• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hit 23 stores in the last 2 days

Enormous amount of flippers
and those looking at Ebay while
shopping

Takes the sport and mind out
of thrifting

So, you've hit that many shops and you're surprised others do the same?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hit 23 stores in the last 2 days

Enormous amount of flippers
and those looking at Ebay while
shopping

Takes the sport and mind out
of thrifting

If ya think it's bad here in Minnesota, try going to LA and San Diego. It's crazy. I saw several fights break out over stuff. People literally jump on carts and racks while the employee is still pushing them!

what location. haven't come across that yet...

All of them. Only a few select thrift (mostly those in redneck country) don't seem to have as many. All of the convenient and well-known locations get hit hard.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If ya think it's bad here in Minnesota, try going to LA and San Diego. It's crazy. I saw several fights break out over stuff. People literally jump on carts and racks while the employee is still pushing them!

I'm glad I live in North Carolina.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
I saw several fights break out over stuff. People literally jump on carts and racks while the employee is still pushing them!
This. Daily. When I first started hitting the shops here and witnessed this, I was amazed. I didn't know what was happening, it wasn't real life. I still like to watch the scrum as it happens, they usually grab utter ****. Most of my scores that are on racks/carts get passed up by the first wave of people anyway. This behavior also varies from store to store. The most uncivilized action that I've witnessed has taken place at the shop closest to me.

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny that folks here are complaining about flippers. But yes of course there is more now than there used to be.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I cooking with gas here?

Just the blazer

faft3omn.jpg

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely!

You need a care package? If everyone here sends you two things it will almost be like you were actually in the thrift.

Thanks, but really not the same. It's the thrill of the hunt, or to paraphrase J. Houseman from those old Smith Barney commercials, "At Pnutpug's house, we find treasures the old-fashioned way--we earn them." I am spending a lot of time cruising used vinyl online and pulled the trigger on a purportedly pristine copy of Who's Next last night. My own is nearly worn out. The irony is, I got hurt on my way into the annual Goodwill employee appreciation dinner.

s_allen_p

Reaction score

This. Daily. When I first started hitting the shops here and witnessed this, I was amazed. I didn't know what was happening, it wasn't real life. I still like to watch the scrum as it happens, they usually grab utter ****. Most of my scores that are on racks/carts get passed up by the first wave of people anyway. This behavior also varies from store to store. The most uncivilized action that I've witnessed has taken place at the shop closest to me.

Yeah. For whatever reason, that is the worst store.

Once a woman tried grabbing a NWT Mont Blanc briefcase I'd found right out of my hand. I reacted loudly. I still give her dirty looks, but I 'm sure she has no idea why. Different store though. The second worst.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, but really not the same. It's the thrill of the hunt, or to paraphrase J. Houseman from those old Smith Barney commercials, "At Pnutpug's house, we find treasures the old-fashioned way--we earn them." I am spending a lot of time cruising used vinyl online and pulled the trigger on a purportedly pristine copy of Who's Next last night. My own is nearly worn out. The irony is, I got hurt on my way into the annual Goodwill employee appreciation dinner.
I can send a package to one of your neighbors and you could hobble the block searching for it.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny that folks here are complaining about flippers. But yes of course there is more now than there used to be.
I hate flippers!

lol8[1].gif

Actually yesterday I had another flipper lady jump in front of me in the aisle, leafing through the racks 3 items ahead of me. She did the same thing in the next aisle and the one after that. Finally I just checked out and left. I don't need to find anything that bad. I flip 98.2% of the stuff I find, but I try to be considerate of others in the store. She left with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads