The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

nice! your size? i'd found a khaki sb a while back (not in my size) and eneded up selling it. i'd love to find one in my size one of these days.

today i found a gray glen plaid Fendi 2-Button suit. looked really nice although it was probably a 44R... was about to buy it until i found the piss stains. gross. [​IMG]

I've had good luck with raincoats- I have a Black SB raincoat and a tan trench that I found in my size. Both in good condition with the zip out linings.

2. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J&M Made in Italy. Fit perfect, but it may take me a little while to be comfortable wearing these. [​IMG]

Anyone have some 10.5 Chocolate suede's they'd like to trade for these?

*please forgive the brand name on the trees, they were 10 bucks at the outlet. [​IMG]

3. illeagle

illeagle Senior member

4. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

[​IMG]

As long as those are actual gator/croc and not just a print I'd consider that a major score. I would get the leather near the laces dyed darker to match the rest of the shoe but otherwise I don't see anything wrong with them.

5. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Luckily they're very real. I agree about the leather near the laces. I'm not sure why they did that. The uppers are in phenomenal condition though, especially considering how much wear is on the soles. Still I'm happy for the 6 bucks I paid. [​IMG]

6. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

I think those are neat in the contrast they have. Gator is so over the top that IMO you need something like that for the hippies to look at while they throw paint.

7. buddy72

buddy72 Well-Known Member

Well this is my first post! I found this thread then spend a few hours reading the whole thing over a few days. I learned a lot about what brand names to look for. Here are some shoes I got last week from an estate sale. They are Foot-Joy and included custom-fitted shoe trees, and even the original box. They are 12A which is not my size so I will put them on B&S when I am eligible. From thrift stores, 2 pairs of Allen Edmonds Maxfields. One is 10.5D and looks almost new. The other is 11.5C and has a little sole wear, but uppers still look new. Question - I noticed the Attachment button and uploaded 3 photos with this posting, but I don't see how to specify where I want them mixed into the text. I guess I will have to post this and see where they display. Edit-Okay, now I see they display as attached thumbnails. How do people get them to display inline, and at certain points within the text?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Usually people will upload their images to imageshack and then post the image link in the body of the post between [​IMG] (the little yellow mountain button in the reply tools).

See http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=1937 on how to use imageshack.

Also, the shoes in the picture with the Footjoy box look like Allen Edmonds...

9. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Well I'm still hyperventilating. I picked up my daughter this afternoon to look after her whilst my wife went out, and walked home via a few shops. The first half-dozen yielded nothing, and then I popped into one I don't visit very often - partly because nothing is priced, and they assess how wealthy they think you look at the checkout. I once had to pay $25 for three slightly motheaten ties.

The first thing I picked up was a bespoke, unlined Italian linen suit with patch pockets. In need of a dry clean, but nice nonetheless. Then a MTM Turnbull & Asser birdseye suit, clearly from the same donor. Finally, a bespoke PoW waistcoat with a red overcheck (no suit, I think someone beat me to it).

As I went toward the till, the lady told me it had all come in that afternoon - she pointed me to another rail near the window, but asked me if I wanted to look out the back.

There, piled high, were a couple of dozen suits and jackets, all from the same vendor. Mostly bespoke, with some high-end MTM. There was some very old Italian bespoke in there, when the vendor was clearly slimmer than me, all the way through to some fairly recent Row-quality stuff (no labels in it) that was too big. Bearing in mind my baby daughter was waiting for me, I rapidly selected the following;

- Cream / brown bespoke houndstooth sportcoat (needs a clean, one or two pulls)
    - PoW with blue overcheck bespoke SB suit (needs a clean, wear on the pocket edges, but too good to pass up)
    - Light brown bespoke SB three-piece
    - Turnbull & Asser MTM blue velvet sportcoat (amazing cloth)
    - Grey w/ cream pinstripe SB suit
    - Dark blue chalkstripe flannel Barneys MTM
    - Herringbone tweed bespoke three-piece
    - Brown herringbone worsted bespoke three-piece
    - Grey brisa two-piece SB
    - Brown hopsack tweed three-piece SB

I spent over $500 in total, and it turns out some of the suits may not have enough to let down on the trousers so keep an eye on the SC. Still, I left behind twice as much as I purchased...!

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^ That sounds like one hell of a score!! [​IMG] Pics??? Also, what was the approx. size of the stuff?

11. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

^^^ That sounds like one hell of a score!! [​IMG] Pics??? Also, what was the approx. size of the stuff?

+ 1 [​IMG]

12. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

It's all about a 38R / 40R - 20-21" P2P, 25" sleeves, 30" BOC length, 30 x 34 pants. There's some variation from that though. I'm a 38L - the structured cut means it's fine around the chest and jacket waist, but the sleeves are a little short, the inseam quite short, and the waist on the trousers too full.

Those that have enough to let down on the trousers I'll do so. Those that are too short will end up on the SC. The stuff I left behind was also nuts (albiet in varying condition) - lots of lightweight Italian stuff, 4 pairs of white bespoke Row-made button-flypants, more three piece suits, a hand-canvassed Harrods MTM double breasted blazer...

Basically if I can find the time I'll head back tomorrow and pick through what's left. The kicker is the sales lady said the donor offered to bring more in. Imagine - maybe overcoats next time. I'll leave her my cellphone number!

13. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

A few shots of what I've got downstairs - the rest is upstairs and I don't want to disturb the baby. The only problem is I now have to work out where I'm going to store all of this - I was running out of space already!

Nicely hand-felled lining...

[​IMG]

...and hand-sewn buttonholes...

[​IMG]

...and a nice long buttoniere:

[​IMG]

How's this for a great fabric, but who has the rest of the suit? Lovely hand-sewn buttonholes too!

[​IMG]

Time for some Italian?

[​IMG]

With another neat buttoniere...

[​IMG]

...and a couple of buttonholes...

[​IMG]

...not so clear, but a hand-sewn quarter lining, with little retaining tabs:

[​IMG]

Only a little buttoniere on this one, with small lapels too:

[​IMG]

Familiar hand-felled lining too:

[​IMG]

Anybody heard of these guys? ;-)

[​IMG]

Look at the length of that - I think this was made by Chester Barrie:

[​IMG]

On to some tweed:

[​IMG]

You want button fly? You got button fly!

[​IMG]

14. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Found a Burberry Trench today($2.50!). It is a bit big, but I think it will fit with some tailoring.
    I might put it up for sale though.

15. buddy72

buddy72 Well-Known Member

Usually people will upload their images to imageshack and then post the image link in the body of the post between [​IMG] (the little yellow mountain button in the reply tools).

See http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=1937 on how to use imageshack.

Also, the shoes in the picture with the Footjoy box look like Allen Edmonds...

Thanks for the info! I'll try it soon.

The shoes are definitely Foot-Joy. They have "Foot-Joy" embossed into the leather insole, and the rubber heels have embossed "FJ" in them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.