The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Senior member

Gentlemen - The hilarious pricing has come to my neck of the woods. $15 for a used Tommy Bahama shirt. (I think I may have swore out loud) $8 for a used Chaps shirt. then I got a black silk bowtie from Neiman Marcus (very vintage logo) for $1.50 [​IMG]

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

It's all about a 38R / 40R - 20-21" P2P, 25" sleeves, 30" BOC length, 30 x 34 pants. There's some variation from that though. I'm a 38L - the structured cut means it's fine around the chest and jacket waist, but the sleeves are a little short, the inseam quite short, and the waist on the trousers too full.

Those that have enough to let down on the trousers I'll do so. Those that are too short will end up on the SC. The stuff I left behind was also nuts (albiet in varying condition) - lots of lightweight Italian stuff, 4 pairs of white bespoke Row-made button-flypants, more three piece suits, a hand-canvassed Harrods MTM double breasted blazer...

Basically if I can find the time I'll head back tomorrow and pick through what's left. The kicker is the sales lady said the donor offered to bring more in. Imagine - maybe overcoats next time. I'll leave her my cellphone number!

Wow, those look insane! Too bad they're 2-3 sizes too small for me. [​IMG]

If they're cheap enough, pick the rest up to sell on B/S. I'm sure guys in that size will go nuts over these!

3. mainy

mainy Senior member

It's all about a 38R / 40R - 20-21" P2P, 25" sleeves, 30" BOC length, 30 x 34 pants. There's some variation from that though. I'm a 38L - the structured cut means it's fine around the chest and jacket waist, but the sleeves are a little short, the inseam quite short, and the waist on the trousers too full.

Those that have enough to let down on the trousers I'll do so. Those that are too short will end up on the SC. The stuff I left behind was also nuts (albiet in varying condition) - lots of lightweight Italian stuff, 4 pairs of white bespoke Row-made button-flypants, more three piece suits, a hand-canvassed Harrods MTM double breasted blazer...

Basically if I can find the time I'll head back tomorrow and pick through what's left. The kicker is the sales lady said the donor offered to bring more in. Imagine - maybe overcoats next time. I'll leave her my cellphone number!

Assuming A. it's not all outrageously priced, B. is in good condition, and C. isn't dated, just buy it all. Seriously. People will buy stuff in that size, I would just go and pick up anything that looks wearable. Also, it's always worth trying to negotiate a better price when you're dropping major money at one store.

4. mystillwater

mystillwater Senior member

they're my size.... i'm not sure if i need anymore suits though. i've been leaning towards going slimmer with my suits and i doubt they're tailored slim, right?

5. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

I can't compete with guys finding mountains of custom suits but I had a good day. A vintage pair of cordovan wingtips (see the can you help ID this shoe thread please) that MAY be shell but I'm not able to tell. $18

Also found a cool Zegna tie and a Polo purple (color not label) as well as my 2nd Samuelsohn jacket this week. The 2 Samuelsohn's were from 2 different franchises in different towns. What are the odds? Also found a couple of pocket squares one they gave me with the jacket the other was .99 with the ties. I've never worn a pocket square but I may give it a whirl and see if I can pull it off.

6. le.gentleman

le.gentleman Senior member

Wow Simon - that looks great! I hope you can go there again and buy the rest of it - it seems to be absolutely worth it.
    What city do you live in?

A few shots of what I've got downstairs - the rest is upstairs and I don't want to disturb the baby. The only problem is I now have to work out where I'm going to store all of this - I was running out of space already!

Nicely hand-felled lining...

[​IMG]

...and hand-sewn buttonholes...

[​IMG]

...and a nice long buttoniere:

[​IMG]

How's this for a great fabric, but who has the rest of the suit? Lovely hand-sewn buttonholes too!

[​IMG]

Time for some Italian?

[​IMG]

With another neat buttoniere...

[​IMG]

...and a couple of buttonholes...

[​IMG]

...not so clear, but a hand-sewn quarter lining, with little retaining tabs:

[​IMG]

Only a little buttoniere on this one, with small lapels too:

[​IMG]

Familiar hand-felled lining too:

[​IMG]

Anybody heard of these guys? ;-)

[​IMG]

Look at the length of that - I think this was made by Chester Barrie:

[​IMG]

On to some tweed:

[​IMG]

You want button fly? You got button fly!

[​IMG]

7. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

That is a major find, a grail item for some. I found one which is a bit small for me but I have kept it in hope of losing a little weight.

Was interested in this as I don't know a lot about the brand. Saw a 44 Norman Hilton blazer the other day that caught my eye because of the quality. I'll go back and look for it if anyone's interested?

Glad to see all the great finds. I'm working in my hometown this summer and the thrifting absolutely blows compared to where I go to school. I was so pissed the other day when I found a brand new Hickey Freeman suit jacket with no pants. 120's LoroPiana in a beautiful navy pinstripe. Looked in the women's pants to no avail[​IMG]

8. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Guys, how exactly does thriftiness work by location? That is, is it possible to get good deals in non-city areas? For instance, I live in south New Jersey, and most of my local thrift stores carry total shit. I wonder if I'd need to drive all the way up to NY to find anything good.

9. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

Finally found a pair of vintage Florsheim imperial shell wingtips in my size! They are a little bulky though.

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^You can sometimes find things in less urban/suburban locations, but to have consistently good thrifting you have to have good retail to support it.

11. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guys, how exactly does thriftiness work by location? That is, is it possible to get good deals in non-city areas? For instance, I live in south New Jersey, and most of my local thrift stores carry total shit. I wonder if I'd need to drive all the way up to NY to find anything good.

Follow the rich people.

12. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Too bad he's more expensive than when the item was new but on clearance.

Some of the thrift stores don't seem to understand this concept. I've been talking to a few of them, explaining that often the MSRP on a tag is never charged. Sure, that tie might have a tag attached that says $95, but how long did it sell for that(if ever)?

13. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

Been a while since I found anything worth actually bragging about. But here goes.

Isaia suit, too big for me. Haven't done any measurements but I eyeball it at maybe a 40-42R. Will be selling this eventually, although I've been dragging my heels on selling (the few) suits I pick up partially because I'm not sure how best to accurately measure them. I would hate to misrepresent an item I'm selling. No great photography here, but some quick pics I took.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also found an Ike Behar SC that as luck would have it, fits me perfectly. 65% silk, 35% wool. So lovely to just find something that looks and feels awesome and actually fits me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At one shop I was at today they were trying to selling some ugly brown Mephisto shoes for $50. Good luck.

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

A Euro 54R should be about US 42-44R. PM sent if you're looking to unload it.

15. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

A few shots of what I've got downstairs - the rest is upstairs and I don't want to disturb the baby. The only problem is I now have to work out where I'm going to store all of this - I was running out of space already!

I think the mega-cheap unworn Lobbs and Nataku's church rummage sale Brioni-gasm have been knocked from their spots as the 1-2 greatest thrift finds of all time.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm curious if any what you didn't pick up was left today: I'm sure the flippers who lurk here have been pulling their hair out trying to figure out where your store is.

A Euro 54R should be about US 42-44R. PM sent if you're looking to unload it.

[​IMG] Do you ever sleep!

CasmiRadon - don't sell to him: he re-sells the stuff overseas and funnels the proceeds to Al Qaeda ! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.