The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

It's a modern Stetson, should be decent quality, but not the Stetson of old. The size is rather small, so you'll unlikely be able to sell it for a lot (the larger the size the more they bring, generally). If it fits you, then it's a great find. If not, you should be able to flip it, especially in its 'as new' condition.

If you look under the sweatband you may find a tag that gives you the model name. It's possibly a current model.

3. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

It looks brand new. Great find.

Thanks, my first fedora buy.

It's a modern Stetson, should be decent quality, but not the Stetson of old. The size is rather small, so you'll unlikely be able to sell it for a lot (the larger the size the more they bring, generally). If it fits you, then it's a great find. If not, you should be able to flip it, especially in its 'as new' condition.

If you look under the sweatband you may find a tag that gives you the model name. It's possibly a current model.

Thanks for the information! Way too small for me, this will have to go the B&S/eBay route. I checked under the sweatband, no style name but you can tell where a tag once was.

On another note, I found a swell handmade DB brown/black/orange POW, tip top shape, probably a 40R/S, Italian transplant tailor. There was a second DB in sping superfine wool check but unfortunately it had stains and showed many signs of wear...

4. seanpatrickb

seanpatrickb Senior member

Apparently Banana Republic had a line of Thomas Mason slim fit shirts, because I found one today. A really nice shirt, french cuffs semi spread, but it pulls in the chest, so I don't know if I will be keeping it. Was not aware this line existed, anyone know how old it might be or familiar with it?

5. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Have you ever had one of those thrifting moments when you are like: "OMG! OMG! I can't believe I found something of this high value!" And then do a little Googling and have your hopes dashed?
    I found a Strativarius violin dated 1714 today. Only to find out it is a copy made in Germany, still from the 1700's. [​IMG] There went my hopes of retiring tomorrow.

Here is a link to the violin photos, also a vintage AE u-throat burgundy, 8.5, and vintage Mason Chippewa Falls wing tips. I think they are shell.

http://img10.imageshack.us/g/......79.jpg/

On a happier note, I found a Tom James suit with working sleeve button holes, fully lined, in my size and a pattern I've been admiring for a while.
    I also found (in my size) a NWT Yves St. Laurent black 3 button 2 vent suit coat. Made in Italy. Even the vents are still sown shut. Now I gotta find pants in a matching black. Interesting how many shades of black there are!

The Masons do look like shell.. nice find. Too bad about the violin.

6. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

I have yet to encounter a stain that the vinegar/Oxyclean process has been unable to remove.

Where can I find this process? I have a Canali shirt with an ink stain below the pocket. I've tried hairspray, and Oxyclean and it made it a little bit lighter but it's still there.

7. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Found my first Samuelsohn jacket today; cool brown/rust with a light blue windowpane through it. Also a Hart/Marx trumpeter tweed plaid winter sport coat, practically brand new. Then a pair of Allen Edmonds brown cap toe Fifth Avenues....in my size! I had been looking for those shoes cheap for a while. total spend $18

By the way, I found a Brioni suit, in my size but it was a strange olive color and 2 NH 1888 ties (Nick Hilton). The suit was $13 the ties $3 each. Should I have gotten them?

If the Brioni was at all recent, and in good shape, I would grab it. If nothing else at least you would have something for trading. As for ties, I would only buy them if they are something you like. If you buy every good tie you see, you'll quickly end up with 500, and you can't really sell them for a decent amount unless they are really recent, really sought after, or NWT.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Thanks, my first fedora buy.

Thanks for the information! Way too small for me, this will have to go the B&S/eBay route. I checked under the sweatband, no style name but you can tell where a tag once was.

On another note, I found a swell handmade DB brown/black/orange POW, tip top shape, probably a 40R/S, Italian transplant tailor. There was a second DB in sping superfine wool check but unfortunately it had stains and showed many signs of wear...

Yeah, it's modern. 90's at least, could be newer. Crapshoot on quality- the past few years the felt has been pretty good, but for a while before that it was pretty much crap (think 80's, 90's).

And Alan is right about size. Smaller ones don't sell for a whole lot since there's a glut of them on the vintage market, and with our fast food bloated bodies, not a whole lot of buyers for what used to be a fairly average size.

I would offer to buy it from you, but I already have one in that color with those dimensions. If you do go the B&S route though, might be worth it to go ahead and register over at the fedora lounge and use the B&S there, you would probably be able to bring in a higher price.

BTW, retail on one of those is around $150 or so these days. You should be able to get around $50, perhaps a little more with the right buyer.

9. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

I'm interested in the Battistoni. PM sent!

I've come across a few things from W&G every now and then. As BBC said, any Willis & Geiger item that's made in the USA of Bush Poplin is worth grabbing. There is quite the demand for them.

I've most definitely had this scenario happen to me on many occasions. I did play in an orchestra for awhile so the repro Strats wouldn't fool me! I'd second Cptjeff and grab it if it was indeed made in the 18th century and could be had at a reasonable price.

Definitely should have grabbed the Brioni. What size was it? If it's a 42-44R or L, I may be interested.

It was a 46, it's about an hour away so by the time I make it back that way it will probably be gone. Oh well.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Aah, too big for me anyhow.
    Where can I find this process? I have a Canali shirt with an ink stain below the pocket. I've tried hairspray, and Oxyclean and it made it a little bit lighter but it's still there.
    http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...21&postcount=2
    Haha, J, I'll type it up for ya: Step 1: Soak shirt in a solution made from one gallon hot water (as hot as it will come out of the faucet) and one cup of vinegar. Let the shirt soak for 30 mins to 2 hours. Step 2: Rinse shirts, and squeeze out excess water. Empty bucket and rinse. In a cup, prepare a concentrated Oxy-Clean solution. Make sure to use the Oxy-Clean granules that come in the tub. Make the solution about 10 parts HOT water to one part O-C. Usually this amounts to two scoops of O-C (using the provided scoop) per 4-6 ounces of water. You want this to be very concentrated. Step 3: Apply the strong solution generously to the stained areas. Place the shirts in a bucket (so that the solution doesn't flow away, or dry) with the stained areas towards the bottom of the bucket so they stay nice and covered in the solution. Allow to soak overnight. It can also help to use an old toothbrush and scrub the stained areas every hour or so, if you've got the time. Step 4: In the morning, remove the shirts from bucket. Fill the bucket with a gallon of hot water, and two scoops of the Oxy-Clean (basically, follow the recipe on the package for a general cleaning solution) and mix well. Place the shirts in the bucket, and soak for 2-24 hours. This just helps to remove any trace of stain. You might want to stir the shirts around with your hands after you put them in the bucket with the weaker solution just to remove some of the stronger solution that is still on the shirts. Step 5: Remove, and wash/rinse in the regular cycle on your washing machine. Note: I find that this normally removes sweat/dirt stains from the armpit, neck, and cuff with ease. For really strong stains, you might have to repeat the process a few times. However, with this, I've been able to remove some major sweat stains that have been set into shirts for five years, at least.

11. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

No pics because I left it all at work, but I scored a vintage Anderson & Sheppard SB suit in a heavyweight (~14oz) birdseye fabric, and a bunch of somewhat slim silk foulard ties.

I've no idea why, but I keep seeing A-Man Hing Cheong suits right now - five in the past month!

12. ermo

ermo Member

Hey guys. I have been thrifting for a while, today was ok:

Gap 1969 Jeans $5
    Bachrach Tie $2
    JW Nordstrom Shirt (really nice fabric) $5
    Bachrach shirt $4
    Ike Behar shirt $5
    Johnston & Murphy USA made wingtips, uppers are geat soles are ok. $9

I only buy what fits me, no flipping or anything. If I get anything worth it I'll post a pic.

I dont know if its been done, but I would like to see a competition for best outfit, all thrifted items.

13. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Hey guys. I have been thrifting for a while, today was ok: Gap 1969 Jeans $5 Bachrach Tie $2 JW Nordstrom Shirt (really nice fabric) $5 Bachrach shirt $4 Ike Behar shirt $5 Johnston & Murphy USA made wingtips, uppers are geat soles are ok. $9 I only buy what fits me, no flipping or anything. If I get anything worth it I'll post a pic. I dont know if its been done, but I would like to see a competition for best outfit, all thrifted items.
    We have had a best of, but perhaps we could put together a montage of the cream of the crop? over the years I have thrifted some outrageously amazing things. What I have kept though is the very very best. The best I have currently is a never worn 100% cashmere Kiton suit that needs to be altered in the shoulders to fit me in the arms, and have the jacket slightly shortened. I should get that done!

14. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

I dont know if its been done, but I would like to see a competition for best outfit, all thrifted items.[/quote]

I was thinking of proposing a competition for the ugliest thrift store tie, no stains or rips, just ugly pattern.

15. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Senior member

I was thinking of proposing a competition for the ugliest thrift store tie, no stains or rips, just ugly pattern.

Provocative idea, but entries would surely run into the thousands

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.