• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larson McCord

Reaction score

Goodwill in Minnetonka, Minnesota is greedy and overpriced!!!

It's weird, 90% of zanellas I find are piss stained! it's like the people buying them have issues and/or never wear underwear

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I got a box of vintage stuff for consignment from another member on Tuesday. Mostly outer-wear and jackets. I don't have any room in my office closet so I set up my rolling clothes rack in the basement and hung them up on there. Right next to the rack on top of a stack of boxes is an old telephone (40's rotary) I picked up a number of years ago and have been meaning to get it re-wired so I can plug it into a modern phone jack. Well, my wife was in the kitchen which is directly above the spot in the basement where I had the phone and the rack of clothes. I was in the garage un-clogging the leaves my lawn vacuum and she comes out looking scared and with obvious concern in her voice. She asks me to come into the kitchen and then asks if I hear that. I listen and hear the distinct ringing of an old telephone right below us through the heat vent in the floor. It was very loud too. I grew up with a phone like this so I can tell this from say, clanking in the ducts or something. No, this was that phone. Not plugged in or anything. Can't even be plugged in with the old-style 4 prong jack anyway. Freaked me out. I was scared to go down there but I wanted to get photos and descriptions done TODAY. Finished and then folded them up, put them in a big box and brought them to my brother's house for storage until the auctions end and it's time to ship. :lookaround:

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Note to self: don't bid on any postman uniforms on the 'bay for the next little while.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We moved into our new place in May. Been perfectly fine with nothing out of the ordinary until yesterday, the day I hung the clothes up. :uhoh:

Got a really eerie feeling when I went down there to get them. Took the clothes (all vintage stuff. Very old post office uniform jacket, old hunting jackets and a college football jacket) to my brothers place a few hours ago. Went down there a little bit ago to get some packing materials and feels normal again.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nat didnt you have another paranormal incident not too long ago? 2 years ago?

I think I might have posted about it a couple years ago when we were talking about a death box or something somebody had found, but my experience was around 6-7 years ago.When I was still working at the Salvation Army I brought home a box of records and a folder with a birth certificate, photos, quarantine notice, etc was stuffed inside. Glanced through them and didn't think much of it. Some very strange and creepy stuff started happening after that until I ditched the stuff at a local antique mall. After that nothing strange has happened until last night. Gave me the chills for sure.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We moved into our new place in May. Been perfectly fine with nothing out of the ordinary until yesterday, the day I hung the clothes up. :uhoh:

Got a really eerie feeling when I went down there to get them. Took the clothes (all vintage stuff. Very old post office uniform jacket, old hunting jackets and a college football jacket) to my brothers place a few hours ago. Went down there a little bit ago to get some packing materials and feels normal again.

Damn it to hell. I was hoping they were another members items until I read this. Please dont send anything back if they dont sell. :embar: Also I am glad that I dont have a house phone

Evil Abed

Reaction score
1st annual thrift thread bonfire/exorcism anyone?
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
devil.gif
tinfoil.gif

Though seriously, I totally remember how creeped out I was after your story about that box Nat... Now this.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That store is ridiculous. Employees are paid to read men's magazines and brush up on all the brands. They know everything from Loro Piana to Isaia. Even catching onto the smaller obscure labels and they can tell quality. Most employees will treat you worse if you're a regular.
cloud.gif

I would have actually be scared to buy that if I saw the blood stains.

So I got a box of vintage stuff for consignment from another member on Tuesday. Mostly outer-wear and jackets. I don't have any room in my office closet so I set up my rolling clothes rack in the basement and hung them up on there. Right next to the rack on top of a stack of boxes is an old telephone (40's rotary) I picked up a number of years ago and have been meaning to get it re-wired so I can plug it into a modern phone jack. Well, my wife was in the kitchen which is directly above the spot in the basement where I had the phone and the rack of clothes. I was in the garage un-clogging the leaves my lawn vacuum and she comes out looking scared and with obvious concern in her voice. She asks me to come into the kitchen and then asks if I hear that. I listen and hear the distinct ringing of an old telephone right below us through the heat vent in the floor. It was very loud too. I grew up with a phone like this so I can tell this from say, clanking in the ducts or something. No, this was that phone. Not plugged in or anything. Can't even be plugged in with the old-style 4 prong jack anyway. Freaked me out. I was scared to go down there but I wanted to get photos and descriptions done TODAY. Finished and then folded them up, put them in a big box and brought them to my brother's house for storage until the auctions end and it's time to ship.
lookaround.gif
That's why we love our super duper obscure SWnD pieces!

Regarding the creepy stuff...Not sure if real but...
cold[1].gif

Evil Abed

Reaction score
If it was, it'd probably say so somewhere on the belt... What's imprinted on the inside?

Last edited:

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrifted gifted to us by our relatives! We've never owned any full dinning sets before! Super stoked! Who is coming over for dinner?
biggrin.gif

I am, how is tomorrow is that good for you? Your fiance wouldn't be a little creeped out some dude you met on the internet invited himself over?
lookaround.gif
You live near SF right? I have 11 hours to kill tomorrow after a meeting. Catching the Red Eye back to Boston. (I am kidding about coming over, I am traveling with my boss so we are gonna walk around down town for the afternoon).

EDIT: Holy crap I re-read what I posted and would like to apologize to Ian for a wise crack I made about his stream of consciousness method of posting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads