• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got those as my Rx sunglasses - would be lost without 'em. Always Ray-Ban. Still have 5 or 6 pairs of old Rx original Ray-Ban tortoise stuffed in a drawer, so I can gauge how bad my eyes have gotten over the years... Oh - nice ink!
Thanks buddy! It's really hard to find sunglasses that work with my facial structure but old wayfarers and the new ones fit me like a charm!!! I think I'm a Rayban fanboy! Since I've lot 30 lbs. so they fit me even better now!!! I can't wait to rock my LVC wool coat along with my 1967 501's, some boots, and my Raybans! I'll be a walking LVC advertisement!!!
bounce2.gif

Just got her home. She's a little shaky, but she will be fine in a week or two.
When she's feeling better, can we get pics?!
lurker[1].gif

ScottW

Reaction score
[insert Nataku call sign here]

Is this LLB Signature?

Nope. I would say late 90s. correct me if i am wrong

I didn't know there was a LL Bean Signature, but concur with that jacket being possibly mid-late 1990s. I have a fleece jacket that's pretty similar to that one, maybe a bit more blue-ish in color, with identical tags and embroidered logo, given to me in '96 or '97.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually thought that LL Bean looked recent. The mid 90's stuff still had the sewn on tag IIRC.

DeadBoy

Reaction score

First thrift fit post. Be brutal, I can handle it. Haha.

Suit: HSM (thrifted)
Shirt: Local MTM
Shoes: Cole Haan (Nordstrom Rack)
Belt: Gap (thrifted)
Square: Izod linen (thrifted)
Tie: J. Crew Factory sale
Lapel Flower: cut it off a little girl's ponytail band I found in the toy section at a thrift.
Girlfriend: not thrifted.

Nice outfit. Can't give much feedback in terms of fit because of the pose and girl leaning on you, although I will say you could probably stand to have the pants hemmed and tapered a tad (although whether you want to do that for an HSM suit is your call). Shirt collar does seem a bit short, but again maybe that's because your arm is stretched out.

Colours look good... I'm assuming it's a charcoal suit? Brown shoes look fine there either way. I will agree with the herd though and say the combination of pocket square, tie bar and lapel flower is a bit much. I'd go with just one (probably a PS), but given how popular all that stuff is right now, you'd be fine with two. If you absolutely must have accessories, maybe cufflinks?

Found my Rayban New Wayfarers P in a pile of clothes! I was super stoked! Been looking for these forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thumbed mostly for the beard, but partly for everything else too. Don't take this the wrong way, but do you drift?

edwardthefirst

Reaction score
A couple of things I picked up on Sunday while thrifting in LA:
Awesome C&J for Carroll&Co suede captoes, 7.5 available.

Isaia sport coat, 42 R-S available, and the tie on the mannequin is an awesome recent Canali I picked up down there too.

Were there any sharp dressed SF'ers hitting the thrifts Sunday afternoon down in LA? Club collar with a collar bar, horse bit loafers?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very slow start to the day. My local thrift somehow knows what Loro Piana is. Passed on a really cool striped wool blend S/S polo shirt in my size. They wanted $30. The day did pick up though towards the end.

6 recent Hugo Boss suits w/ the Nordstrom hangers. $6 each.

Zegna 100% cashmere car coat.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I actually thought that LL Bean looked recent. The mid 90's stuff still had the sewn on tag IIRC.

It's throwing me off because it's mint condition, but made in USA. The fabric is Polartec Windbloc.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks buddy! It's really hard to find sunglasses that work with my facial structure but old wayfarers and the new ones fit me like a charm!!! I think I'm a Rayban fanboy! Since I've lot 30 lbs. so they fit me even better now!!! I can't wait to rock my LVC wool coat along with my 1967 501's, some boots, and my Raybans! I'll be a walking LVC advertisement!!! :bounce2:

I was bummed when all they had was the New Wayfarer last time I got glasses, but I've grown to like the slightly smaller frame size and it's a better look all around these days. Lookin sharp my man - congrats on the weight loss! Hard work paid off.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, yeah. Thrift fit. Nearly all of this came in awesome trades or hookups from other thread members.
Richard James Borrelli Kiton Trafalgar Panthy TBNY
That windowpane suit.... :drool:
Cameras out on loan so only got crappy phone pics, sorry.
Any Borrelli tailored piece is a grail find. Congrats!
[/IMG] A motherload of turnbull and asser, 9 to be exact all white. Stock special, available for now. All NWOT
:slayer:
Puppy update. She wags.
:slayer: :slayer:
[insert Nataku call sign here] Is this LLB Signature?
Nope. See the script on the chest embroidery? You want that on the label. As others stated, the script is also found on their older labels as well (late 50's-ish to the mid 70's-ish) which are nice grabs as well. The Signature label is pretty new (maybe 3-4 years old) and you'd need to be near a trendy area to find the stuff. As others stated that piece is likely from the 90's. Still nice but little resale value.

Last edited:

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice outfit. Can't give much feedback in terms of fit because of the pose and girl leaning on you, although I will say you could probably stand to have the pants hemmed and tapered a tad (although whether you want to do that for an HSM suit is your call). Shirt collar does seem a bit short, but again maybe that's because your arm is stretched out.

Colours look good... I'm assuming it's a charcoal suit? Brown shoes look fine there either way. I will agree with the herd though and say the combination of pocket square, tie bar and lapel flower is a bit much. I'd go with just one (probably a PS), but given how popular all that stuff is right now, you'd be fine with two. If you absolutely must have accessories, maybe cufflinks?

I thumbed mostly for the beard, but partly for everything else too. Don't take this the wrong way, but do you drift?

Last edited:

evolutionofRW

Reaction score

Taking our dog to Baltimore right now to have her eye removed and replaced with a prosthetic. Would appreciate some prayer for my wife who is on the verge of a meltdown.

Sending prayers and good vibes your way Wes! I wish the best to you and your family..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads