The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

2. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Thrift/consigment shops knowing designers I have come to accept. But knowing the meanswear tailors, and really less known brands drives me crazy. There is a consignment shop in town that has a lady who knows her stuff too well for my liking. Ironically, I don't think her customers do and go for the designer stuff. Either way, the prices are obscene- $450 and up for a used Boss, almost a thousand for a RLBL.

3. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

5 New with tags Brooks Brothers dress shirts white and various striped models. 5 ties, Canali, Charles Tyrwhitt, Hickey Freeman and a couple of City of London by Ferrell Reed. Now I know what that City of London thread was about a few weeks ago. Much nicer construction than the brand I've seen at TJ Maxx.

Also an awesome older wool coat by Brooks Brothers in Navy, has a yellow and blue stripe lining, fits me perfectly.

4. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Thrift/consigment shops knowing designers I have come to accept. But knowing the meanswear tailors, and really less known brands drives me crazy. There is a consignment shop in town that has a lady who knows her stuff too well for my liking. Ironically, I don't think her customers do and go for the designer stuff. Either way, the prices are obscene- $450 and up for a used Boss, almost a thousand for a RLBL.

At one of the local church thrifts they hired a lady who actually knows her stuff: she goes through the the ties and pulls the Kitons, Brionis, Hermes, etc. and puts them in a glass case. She doesn't even bother with the Armani's, Valentino's, and brands like that. The regular ties are $1.99 but the ones in the case are $19.99. That is, they were until she recently raised the prices to $29.99! It makes me want to cry, too, because some guy must have upset his wife/girfriend pretty badly: there are about a dozen very recent Hermes ties in there in perfect shape.

Here's some pics from yesterday's finds. I couldn't find any clue as to the tailor of the suit but I assume it's Asian. The thing is built like a tank. Example: the crotch is gusseted and has an extra layer of fabric. I also noticed that the jacket under collar is self-fabric, not felt. I'm not sure if that's a sign of quality or cheapness. The construction is impeccable. The only letdown is the fabric is fairly stiff, though apparently quite hardy. I would love to see this in a lighter weight, super 120's or such.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Those boots look interesting. What are they?

6. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

The regular ties are $1.99 but the ones in the case are $19.99. That is, they were until she recently raised the prices to $29.99! It makes me want to cry...

My lady wants $65 for a Corneliani and clearly used shape.

7. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

+1

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

My favorite spot yielded a Harris Tweed coat today, I'm pumped. And I picked up a 90's st louis Blues jersey at a goodwill. The really really loud one with the diagonal stripes.

9. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

found a Zegna shirt, XL

New with tags Polo Ralph Lauren Khakis 38X30 (only thing is someone cut the label in half (the ne that reads POLO by Ralph Lauren on the inside)

1 size too big on each. Anybody want them?

10. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

+1

Bed|Stu (?). I've seen that brand on the Urban Outfitters website but I don't know much about them. Here's a pic of the bottoms (sorry it's blurry): the ball of the foot has some scuffing but the heel looks unmarked - that discoloration in the brown part of the heel appears to be an intentional part of the distressed look - and the uppers are uncreased. I wonder if they're unworn and the scuffing on the ball is also factory done? [​IMG]

The hardest part for this former soldier is going to be to NOT polish them. I guess I'm just supposed to mink oil them?

[​IMG]

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Polish or mink oil, depending on the look you want. I would stick with mink oil with those though.

12. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Don't know much about Bed Stu, but they look like fun kick-around boots. +1 on the mink oil.

13. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

No thrift finds today, but I thought I'd share with you guys some other good deals I've had lately. A few weeks back I didn't have any shell (well, I had a pair of split-toe Florsheim's, but they were a little too big and I've since passed them on as a Father's Day present), now I've got these three lovely pairs.

[​IMG]

From left to right:
    Alden - purchased brand new from a forum member here, for a steal at $305. It's nice to get some shoes new every now and then.

AE Macneil - $81 off ebay. The condition is quite nice on these and the insoles aren't very worn in.

Florsheim Imperial longwings - $43 off ebay.

I'll be wearing all three for a long time to come.

[​IMG]

Just today I picked up these suede spectators from the most unlikely of shops. It's called Funk & Flash, and only click on that link if you want your eyes to explode. They set me back $55, and won't be used for street wear, but will fit in quite nicely as my new dance shoes for swing dances I go to.

[​IMG]

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found a neat brown stripe button-down by Loden Dager. Not surprising that I found it in the only thrift shop I ever find streetwear stuff (APC, LVC, Steven Alan, Margiela, etc) in.

15. meister

meister Senior member

Polish or mink oil, depending on the look you want. I would stick with mink oil with those though.

Avoid mink oil at all times...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.