The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I get stuff to flip, but my goal (generally) is to find things for my own wardrobe. My flip profits go into my Paypal slush fund, and usually go to B&S/AAAC thrift exchange. I try to have enough sense not to post things that I intend to flip in this thread. Sometimes, like with the Kiton I found a few months ago, the goal was to wear it (which, I did, once), but it was just too big so I flipped it.

I've been considering posting the occasional WAYW pic here that makes significant use of thrifted items. I think it might ad some interest to the thread to see various people putting their thrifted wares in action, identifying the pieces and price paid (if recalled). Any interest in this?

2. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

^I like that idea.

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I like it, and I second the hate for flippers. If it's not in my size, I'll leave it for someone else, only getting the occasional item to pass along.

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I'm not normally one who complains about the content of the thread - hell, I've been guilty of derailing it occasionally myself. However, am I the only "old-timer" disturbed by the thread's apparent transistion to the Flipper's Bragging Thread? I'm all for newbies joining and learning what are great brands to buy but I like when you're learning to buy for YOURSELF. Sure, we all might find the occasional outstanding piece that we buy to sell but the guys I know who do that (self included) tend to turn right around and invest it in another thrifting trip or splurge on the B&S forum. I'm watching post after post from guys who brag simply about all of the things they've found to sell. You guys that are hitting departments and cleaning them out of anything even remotely mentioned on this thread are the reason the senior members don't answer questions about "where's a good place", etc. Guys, you're basically going to a used car lot and asking the guy, "where do you buy your cars? I want to get there first, buy them all up, and run you out of business. Thanks for all of your help".

You've summed up my thoughts exactly. We all come across and purchase an item that isn't our size or to our tastes, but only a fool would pass up, like any Kiton/Brioni/Isaia/etc item in good shape. However, using this thread as a billboard to your daily finds/for sale items bothers me quite a bit.

5. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

I get stuff to flip, but my goal (generally) is to find things for my own wardrobe. My flip profits go into my Paypal slush fund, and usually go to B&S/AAAC thrift exchange. I try to have enough sense not to post things that I intend to flip in this thread. Sometimes, like with the Kiton I found a few months ago, the goal was to wear it (which, I did, once), but it was just too big so I flipped it.

I've been considering posting the occasional WAYW pic here that makes significant use of thrifted items. I think it might ad some interest to the thread to see various people putting their thrifted wares in action, identifying the pieces and price paid (if recalled). Any interest in this?

I think that's a great idea! I wouldn't mind showing off my finds, especially if I knew I wasn't going to get roasted for wearing the occasional *gasp* ventless jacket or wearing my pants 1/8" too long. Plus, I'd really like to see how much Antirabbit actually resembles Willie Nelson. [​IMG]

6. TimothyLeighton

TimothyLeighton Member

I don't post often but I totally agree how worthless posts of people bragging about making thrifting shitty for other people are

It's really exciting to find something decent. If it doesn't fit you isn't there any joy in imagining how pleased the person who it does fit will be?

7. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

All I would be able to post is shoes. I've found the odd jacket and overcoat but in my neck of the woods nothing is ever to special. Shoe's and tree's are the best I've ever got and those are mostly unused florshems/daks and AE's.

8. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Ok so we actually gotta be in the clothes we brag about?

So here is a link to me in my:
    Oxxford suit--6.99 plus about $75 in alterations and a good cleaning
    BB Makers tie--1.24
    Bijan Ali or Croc shoes--4.99
    MOP tie clip--yard sale .50
    I have yet to score a decent shirt in my size, and I ain't buying no thrift store underwear or socks.

The other pix (295 & 85) are of my personal shoe collection. Other than family and one friend I haven't shared it with anyone.

The other 5 pictures of shoes are of my shoes for sale, about 250 pairs, what is left of the used shoe store I bought out as well as some of my thrift store contributions

http://img52.imageshack.us/g/shoes414.jpg/

9. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

I guess there are many opinions on thrifting & flipping. Shoes are my thing. Both buying and selling. But I could not buy off of ebay if I did not sell on ebay. I simply could not afford it.

I think, too, that not everyone who thrifts even appreciates high end items. I once gifted a pair of dressy AE loafers to my Dad. When I found out he was using them as his yard mowing shoes, I nearly had a stroke! How many other AE's and Aldens are being worn for yard and garden work simply because they fit and were cheap at a thrift store? How many nice pants or shirts are treated the same way? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I would rather they be used in a classier manner and the Dockers & New Balance be used in the dirt and grease. If I l see something high end, should I leave it for someone who won't appreciate it's real value, or leave it for the other ebay flippers who may be have their own shoe fetish to feed, or leave it for someone who is looking for something just for himself? Or should I buy it? Hmmm.......

By the way, the Marshall's in my area have Bruno Magli shoes for about half the retail, that is from $125 to $199. Some are also $99. Original price was $250-400. If this is a brand you like check your store and see what they have.

10. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

This is the exact same thing I do. I don't think I've ever made a PP withdrawal before. Anything I happen to "flip" gets reinvested right back to the SF members.

11. mike540

mike540 Senior member

While I do flip the occassional item it's not very often, partly because it's too much work. But like others, with any sales the money just goes back into more B&S or ebay purchases and sometime you just can't pass something up. I curently have an '07 Zegna Su Misura 100% cashmere SC on ebay. I paid $5. I couldn't pass it up for 2 reasons. It's in mint condition and it's a 72EU! I figure some guy who's that rare a size will be happy to spend less than a tenth of retail and it's better off on ebay offered to a wider audience than moldering away in some church thrift shop in a small southwestern Ontario town.
    Anyway, that said, here's the last couple of weeks keepers...
    Samuelsohn, I sold a smaller sized version of this a couple weeks ago and was thrilled to find it in my size, dbl vented, pick stitching, $12.99
    [​IMG]
    Oxxford Cashwool, $7.99, hanging beside a NWT Banana Republic SC for $99! Gotta love Value Village.
    [​IMG]
    Zileri suit $39
    [​IMG]
    Canali pin stripe, $49 but mint
    [​IMG]
    Church's Custom Grade, $5.99 at Goodwill and vintage Schlesinger briefcase, not really thrift, EBay but around $50
    [​IMG]

12. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

^^Some great scores!!!^

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I think, too, that not everyone who thrifts even appreciates high end items. I once gifted a pair of dressy AE loafers to my Dad. When I found out he was using them as his yard mowing shoes, I nearly had a stroke! How many other AE's and Aldens are being worn for yard and garden work simply because they fit and were cheap at a thrift store? How many nice pants or shirts are treated the same way? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I would rather they be used in a classier manner and the Dockers & New Balance be used in the dirt and grease. If I l see something high end, should I leave it for someone who won't appreciate it's real value, or leave it for the other ebay flippers who may be have their own shoe fetish to feed, or leave it for someone who is looking for something just for himself? Or should I buy it? Hmmm.......
    You have some very good points and I have the same way of thinking. This question goes through my mind whenever I find something really nice and cheap: "Why leave the mint-condition Brioni suit behind, only for some high-school kid to buy it, wear it to a dance and to the "after party" where beer will get spilled on it and possibly get vomited on, then thrown out because it only costed $8?". I'd much rather buy it and pass it on to a fellow SFer who knows what it is and will take care of it. Now profit is a whole different story. If I get it cheap, I'll sell it cheap. Most stuff I sell on here goes within a matter of 10 minutes. The people who pick up the $5 Oxxford suits and puts them up for $400 are the ones who I get a bit annoyed with. Why not pass on the deal? You know the person you're selling it to will enjoy it (they're on SF for pete's sake).

14. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

I'm not normally one who complains about the content of the thread - hell, I've been guilty of derailing it occasionally myself. However, am I the only "old-timer" disturbed by the thread's apparent transistion to the Flipper's Bragging Thread? I'm all for newbies joining and learning what are great brands to buy but I like when you're learning to buy for YOURSELF. Sure, we all might find the occasional outstanding piece that we buy to sell but the guys I know who do that (self included) tend to turn right around and invest it in another thrifting trip or splurge on the B&S forum. I'm watching post after post from guys who brag simply about all of the things they've found to sell. You guys that are hitting departments and cleaning them out of anything even remotely mentioned on this thread are the reason the senior members don't answer questions about "where's a good place", etc. Guys, you're basically going to a used car lot and asking the guy, "where do you buy your cars? I want to get there first, buy them all up, and run you out of business. Thanks for all of your help".

im a noob, student here . the rare occasians i do have time to thrift it is for me. and im learning about brands/ fits.

i have a closet that is pretty empty or filled with stuff from old navy that is falling apart, I'm keeping everything i've thrifted. well with the exception of the stuff that doesn't fit me and fits people i know. then they keep the stuff i thrifted (hopefully) as gifts

15. 83glt

83glt Senior member

You can't recraft split or damaged leather, unfortunately.

This pair has had their day.

Nonsense. They look perfectly wearable. Maybe not to every occassion, but to say they've had their day and are ruined is lunacy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.