• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the shout and the nice segue to my next question. Would you guy pick up shells if the leather has started to crack? Any reasonable way to repair? I found another pair of shell saddle shoes in the same store that appear to Alden 994s with slight cracking at the creases. Same size as the other 3 I found so I guessing they must have been sitting in the back for the 2 weeks b/c I'm there nearly every day. Hope they keep coming!

Cracked leather on the upper cannot be repaired, so far as I know. Best to let those noble beasts die the way Nature intended.

brianG

Reaction score
There's a trademark symbol on the red tab, which wouldn't be there if it were an original Type 1. Still a rad jacket. And people tend to buy/collect LVC.

I'm pretty sure that's the LVC reissue. Got additional pics of the tags?

Thanks for the help you guys. I really appreciate it. My gut told me LVC, especially because I found this in NYC, which isn't exactly a denim jacket heaven. Does the 555 stamp indicate something about the factory? What ultimately threw me off though was the size, and the fact that it's tagged as a size 44, rather than LVC's usual small/med/large/xl.

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help you guys. I really appreciate it. My gut told me LVC, especially because I found this in NYC, which isn't exactly a denim jacket heaven. Does the 555 stamp indicate something about the factory? What ultimately threw me off though was the size, and the fact that it's tagged as a size 44, rather than LVC's usual small/med/large/xl.

555 stamped buttons refer to being made at the factory on Valencia Street. That stuff, from my experience, is pretty damn collectable.

Good luck!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...This one goes to MJMcRibb for a great trade on...
Spoo Special (aka Alden shell full strap)
Oh wait. 10.5 or 11D? Well, in that case...

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I managed to pick up one of these Levis Made & Crafted sack coats in my size today for $30. I also found a brand new with tags Tom Ford dress shirt in size 39 chest 15.5" neck but it was too small for me and they wanted $125 so I passed on that one.

951socal2012

Reaction score
I know the general consensus about

Giorgio armani
le collezoni

is to pass on it since we assumed it was sold at macy's and not at saks/neiman/bergdof

but i found this NWT Armani le collezoni, with a neiman marcus tag still attached to the label
flat front, unhemmed pant (just finished on the bottom awaiting tailoring)

were we wrong about this brand?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Legend has it, it was the address to their SF factory on Valencia St. Reissues tend to have 555.

I managed to pick up one of these Levis Made & Crafted sack coats in my size today for $30. I also found a brand new with tags Tom Ford dress shirt in size 39 chest 15.5" neck but it was too small for me and they wanted $125 so I passed on that one.

In yellow?
satisfied.gif

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

found this...

Adding Monsters to Thrift Store Paintings

'The trick is to match the paint originally used (e.g., acrylic or oil)
and try to blend the monsters into the original scene as if they were always there.'

MORE: http://twistedsifter.com/2012/04/adding-monsters-to-thrift-store-paintings/

This questionable art was on my mind today. I think that's why I honed in on what is probably a questionable song. (Though Gene Austin was responsible for writing When My Sugar Walks Down the Street).

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know the general consensus about Giorgio armani le collezoni is to pass on it since we assumed it was sold at macy's and not at saks/neiman/bergdof but i found this NWT Armani le collezoni, with a neiman marcus tag still attached to the label flat front, unhemmed pant (just finished on the bottom awaiting tailoring) were we wrong about this brand?
Good for self It's old and people into ga would know but I would pickup Black label 1 Le col is like their older person brand under ga black Ea is the hip one but now often made china India turkey Ax is express with a price tag

Last edited:

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In yellow? :satisfied:

Its more of an orange color like this one.

I really like it a lot. Its a nice color and its very lightweight so it will make for a great layer in the spring/summer. The days have been quite warm here in Toronto lately too so it will get a bit of use before winter hits.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nat, as a self confessed grammar bug, I'd like to suggest that you make the following changes in your ebay disclaimer.

As used, "you and I" should be "you and me".
"incase" should be two words.
yours instead of your's.

Feel free to ignore me in case this is just a marketing tool to make ebay marks spend more money! satisfied.gif

** Note: On any item or order with an ending price of over $150, I ship with Signature Confirmation. This is to protect both 1. you and I 2. incase of package theft. If nobody is at home at the time of delivery to sign, you can go pick it up at your local post office. Signature Confirmation is added at my cost, not 3. your's. All International shipments over $100 require Priority Mail w/ insurance of the true value.**

:laugh:

Thanks, Dig! I'm usually the Grammar Police - feels pretty odd to have the roles switched! Haha. I did make note of the errors and will make the above corrections in my future listings. :cheers:

found this...

Adding Monsters to Thrift Store Paintings

'The trick is to match the paint originally used (e.g., acrylic or oil)
and try to blend the monsters into the original scene as if they were always there.'

MORE: http://twistedsifter.com/2012/04/adding-monsters-to-thrift-store-paintings/

Very cool! Also, I'd have no problems at all hanging that painting in my man-cave. :D

As for me I had a decent morning. Found the nicest ties I think I've found all year. With that being said, ties have really not been popping out of the walls like they were 4-5 years ago where I'd find Hermes and Talbott 7-Folds every few weeks. Still, this gives me a silver of hope.

Brioni paisley and Zegna are N/A for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads