• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those J Crew Vests with the Moon Cloth go for stupid money on the bay, $100 easy if you're patient

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a little trip through my local Last Call and Nordstrom Rack stores...

Eye opening, to say the least. There was stuff in there I've only seen in this thread. Didn't buy anything crazy cheap, but the clearance rack has some serious potential!

Absolutely. Bought a skeeter there on Sunday, sold on Tuesday...easiest profit I've seen in a while. The Rack near me has almost zero potential except when they super-discount their Robert Talbott BOC ties. Last Call, on the other hand, can have some steep discounts, and when they run their extra 40% off (for giving them your email address [again]), and you get an extra 10% off email coupon on top, it gets serious up in there.

A few things today...

Skeets (XL -x3)

From NMLC?

So, it turns out I'm getting married before the end of the year, like for realz this time, not like I want to get married...

So, I got a quote from my cousin (he owns a jewelry company) for a set of platinum wedding band, a 1/2 carat, 3 stones diamond, platinum engagement ring, G color, VS1 - VS2 for about $4,000...Just a 1k over budget...Thinking about copping...What do you guys think of the quality vs. price point? All the rings are made in Japan...Not sure if that's relevant...

Anyhow, it looks like I'm going to have to fleabay my entire inventory to afford this wedding...
uhoh.gif

Never having been married, but having plenty of divorces all around me, that first sentence doesn't sound very promising...but if that is how it's turning out, well, naturally I wish you all the best.
As far as cost of rings & wedding, please do not go into debt to get married if you can at all help it. Last thing a new couple needs is a load of debt to start their new life together (because it will be both of your's debt after the I Do's). Hopefully you can eBay your way to a cash-paid wedding. If she's a bargain-hunter like you, maybe you can plant the seed of a Vegas wedding and throw a big party for friends and family when you get back, instead of an extravagant wedding. (OK that's my ideal wedding scenario...but it's not gonna happen so I'm hoping to live vicariously thru you).

Wait - it's November in a couple days and it just now turns out you're getting married before the end of the year?! Shotgun style?

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barrel
I wanted to save up for flathead or samurai
Need them 21
(And sell stuff to buy )
But good point a thick jean will be good soon!
True!!
And now I'm want Okayama spirits....
Jawns problem!!!!!

That Armani is the old one used to be good not recent. I normally avoid. Unless u think fabric is good.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Bought a skeeter there on Sunday, sold on Tuesday...easiest profit I've seen in a while. The Rack near me has almost zero potential except when they super-discount their Robert Talbott BOC ties. Last Call, on the other hand, can have some steep discounts, and when they run their extra 40% off (for giving them your email address [again]), and you get an extra 10% off email coupon on top, it gets serious up in there.

From NMLC?

Yeah, I felt like I was in some sort of effing flipping paradise. The skeets weren't on sale there, but I did pick up one off the clearance rack, along with the Isaia tie (also clearance). The Rack was actually more like the land of milk and honey today in terms of Skeets. I need to check with my wife to see if she still has a Nordstrom's card, and whether I can be added to it. Saving another 10% would be a good thing...

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I felt like I was in some sort of effing flipping paradise. The skeets weren't on sale there, but I did pick up one off the clearance rack, along with the Isaia tie (also clearance). The Rack was actually more like the land of milk and honey today in terms of Skeets. I need to check with my wife to see if she still has a Nordstrom's card, and whether I can be added to it. Saving another 10% would be a good thing...

Hah! I felt the same way - swimming through seas of Incotex, doing the back stroke through bogs of Brioni, Etro for as far as the eye could see, all at ~ 1/2 off, plus an extra 30-50% off at the clearance racks. That was at NMLC, and sounds like your experience at The Rack where I never find any real deals. Both places also occasionally have stuff from Bergdorf's (same company), sometimes resulting in seriously sick deals. I aim to put NMLC and Saks Off Fifth into shopping rotation at least monthly.

Oshuns919

Reaction score
BBC L running fox jeans

Available

Polo Ralph Lauren Blue Label 40r Available

Cotton Cream Blazer
Double Vented

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From NMLC?

Never having been married, but having plenty of divorces all around me, that first sentence doesn't sound very promising...but if that is how it's turning out, well, naturally I wish you all the best.
As far as cost of rings & wedding, please do not go into debt to get married if you can at all help it. Last thing a new couple needs is a load of debt to start their new life together (because it will be both of your's debt after the I Do's). Hopefully you can eBay your way to a cash-paid wedding. If she's a bargain-hunter like you, maybe you can plant the seed of a Vegas wedding and throw a big party for friends and family when you get back, instead of an extravagant wedding. (OK that's my ideal wedding scenario...but it's not gonna happen so I'm hoping to live vicariously thru you).

Wait - it's November in a couple days and it just now turns out you're getting married before the end of the year?! Shotgun style?
HA! None of my first sentences that I've ever posted sounded promising...I guess I should have paid more attention to this "tone" and "word choice" thingy so many people spoke of during English class...Lol, allow me to rephrase, we are saving up for the honey moon and not the wedding. We are just going to have a court room wedding and a reception for a few hundo at a local venue. We don't like the idea of a Vegas wedding with a big party so people could have an excuse to get drunk at our expense. yeah...No thanks! However, we are going to have a big wedding reception, a bit on the formal side when we get to the old country and I think it's going to be paid by our family! I'm saving up mostly for the rings and our honey moon. We plan on spending about a few grand on our trip...Most importantly, this is not a shotgun wedding! lol Will keep you guys posted on the rings situation.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone tell me what the hell these are? Ridiculously heavy wool. Also, there's like a heavy aluminum foil or something similar sewn into the front thights, ending at around the mid-shin. It crinkles when it bends. I left the GW tag on for a reason. :\
Found a Brioni orphan awhile ago
I'm kind of lost when it comes to foreign military stuff, but those look either Swiss or German going by the name on the label. The "aluminum foil" you describe could be some sort of reinforcement for a high wear-prone area. Sorry I can't be much help on these. Also, pretty sure that Brioni is a sportcoat. You have PM on the Filson. :)

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Barrel
I wanted to save up for flathead or samurai
Need them 21
(And sell stuff to buy )
But good point a thick jean will be good soon!
True!!
And now I'm want Okayama spirits....
Jawns problem!!!!!

Nice poem man. So experimental.

Last edited:

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big shout out to 1ofTheCoolKids for sending me a sweet Number (n)ine bag and throwing in a BAPE camo sweatshirt for the hell of it. Stand up guy.

Congrats Barrel!

Also, I have a few relatively awesome bragworthy finds to post however rarely seem to make it home with enough energy to photograph them.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E-thrift brag with a story...

I had watched these Ben Silver buttons get listed, ended, relisted and so on, and kept watching them without a real idea why...something itched my brain about them tho:

Then last weekend I picked up this Chester Barrie cashmere blazer and it came together:

Dat dawg.

So, custom Ben Silver blazer buttons for Chester Barrie, cheap (under $15 shipped).

Nice.

GM-H

Reaction score
Big shout out to 1ofTheCoolKids for sending me a sweet Number (n)ine bag and throwing in a BAPE camo sweatshirt for the hell of it. Stand up guy.

Congrats Barrel!

Also, I have a few relatively awesome bragworthy finds to post however rarely seem to make it home with enough energy to photograph them.
Damn, I need to start doing deals with 1otck..... If you ever need a new home for that BAPE, HIT ME UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads