1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

holy thats expensive for a zzegna peice. IS it a suit atleast? i'd pass

1 person likes this.
  2. KamoteJoe

KamoteJoe Senior member

Yea it's a suit. Thought it was steep to so i passed.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

PASS - IMO if you thrift enough you will either a) find stuff that is nice, good condition and fits with some tailoring, or B) find stuff that is nice, good condition and that you can trade or sell to put money aside and buy what you really want.

2 people like this.
  4. speedball

speedball Active Member

26 J Press and BB ~3.5" ties. I'm keeping most of the JP regimentals and tartans and some of the BBs, but all the geometric, pattern, dots, paisleys and 346s are available. I also picked up a Brioni 42x16.5 shirt that I discovered a faint splash of coffee on that will be available should my cleaning effort be successful.
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  5. Kazoo

Kazoo Senior member

Thought I'd throw out my finds this week.
    Pendleton vintage. Would this be considered a black watch shacket?
    [​IMG]

left to right: Zanella flat front no piss stains!, Burberry's, RT Ancient Madder, Brioni, Nordstrom, Sulka
    [​IMG]

Is this the gren I'm looking for?
    [​IMG]

Is this also a gren?
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Yup, black watch plaid, and the model is the Topster if I remember correctly. I LOVE these things and if that happens to be a large I'd be interested in acquiring it from you.

2 people like this.
  7. mrilmi2317

mrilmi2317 New Member

Hey Guys,

I was just informed that I will be out of work in two weeks. So I will be in the job market and hopefully attending interviews for future employment. Unfortunately since I was in the food service industry for 6 years a lot of my "dressier clothes" are no longer wearable for an interview..... not that they ever really were lol. Since I live in Calgary, Canada the thrifting isn't as bountiful as the USA, I'm in the market for a navy suit 2 button single breasted, also shirt and that I can use for interviews. Please let me know if you have anything that you could part with that may fit me, please PM me pics and let me know your price and I will reply as soon as possible. Thank you, my measurements are below.

Regular suit size 42-44R
    Pants waist size 33-34
    Pants Length 30-32, 32 that I can hem to 31 is preferred
    Chest 43inches
    Neck size 16.5-17
    Shoe size 11.5-12

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  8. Kazoo

Kazoo Senior member

It's tagged XL, let me take measurements and I'll shoot you a PM

9. ccl88

ccl88 Well-Known Member

Orvis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

Cool orvis. Let's see medium in orvis is like xxl in real people size right?

Futuremyth gets great finds and always makes me laugh plus great dude. Congrats on that find.

1 person likes this.
  11. ccl88

ccl88 Well-Known Member

It actually fits pretty true to size surprisingly. Most orvis shirts I find that is not the case.

12. KamoteJoe

KamoteJoe Senior member

This suit felt really great, any idea of the maker? Can probably tailor it to my size.
    [​IMG]

13. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

Yeah well that's nice to hear. One of the reasons I never buy orvis is the sizing is oooo so goofy most of the time.

14. ArborVitae

ArborVitae Well-Known Member

Nope, just a silk knit
    Quote: YES

1 person likes this.
  15. suited

suited Senior member

Softest silk tie I've ever handled. Keeping.
    [​IMG]

Sulka
    [​IMG]

BB
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

KC Thrifters: If you happen to come across/have recently come across a couple of RLPL jackets, I got pants[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

PM INBOUND!

18. KamoteJoe

KamoteJoe Senior member

Jil Sander x Uniqlo (L). Available
    [​IMG]

Hartford (EU 52). Available
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty much brand new. My size =)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  19. 330CK

330CK Senior member

You know you're doing something right when your biggest competition pulls up as you're walking out of a store, skips that store, and literally races you to the next store. :lol:

14 people like this.
  20. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I'm sensing a pattern here, and this is a road (if I can just mix metaphors for a sec) I've been down myself (and almost everyone here, too, I'd imagine):

Pause. Breathe. You probably want to hold off a bit on all these *might be's* and *almost*s and *with a little tailoring*.

Pause. Breathe again. Check out Uniqlo's web site. For the forty bucks you would have spent on an old ripped Z Zegna, you could grab, during one of their many sales, a new, slim, modern, perfectly good blazer that fits and is returnable if it doesn't. Same with their oxfords and chambrays: $20 on sale, and they will look better than any almost-fitting *baller* shirt from the thrift. (They will certainly fit better).

Take another breath. Pause. Reflect. Realize the internet is vast, the finds posted here are unlikely, you won't grab a cartfull every time out.

When you grab something, think: "Could I sell this to someone else? Would they go apeshit over it and do a little dance? Why or why not..." Apply these same rules to yourself. ("Am I to go apeshit over this piece?". Probably not....).

Psychology is not in your favor. Just by driving to the store, being in the store, having read the illustrious thrift thread, the very act of looking for something: these all skew your judgment. It has helped me to imagine I already have a basket of Kiton floating above my cart's squeaky wheels. I've already found so much amazement! Will this next thing push it over the edge? (If yes, grab it. If not, put the ten bucks back in your pocket. That's one half of a Uniqlo shirt right there; this all ads up; don't piss it away!)

When buying for yourself, don't just buy for the label inside. No one can see it, and if they could, they wouldn't know or care. Learn to recognize the quality pieces, or just what wows you or looks objectively good on you in the mirror.

Pause. Breathe. Consult Spoo or Brianpore or the Nataku-- they're all very friendly. Rage at futuremyth, at his plentiful cups that runneth all the way fucking over -- but don't empty your pockets in a rage. The stuff you see is not as good.

Except that one time a month when it is.

Then you buy. Then you photograph. Point. Cheer. Yell. Profit.

*Hurray!*

15 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.