• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Measurements:
    • Bust/Chest: 47"
    • Waist: 43"
    • Hips: 45"
    • Sleeve: 18"
    • Total Length: 34"
    • Measurement Across the Back: 18"
    • uhoh.gif

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first, but I think it was a decent pass at $23.
Jetted pockets, no vent.

BUUUUT

And I also passed up a recent-ish Schott A-2 in excellent condition for $25. That one was probably a mistake.

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Measurements:
    • Bust/Chest: 47"
    • Waist: 43"
    • Hips: 45"
    • Sleeve: 18"
    • Total Length: 34"
    • Measurement Across the Back: 18"
    • uhoh.gif

I've bought stuff off of her before. Terrible at measurements but with 152,000 active listings you get that... so you kind of need to go with your gut. A recent Kiton with 18" shoulders wont be 34" long, she might be measuring from top of the collar?

Last edited:

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought stuff off of her before. Terrible at measurements but with 152,000 active listings you get that... so you kind of need to go with your gut. A recent Kiton with 18" shoulders wont be 34" long, she might be measuring from top of the collar?

And I would assume they got 18" sleeves by measuring from the armpit, not the shoulder. The rest of the measurements are anyone's guess.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And I would assume they got 18" sleeves by measuring from the armpit, not the shoulder. The rest of the measurements are anyone's guess.
Unless someone buys them we'll never know but just by eyeballing it you can tell it's not 18" from top of shoulder.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a pretty successful morning. So irritated that I'm not a S/M or a 30 waist. The stuff was priced a little higher than regular thrift prices but still a steal. Had to pass on some nice stuff because I was short on bread and didn't know if anyone here would for sure want them. Passed on Gucci slim fit shirts in cool plaid patterns, a couple super nice hand made dress shirts by Mazzarelli and W+H, KMW and NSF selvedge denim in 30-31x32 but all had fades going already. The one that made me really sad was a pair of Grown & Sewn 5 pocket khakis. Such a little-known maker it has no re-sale value but I've been pondering over buying a pair at retail. After seeing a pair in person and the cool details they have I will pull the trigger eventually. A well-dressed fellow also grabbed some stuff that I hadn't seen yet (about 5 shirts and a few ties) and I later recognized him as a local eBay men's clothing seller.

Anyway, here's my finds. Don't worry, I didn't leave any Cucinelli, Isaia or Fray behind. All the stuff is mint. All from one guy - he was smaller. 15-15 1/2 neck w/ 34 sleeves and a 31-32 waist. Everything is available.

Also, sorry about the pictures being rotated every which way. They are all rotated correctly on my computer. Can't figure out why upload on here sideways and one even upside-down. :puzzled:

Fray & Isaia

Cucinelli x 2 (M)

Woolrich Woolen Mills (M)

Awesome shirt from Johnbull. Made in Japan.

Michael Bastian

EG and Apolis shorts. So angry the Apolis are too small for me. Such a cool label.

and I popped a cherry today. :slayer:

Last edited:

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing brag worthy. picked up a really heavy, dark grey herringbone BB Brooksease suit. Recent. no signs of wear.

They also had (have) a BB Golden Fleece Jacket Orphan in a 120s Loro Piana in a dark grey, size 42r (my size.).

After looking through the pants, I find the BB Loro Piana slacks back in the rack. I've spent an hour trying to find the matching slacks around 3 weeks ago, even going thru all the women's wear. And here they were. when I get the pants to the coat, I note the slacks are size 32, and the coat tag clearly says 42r 36.
baldy[1].gif

What are the odds of two matching orphans of the same maker, same fabric, in the same goodwill? Dunno, but for me today, 100%.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick Brag
Found these NWT on my trip to NY. Did a little digging and discovered that they were from the inaugural season of Black Fleece. I consulted Spoo on pricing but even he didn't have a good idea of where to set it so until I made up my mind I set them at what I assumed was a wildly unrealistic $345. Pretty quick it had 6 watchers and just got a BIN offer of $300 and took it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190903521499&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$118 import charges. Thanks, eBay.

Nice sell on those pants!

Dolfan954

Reaction score
I am. But we're well past the 'keep fighting' stage of things. We're talking a year+ of constant job searching, have applied to every single listed position (coupled with dozens of open apps, hopeful applications to places with no stuff no, interviews via contacts, etc) that I'm even arguably qualified for in the state be it government, judicial clerkship, firm, or corporation. And nothing. Waiting to hear following a callback for a position I'd actually like so that's nice. But yeah, we're past the encouragement stage.

Anyways, big ups to catside! Tipped me to this gorgeous suit, exactly a pattern/color I was looking for and fits great (just need to take the sleeves and waist in a touch)! Is this Caruso for BB? Catside thought it was but I can't find any real info (only bit I can really find is that Caruso makes the BBBF stuff). This thread, this thread, and this thread reached no real conclusions. Regardless, looks and feels great, yay catside!

Left a couple fun ties I liked (Rooster cotton blackwatch and a no-name stripe I was fond of) because of bad wear in the knot area. Also, I very much remember this being discussed in thread but I don't remember the outcome. What's the deal with this, Royal seal'ed Van Heusen? Although 'twas my size I left it as it was an odd tone of blue and had plastic buttons.

Every interview I did were for jobs that hadn't made it to the "posted" stage. They had a need and saw my information before even doing a formal listing. The best part about that is you aren't really competing against anyone yet. Did you try emailing attorneys in the firms you would want to work for even for not listed jobs? The worst that happens is you get ignored.PM me and we can strategize together. I would love to help if I can. I didn't realize you had been trying for an entire year with no results. Your career development office helpful at all?

Had a pretty successful morning. So irritated that I'm not a S/M or a 30 waist. The stuff was priced a little higher than regular thrift prices but still a steal. Had to pass on some nice stuff because I was short on bread and didn't know if anyone here would for sure want them. Passed on Gucci slim fit shirts in cool plaid patterns, a couple super nice hand made dress shirts by Mazzarelli and W+H, KMW and NSF selvedge denim in 30-31x32 but all had fades going already. The one that made me really sad was a pair of Grown & Sewn 5 pocket khakis. Such a little-known maker it has no re-sale value but I've been pondering over buying a pair at retail. After seeing a pair in person and the cool details they have I will pull the trigger eventually. A well-dressed fellow also grabbed some stuff that I hadn't seen yet (about 5 shirts and a few ties) and I later recognized him as a local eBay men's clothing seller.

Anyway, here's my finds. Don't worry, I didn't leave any Cucinelli, Isaia or Fray behind. All the stuff is mint. All from one guy - he was smaller. 15-15 1/2 neck w/ 34 sleeves and a 31-32 waist. Everything is available.

Also, sorry about the pictures being rotated every which way. They are all rotated correctly on my computer. Can't figure out why upload on here sideways and one even upside-down.
puzzled.gif

Fray & Isaia

Cucinelli x 2 (M)

Woolrich Woolen Mills (M)

Awesome shirt from Johnbull. Made in Japan.

Michael Bastian

EG and Apolis shorts. So angry the Apolis are too small for me. Such a cool label.

and I popped a cherry today.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

WOW Nat. Awesome Haul! Everything there is incredible.

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the guys with JD's looking for jobs. Check banks/ financial insitutions for compliance jobs. My wife went that route and she makes more money that most of the people she went to law school with.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I passed on a [what I believe was] dated but still cool looking Oxxford cream and blue houndstooth cashmere SC yesterday because it had some serious issues around the (center) vent and lining. Any thoughts on that? Would anyone be interested in something like it? My worry was that the tearing in the lining would be too much to overlook, but it might be something that a tailor could fix right up. I'm just not sure. Pattern looked a lot like this:

Also I've got an available pair of gently used Park Avenue's in 11.5AA if that fits anyone. If not I'll put them on the 'Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads