the very least, when stating an asking price to someone on an item, I'll factor in the fact that at the very least I'll be saving ~10% on fees (12% if they pay personal), and I also factor in the lack of potential headaches if I'm dealing with a known member vs. some potential psycho on eBay, and who can really put a % value on that?

14. Versace Guy

^^I am in the same boat. If it is something I find frequently like say, a Zegna shirt, then I wouldn't mind giving it away for next to nothing. But these items I am holding now are like my lifetime best, they are near grail items for most members, I sure am not going to give up my lifetime best easily unless it is for a reasonable deal. Hell, I see more Oxxford and Kiton finds been posted here than Isaia and Etro. Just to put it in perspective, usually the best thing I find in an entire week in my area is Hugo Boss...

Plus the only reason I quoted eBay is to show how reasonable my asking price already is compared to the lowest market value, and people want to low ball it even more?

15. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Your asking prices are perfectly reasonable, VersaceGuy. And since you're new to the whole trading/selling thing, it's understandable that you'd have questions. You might take it over to the eBay Buying/Selling thread or the Thrift Trading thread.

(I do try to pass on some very good deals to members, even sending NWT items free to people. But obviously you can't do that all the time for everybody.)

1 person likes this.
  16. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Masterfully handled, Chet.

Carry on, all (preferably with awesome pictures of stuff you're finding while I'm cooped up in an office).

1 person likes this.
  17. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

This. I think the source of the confusion was the wording of his original post. It really sounded like he wasn't interested in picking them up, but would do so if anyone was interested. That gave the impression that he was offering proxy/thrift-ish prices for them.

I think if he had just posted 'Etro suit, Brioni jacket, Isaia suit, here be the pics. Available' this would've gone more smoothly. People PM him, he quotes his price, and they accept it or not. No hurt feelings.

1 person likes this.
  18. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1. Those prices are perfectly reasonable. My response was more aimed at what sounded like turning the thread into a live auction and selling to the highest bidder.

1 person likes this.
  19. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Welcome to sales. I've worked jobs selling everything from entry level LCDs to Focal Utopia towers attached to McIntosh tube amps and each customer had something in common: they want to feel like they've won against you, like their your best and most special customer and they got a deal no one else did.

It didn't help your case that you first tried to pass it off like you find this stuff everyday but don't pick it up, and are now admitting you don't.

20. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

That isn't an unreasonable price to ask. In fact, that's a good deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.