• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Once a woman tried grabbing a NWT Mont Blanc briefcase I'd found right out of my hand. I reacted loudly. I still give her dirty looks, but I 'm sure she has no idea why. Different store though. The second worst.

Seriously? That's insane.

I wonder if we're in a menswear resell bubble that will soon burst. It seems like everyone and his dog is a flipper these days. Maybe it's the same as it's always been and I'm just more aware of it.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wonder if we're in a menswear resell bubble that will soon burst. It seems like everyone and his dog is a flipper these days. Maybe it's the same as it's always been and I'm just more aware of it.

Look, theres a market for everything. record flippers, glassware flippers, clothing flippers, furniture flippers. Where ever there is something to be had for cheap, you will ALWAYS find people looking to buy low and sell high. Its never going to be a burst bubble, but in order to stay ahead of the pack, you have to just continually step your game up (not you personally, chet). Thrift faster, harder, better, and stronger. Those without dedication will weed themselves out.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
e-thrift
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLO-by-RAL...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
also if anyone comes across 80s era ralph suiting, aka, structured shoulders, high gorge, low button stance, phat lapels, dual vents, ect, please holla it me if it has 19-20ish shoulders and 26ish sleeve,
I am in the proccess of selling of all my old suiting since it is too small for me, so 4 sportcoats and 1 suit will be on the choppingblock soon,
get ready 38-40R/Ls

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nah the game tough these days but on other news ebay has a TON of steals
also I have literally never seen another flipper and I live in the bay area

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And re: all the insane flipper talk... I still remember striking up a conversation with another flipper, which ended up being an incredibly pleasant chat that carried on as we looked through the racks, exchanging stuff we thought the other person might like better. I guess that's just the Canadian experience.
I befriended quite a few local flippers, but most of them flip other stuff (electronics, household, art, outdoor gear, etc). Most are super cool and like-minded folks but there are always those unpleasant ones who make everyone's thrifting experience as miserable as possible.
Thanks for the info - so damn cool to find something potentially that old! Here is a pic of the buttons:
Those buttons are exactly the same as a Duxbak jacket I consigned for another member several months ago. His jacket had a patent date of 1926. A consignment offer is always open. :spam: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VTG-19...nting-Coat-Jacket-Early-Size-36-/151122994340
I hope so. There have always been flippers but I noticed a large spike around 2009-2010. 5-10 years ago I would find crazy stuff just sitting on the shelves and racks at what are now some of the most highly picked stores in the TC metro area. Those days are long gone. Maybe once the economy recovers the thrifts will go back to how they once were. I know, highly unlikely but it's wishful thinking.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed that if y talk to a lot if the people with the flipper vibe they are actually cool, as long as they aren't standoffish
People who flip usually are treasure hunters it's like teaming up with other people in a game

Randomore

Reaction score

Yeah. For whatever reason, that is the worst store.

Once a woman tried grabbing a NWT Mont Blanc briefcase I'd found right out of my hand. I reacted loudly. I still give her dirty looks, but I 'm sure she has no idea why. Different store though. The second worst.

I know the store and the lady. She tried to grab stuff from my hands too.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
I love when people send me thrifted stuff (who don't post here tooo often) so figured I'd share the Appreciation
drool.gif

Triple Patch Pocket & Cashmere!

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good, would be good to see the full fit though if you're looking for real criticism. The only thing that seems off is the shirt collar, which looks kinda unnaturally stuffed under the jacket lapels. Longer points would be better I think.

And re: all the insane flipper talk... I still remember striking up a conversation with another flipper, which ended up being an incredibly pleasant chat that carried on as we looked through the racks, exchanging stuff we thought the other person might like better. I guess that's just the Canadian experience.

Of course, we know some Toronto flippers are a bit more volatile.

Does one of them kick carts?

I know the store and the lady. She tried to grab stuff from my hands too.

That's when you call 1800-slap-a-ho.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red hair? Yeah, that lady is everywhere.

Yep - gotta be the same "lady." I was annoyed, then amused that she must be hunting PRL or whatever.

I love hearing people make a big deal out of shite brands... Yesterday, while I was handling a Kiton shirt, I heard some dude going on about a Facconable shirt. To each his own, i suppose!

Heh! But I'll still grab some Fac' if it's current and like new or donated NWT. I've seen some insane price labels on the new stuff. Personally I think it's kind of cheaply made.

I don't recall thrifting in Atlanta. Well, there was that one time in college..

biggrin.gif

Them stealth-thrifters. You know the ones. Head down, hat & sunglasses on so as to not be distracted by the nubiles looking for boyfriend shirts.

Can slide hangars and check labels en masse unnoticed. Modern Ninjas, they be.

Its never going to be a burst bubble, but in order to stay ahead of the pack, you have to just continually step your game up (not you personally, chet). Thrift faster, harder, better, and stronger. Those without dedication will weed themselves out.

+17. Step up ones game and broaden ones knowledge base, all the time. Buy low and sell high is how any economy works. No risk, no reward...and you learn as you go, lowering your risk exposure, but it does take work and making mistakes. It takes money to make money. Old salvos hold true. And Mr. Spoo has wised up and worked to the point that his risk appears to be practically nil, and deserves every bit of success he has earned. "faster, harder, better, and stronger" - sounds like the intro to the old Six Million Dollar Man TV show but I'll bet Spoo grosses $6mil in 4 years +/-. **

**pure conjecture and talking out my butt.

And an e-thrift brag: I have never worn an ascot, and likely never will, but had to grab this NWT as they go for about $130 retail.

Last edited:

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do we make of these? Shoes? Slippers? Mens? Women's? Size is 41.5, so workable for either sex in that regard. Available.

dee59380d857afc166259a21c5bb156d_zpsffef00a5.jpg

2f45e6319738e1142c24b28d15e3bb0f_zpsd40a62f8.jpg

708a6a50c3c7e04b04398ddfdcf0a630_zpsc1ada905.jpg
5993043e5f800555932bc1f39b0c6602_zpsea297035.jpg

rayxlui

Reaction score
Hey guys, after reading the devastation that has occurred in the Phillipines, I was wondering if y'all would be interested in donating $10+ to the Red Cross or equivalent and being entered into a raffle for something I've found. Maybe a pair of LVCs or something Brioni (I somehow have a lot of this stuff). You'd be entered by showing a screenshot of your donation.

Randomore

Reaction score
Hey guys, after reading the devastation that has occurred in the Phillipines, I was wondering if y'all would be interested in donating $10+ to the Red Cross or equivalent and being entered into a raffle for something I've found. Maybe a pair of LVCs or something Brioni (I somehow have a lot of this stuff). You'd be entered by showing a screenshot of your donation.
Donated already but Ill do so again, im down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads