• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynch_king

Reaction score
EBTX66;3348284 said:
Had a decent run at lunch:
- I bypassed the "designer" table with its Izod, Hilfiger, and Nautica ties /QUOTE]

you are so lucky they don't know designers. this new girl that works there just started telling everyone about which designers are which. so she's pulling anything armani, dior, even the crappy lauren RL stuff NOOO! :p

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift/consigment shops knowing designers I have come to accept. But knowing the meanswear tailors, and really less known brands drives me crazy. There is a consignment shop in town that has a lady who knows her stuff too well for my liking. Ironically, I don't think her customers do and go for the designer stuff. Either way, the prices are obscene- $450 and up for a used Boss, almost a thousand for a RLBL.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
5 New with tags Brooks Brothers dress shirts white and various striped models. 5 ties, Canali, Charles Tyrwhitt, Hickey Freeman and a couple of City of London by Ferrell Reed. Now I know what that City of London thread was about a few weeks ago. Much nicer construction than the brand I've seen at TJ Maxx.

Also an awesome older wool coat by Brooks Brothers in Navy, has a yellow and blue stripe lining, fits me perfectly.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Thrift/consigment shops knowing designers I have come to accept. But knowing the meanswear tailors, and really less known brands drives me crazy. There is a consignment shop in town that has a lady who knows her stuff too well for my liking. Ironically, I don't think her customers do and go for the designer stuff. Either way, the prices are obscene- $450 and up for a used Boss, almost a thousand for a RLBL.

At one of the local church thrifts they hired a lady who actually knows her stuff: she goes through the the ties and pulls the Kitons, Brionis, Hermes, etc. and puts them in a glass case. She doesn't even bother with the Armani's, Valentino's, and brands like that. The regular ties are $1.99 but the ones in the case are $19.99. That is, they were until she recently raised the prices to $29.99! It makes me want to cry, too, because some guy must have upset his wife/girfriend pretty badly: there are about a dozen very recent Hermes ties in there in perfect shape.

Here's some pics from yesterday's finds. I couldn't find any clue as to the tailor of the suit but I assume it's Asian. The thing is built like a tank. Example: the crotch is gusseted and has an extra layer of fabric. I also noticed that the jacket under collar is self-fabric, not felt. I'm not sure if that's a sign of quality or cheapness. The construction is impeccable. The only letdown is the fabric is fairly stiff, though apparently quite hardy. I would love to see this in a lighter weight, super 120's or such.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those boots look interesting. What are they?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
The regular ties are $1.99 but the ones in the case are $19.99. That is, they were until she recently raised the prices to $29.99! It makes me want to cry...

My lady wants $65 for a Corneliani and clearly used shape.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp

+1

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite spot yielded a Harris Tweed coat today, I'm pumped. And I picked up a 90's st louis Blues jersey at a goodwill. The really really loud one with the diagonal stripes.

lynch_king

Reaction score
found a Zegna shirt, XL

New with tags Polo Ralph Lauren Khakis 38X30 (only thing is someone cut the label in half (the ne that reads POLO by Ralph Lauren on the inside)

1 size too big on each. Anybody want them?

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp

Originally Posted by deveandepot1
+1

Bed|Stu (?). I've seen that brand on the Urban Outfitters website but I don't know much about them. Here's a pic of the bottoms (sorry it's blurry): the ball of the foot has some scuffing but the heel looks unmarked - that discoloration in the brown part of the heel appears to be an intentional part of the distressed look - and the uppers are uncreased. I wonder if they're unworn and the scuffing on the ball is also factory done?
confused.gif

The hardest part for this former soldier is going to be to NOT polish them. I guess I'm just supposed to mink oil them?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polish or mink oil, depending on the look you want. I would stick with mink oil with those though.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know much about Bed Stu, but they look like fun kick-around boots. +1 on the mink oil.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
No thrift finds today, but I thought I'd share with you guys some other good deals I've had lately. A few weeks back I didn't have any shell (well, I had a pair of split-toe Florsheim's, but they were a little too big and I've since passed them on as a Father's Day present), now I've got these three lovely pairs.

20100625igp3126.jpg

From left to right:
Alden - purchased brand new from a forum member here, for a steal at $305. It's nice to get some shoes new every now and then.

AE Macneil - $81 off ebay. The condition is quite nice on these and the insoles aren't very worn in.

Florsheim Imperial longwings - $43 off ebay.

I'll be wearing all three for a long time to come.

20100625igp3129.jpg

Just today I picked up these suede spectators from the most unlikely of shops. It's called Funk & Flash, and only click on that link if you want your eyes to explode. They set me back $55, and won't be used for street wear, but will fit in quite nicely as my new dance shoes for swing dances I go to.

20100625igp3132.jpg

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Polish or mink oil, depending on the look you want. I would stick with mink oil with those though.

Avoid mink oil at all times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads