Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 83glt

83glt Senior member

I'm not normally one who complains about the content of the thread - hell, I've been guilty of derailing it occasionally myself. However, am I the only "old-timer" disturbed by the thread's apparent transistion to the Flipper's Bragging Thread? I'm all for newbies joining and learning what are great brands to buy but I like when you're learning to buy for YOURSELF. Sure, we all might find the occasional outstanding piece that we buy to sell but the guys I know who do that (self included) tend to turn right around and invest it in another thrifting trip or splurge on the B&S forum. I'm watching post after post from guys who brag simply about all of the things they've found to sell. You guys that are hitting departments and cleaning them out of anything even remotely mentioned on this thread are the reason the senior members don't answer questions about "where's a good place", etc. Guys, you're basically going to a used car lot and asking the guy, "where do you buy your cars? I want to get there first, buy them all up, and run you out of business. Thanks for all of your help".
    This is why I hardly post here anymore. I know I was new here once upon a time, and surely made my share of annoying posts, but when 90% of the thread is now brand new members "bragging" about stuff they have for sale or asking "is this a good brand?" instead of doing a 30 second search, it gets pretty tiresome. I'm not the only one either. A lot of the "old-timers", among which I hardly count myself, have disappeared or post very rarely. I think we've all seen and felt the explosion of flippers and its impact on our thrifting experiences. As has been lamented here repeatedly, when you combine the influx of ravenous flippers, a depressed economy resulting in reduced donations both in terms of quantity and quality, and ever-increasing prices at the thrift stores themselves, we face a perfect storm of forces that are ruining the hobby. The places that I can go to to thrift have been drastically reduced in number because of the forces mentioned above. So, maybe that's also why I don't post here anymore, as there just aren't the finds out there. Anyway, I like the idea of setting up another thread for flippers, but I gotta wonder just how many people are stupid enough to advertise that they bought something for $5 and are now selling for $500 on another thread.

2. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

... The other pix (295 & 85) are of my personal shoe collection. Other than family and one friend I haven't shared it with anyone.http://img52.imageshack.us/g/shoes414.jpg/

[​IMG] I showed your pics to my wife: "see, honey, you shouldn't complain about MY collection.

... My flip profits go into my Paypal slush fund, and usually go to B&S/AAAC thrift exchange....

That's exactly where mine go, also. However, I usually end up buying something on eBay. I don't seem to have much luck on the B&S anymore - everything is either new and therefore too expensive or used and priced too high. It's sort of hard to justify paying over $100 for a used Zegna/Oxxford/etc. when I've found them at thrift stores for $5. Especially now that my wife is aware of it too. [​IMG]

...Anyway, that said, here's the last couple of weeks keepers...

[​IMG] Those are some major scores.

...Now profit is a whole different story. If I get it cheap, I'll sell it cheap. Most stuff I sell on here goes within a matter of 10 minutes. The people who pick up the $5 Oxxford suits and puts them up for $400 are the ones who I get a bit annoyed with. Why not pass on the deal? You know the person you're selling it to will enjoy it (they're on SF for pete's sake).

That's one reason I love that other forum where the guys thrift trad items and sell them to each other: the guys know that the stuff has been thrifted and the basically exchange it with each other for just enough profit to make it worth their while. I guess it's easier for them because they have a much narrower range of products.

im a noob, student here . the rare occasians i do have time to thrift it is for me. and im learning about brands/ fits.

i have a closet that is pretty empty or filled with stuff from old navy that is falling apart, I'm keeping everything i've thrifted. well with the exception of the stuff that doesn't fit me and fits people i know. then they keep the stuff i thrifted (hopefully) as gifts

18 months ago I one Jones New York suit and a dresser full of shorts and t-shirts. Thanks to this thread, thrifting, and careful eBay hunting (not always successful - see my B&S thread) I have suits from Kiton, Belvest, St. Andrews, Golden Fleece, Zegna, etc. Hang in there!

... I think we've all seen and felt the explosion of flippers and its impact on our thrifting experiences. As has been lamented here repeatedly, when you combine the influx of ravenous flippers, a depressed economy resulting in reduced donations both in terms of quantity and quality, and ever-increasing prices at the thrift stores themselves, we face a perfect storm of forces that are ruining the hobby....

All we can hope for is that thrifting is like smoking cigars or golf: classic hobbies that caught on for awhile with the hipsters but eventually faded back to just the original enthusiasts. I found out yesterday that one of my spots that recently started a display case for "special ties" for $19.99 just raised the price to $29.99. At a church thrift! It is definitely time for everyone to move on to the Next Big Thing so that sanity can return to our hobby. I heard gardening is getting huge...

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Okay, here are my last two 'fits from WAYW, one dress, one casual.

From Sunday. The db jacket is silk RLPL made by Chester Barrie. I'm sure it's an orphaned suit coat. It was at my local thrift, priced a little higher than I wanted to pay. I tried it on. It fit. I left it. I kept going back. It kept being there. One day it disappeared, so I figured that was for the better. Then a few weeks later it was back, now on markdown. I finally bought it, but then had to figure out what to do with it. This is the result. The shirt is a Guy Rover from a consignment store in another city, the tie is a Brooks Brothers recently thrifted. I'm also wearing Trafalgar Limited Edition braces, which, too, were thrifted. Pocket square from B&S, shoes purchased on markdown from a store a couple of years back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides showing my Daly-esque physique this was put together on a budget. The patch madras shorts are JCrew, thrifted a couple of weeks ago for $3-$4. The shirt is as new and was gotten as part of a thrift trade on AAAC. I had a too large Lacoste, the other fellow had three (!) too small Lacostes. I sent him mine plus some cash, he sent me the three he had. This is why I willingly pick up quality stuff that's not my size. He contacted me because I listed the shirt I found. The CVOs are Polo RL I got at Marshall's on super clearance years ago (paid less than $5). Watch is a Timex from Target, band is from the Brooks Brothers outlet.

[​IMG]

4. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Sometime when I get compliments for my clothing I think to myself, if they only new that 90% of what I am wearing is thrifted or bought used at huge discounts off of ebay. I thrift because it is like gold fever. When you find something good you want to just keep looking and searching for the next great find. If I find something good I will usually always pick it up if I know it is something that can fill my paypal slush fund. The fund is usually cleaned out on other ebay finds.

Due to my size, 6'7" thrift stores just aren't going to have stuff that fits me very often. But if I can flip some of those finds to others I can get what I want when I can find it. Like others I have been able to put together a quite remarkable wardrobe at a fraction of retail.

I haven't found any great finds lately, but hope that you guys will and post more pictures of your finds.

5. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

That hat really looks great on you, AlanC.

6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Both ensembles look great, Alan. I particularly like that dress shirt. Shirts are probably the most neglected area of my wardrobe.

Just a thought: I find gray boxer briefs tend to show up less under white/cream trousers.

7. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I get stuff to flip, but my goal (generally) is to find things for my own wardrobe. My flip profits go into my Paypal slush fund, and usually go to B&S/AAAC thrift exchange. I try to have enough sense not to post things that I intend to flip in this thread. Sometimes, like with the Kiton I found a few months ago, the goal was to wear it (which, I did, once), but it was just too big so I flipped it.

I've been considering posting the occasional WAYW pic here that makes significant use of thrifted items. I think it might ad some interest to the thread to see various people putting their thrifted wares in action, identifying the pieces and price paid (if recalled). Any interest in this?

Ditto AlanC

8. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Nonsense. They look perfectly wearable. Maybe not to every occassion, but to say they've had their day and are ruined is lunacy.

The leather is split along both sides of both shoes. I think the shape is of the shoe is quite beautiful and the leather is amazing where it's healthy--which is most of the shoe. But I can't think of many occasions where it's appropriate to wear black balmoral oxfords with gills.

When I say ruined, I mean that the leather is damaged in a particular way that they will never recover from.
    [​IMG]

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Both ensembles look great, Alan. I particularly like that dress shirt. Shirts are probably the most neglected area of my wardrobe.

Just a thought: I find gray boxer briefs tend to show up less under white/cream trousers.

Thanks. FYI, what you're seeing are actually the pockets of the trousers, not my boxers.

10. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Thanks. FYI, what you're seeing are actually the pockets of the trousers, not my boxers.

I wondered that, and I have the same issue with mine. I finally decided against pockets because it looked like they went all the way around both legs.

11. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

The leather is split along both sides of both shoes. I think the shape is of the shoe is quite beautiful and the leather is amazing where it's healthy--which is most of the shoe. But I can't think of many occasions where it's appropriate to wear black balmoral oxfords with gills.

When I say ruined, I mean that the leather is damaged in a particular way that they will never recover from.

I think you might be surprised at what you could get on eBay. Start them at .99 with good pictures and full disclosure of the crazing.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^Yes, very good advice. I'd go with ebay for the Lobbs.

13. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Had a decent run at lunch:
    - Blue royal oxford dress shirt from Collen & Claire. I've never heard of them but the fabric and construction is incredible and it has the thread-approved thick MOP buttons - $3.99
    - I bypassed the "designer" table with its Izod, Hilfiger, and Nautica ties and on the regular rack I found a lowly, no-name tie from somebody called Charvet - $1.99 [​IMG]
    - Picked up a bespoke flannel 3 piece suit in charcoal blue. No tags but it has surgeons cuffs, is fully canvassed, 2B, and center vented. It has nice roped shoulders and a supressed waist (too bad mine isn't). The pants have the Oxxford style hidden pocket in the waistband, but in the back above the right hip pocket. I thought maybe that was someone's signature feature? - $12.50
    - NWOT combat boots in distressed brown from Bed-Sty. Not my usual style but I thought they might look good with jeans. I also thought it be cool to mix them with that new 3-piece suit and a faded, work style shirt. I know, I know; I'm too old for that foolishness... - $9.99

14. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

I just found an amazing greyish blue wool 3 piece suit at a Value Village for $19.99. The only alteration it will need is lengthening the pants by an inch. They had been previously shortened by 4 inches so that will only cost $10 to have done.

I also found a burgundy dress belt with a silver buckle for $5 at the same place.

I never find vintage suits that fit me so this is an exciting day. Ill post photos later if I have time.

15. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

Here are some photos to go with my last post. I also found a nice set of Floresheim shoe trees after for $5. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The suit looks a little more blue in real life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.