• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...Oh yeah, almost forgot. Anyone need me to proxy tomorrow morning?

Too late, they're already gone! I scoured the store the next morning. To those who pm'd me, :( Sorry, guys.

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today.

Canali wool/cashmere
Charvet I think; tags were missing when I bought it.
Brooks, wool/cashmere
Square unknown
Trafalgar
Orvis
Panthy
WOLVERINE!
Seriously solid look!

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
enjoy the Dolphins
does not compute
E-thrifted 22 flat caps for 40 bucks. Only info was made in u.k.
Barbour, Lock
n/a? :fu: if theres anything xl or 7.5 in there and that "n/a" changes to "a" lemme know. :)
+1!
All those caps remind me of this book
The_500_hats_of_bartholomew_cubbins.jpg
Inaugural run for these shell Wolvies.
Those are awesome!^^^^^
+1. Totes jelly.

Last edited:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for you.

Is all Rive Gauche worth a pick up, or is the good rive gauche and meh rive gauche?
I saw a shirt yesterday and didn't grab it because it didn't seem all that special to me. I wouldn't feel like messing with ebay myself, but if it is worthwhile, then I could pick it up to use as trading material next time I'm trying to trade with someone who does do ebay. (Or if someone here wanted it.)

Sorry, no pics. That was the moment when I realized I'd left my ipod on a shelf somewhere in the library.:embar:

PointDexter2014

Reaction score
I get the message. But why is it that others can post messages that are not related to this forum. And I am persecuted because I simply offered this item because I felt someone my need a pair of shoes trees. But I will remove this posting because of your condensinding attitude. Apparently, since I am new I am not allowed to deviate from topics. Or post items like PRL, BB, and other items that are not truly grail. But are acceptable for others.

By the way, I became a member of this site back in 2005 or 2006. A short time after it started. However, I took sometime away from the site. Earlier this year when tried use my old account information I realized that I had lost the login information in my move to a new home. The email account I established my id was through a packaged service that I used to have with Verizon FIOS. So, I had to start over.

I only state this because I've been away from the site for a few years. And much has changed. I am just learning and understanding how things work now.

And I am not angry or made. In fact this is a learning moment for me.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I get the message. But why is it that others can post messages that are not related to this forum. And I am persecuted because I simply offered this item because I felt someone my need a pair of shoes trees. But I will remove this posting because of your condensinding attitude. Apparently, since I am new I am not allowed to deviate from topics. Or post items like PRL, BB, and other items that are not truly grail. But are acceptable for others.

I am not angry or made.

It's perfectly fine to post pics of them and say "these don't work for me, if anyone wants them..." No one should have a problem with that.

The rest should be left to PM's. I mean, dude, you even spelled out what forms of payment you accept.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, just stop. It's fine to offer something up, but keep it simple and subtle ("available if anyone wants it"...not a catalog-style writeup) and related to the thread (ie, a brag-worthy thrift/discount find).

And I am persecuted.... But I will remove this posting because of your condensinding attitude.

No—remove it because it doesn't belong here. Calling people condescending for calling you out for a repeat offense, especially after several people already explained the issue to you before, won't win you any friends.

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not angry or made.

I think the issue is that you keep posting things here for sale. I'm new as well, so maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but the impression I get is that this thread is for thrift finds, and, maybe, trading thrift finds, but you should never offer to sell anything in this thread. There are other threads specifically for that purpose. This is my guess, PD. And I've been reprimanded for asking questions that I thought were pretty close to being on topic as well.

** I may be out of line with I say that you "keep posting things here for sale". I don't know that you've done it more than once, but I do know that the internet, and particularly forums are unforgiving mistresses.

Last edited:

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Threads more of a community. When I see someone here like Cap or Brian post in the ebay thread, I think "Hey it's cap/Brian from the thrift thread". I'm quite new too and I struggled with finding the right way to post and right content to post but I'm slowly getting into the grove of things. Threads been educational as **** on what to pick up, and such. Talking about selling, noting availability, etc are small things. Your write-ups are basically ebay posts in the thread itself, which heavily deviates from the threads spirit. I get my questions or posts ignored often, but a bump here or there isn't a big deal. People usually don't check the forum every minute/hour so they'll miss a few pages and skim.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, capnwes and adaminaustin (no offense to you) are two things I think are wrong with this thread - lurkers who insist on finding thrifted things and turning them into thousands-and-thousands percent return. Sure, we all like the occasional suit we get for 15 bucks and sell for 250 or 300; but that's the super-rare event for most of us. Trying to force that to happen with random thrifted vintage BB and old YSL is one of the things I hate most about Ebay.

Also, does it rub anyone else super the wrong way to just post pictures and then an ebay auction link? He even used his auction titles as the link text... to be honest I'm wondering if this qualifies as out-and-out spam?

yea... if you wanna post pics of an item and tell the story behind it that's cool but posting links to auction is for the ebay thread. put a link to the ebay stuff in the signature and people will see it regardless... or if they are interested in the item they are going to PM you about it anyway I don't think we need auction postings in this thread.

+1 to your whole post, especially about the the whole eBay auction and outrageous BIN prices.

I'll plus everyone else because I was thinkng the same thing. Plus isn't the selling/eBay thread still alive?

WGP, why are you lumping this guy in with the spammer? Do...not...agree.
fight[1].gif

P.S. I would love to see before and after pictures. From superfuture (I'm guessing head to-toe-ninja?) to family man must be quite a shift!

Thanks for the tip, I am new and appreciate the feedback, sorry if I offended anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads