• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcmcklwht

Reaction score
This is apparently what happens when you spend $400 at thrifts on Friday morning, head out to play golf with your 3 best friends at 11AM, get hammered by Noon, and black out by 4PM.

I'm in the blue shirt.....and I have no recollection of this ever happening.

Such a cool pic, I want to hear more about this day!

Maybe bad timing with this post, good luck with your dog

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Taking our dog to Baltimore right now to have her eye removed and replaced with a prosthetic. Would appreciate some prayer for my wife who is on the verge of a meltdown.

Good luck my man! I'm sure everything will be alright, and your pup will be happy not to have a busted eye anymore. :nodding:

Also, huge shout out to dolfan954 for hooking me up with some seriously sick vintage hunting boots. I've never seen a pair quite like these before. They have a really neat double lacing system so you can lace the liner separately from the outer part of the boot. Really cool.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking our dog to Baltimore right now to have her eye removed and replaced with a prosthetic. Would appreciate some prayer for my wife who is on the verge of a meltdown.

So sorry! Wishing you all good luck.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Id say that was a good day. :nodding:
USE SPOILERS.
Glad you got a chance to get out, but speaking of my haul...here are the pieces I picked up for me Centofanti bespoke suits - chalk stripe navy and grey
LL
Surgeon cuffs Hand stitching ...and the selvedge of the cloth in the pockets!
Wow! Those are amazing.
Bummer, man. I prayed for her.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, huge shout out to dolfan954 for hooking me up with some seriously sick vintage hunting boots. I've never seen a pair quite like these before. They have a really neat double lacing system so you can lace the liner separately from the outer part of the boot. Really cool.

Pics?

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Such a cool pic, I want to hear more about this day!

Maybe bad timing with this post, good luck with your dog

Good luck my man! I'm sure everything will be alright, and your pup will be happy not to have a busted eye anymore.
nod[1].gif

So sorry! Wishing you all good luck.

USE SPOILERS.
Wow! Those are amazing.
Bummer, man. I prayed for her.

Best wishes buddy!

Thanks my thrifting brothers. Just this second, as I was hitting the multiquote buttons, got the email from my wife. Mia is out of surgery and it went well. She is still asleep, but we may be taking her home tonight instead of tomorrow night. Ughh, I am not ready to fight that traffic twice in one day. City people are nuts to do that everyday.

stevenkmason

Reaction score

First thrift fit post. Be brutal, I can handle it. Haha.

Suit: HSM (thrifted)
Shirt: Local MTM
Shoes: Cole Haan (Nordstrom Rack)
Belt: Gap (thrifted)
Square: Izod linen (thrifted)
Tie: J. Crew Factory sale
Lapel Flower: cut it off a little girl's ponytail band I found in the toy section at a thrift.
Girlfriend: not thrifted.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks my thrifting brothers. Just this second, as I was hitting the multiquote buttons, got the email from my wife. Mia is out of surgery and it went well. She is still asleep, but we may be taking her home tonight instead of tomorrow night. Ughh, I am not ready to fight that traffic twice in one day. City people are nuts to do that everyday.

Glad to hear she's doing better.

MarkThomas

Reaction score

Suit: HSM (thrifted)
Shirt: Local MTM
Shoes: Cole Haan (Nordstrom Rack)
Belt: Gap (thrifted)
Square: Izod linen (thrifted)
Tie: J. Crew Factory sale
Lapel Flower: cut it off a little girl's ponytail band I found in the toy section at a thrift.
Girlfriend: not thrifted.

It's close, but the waist on the jacket looks a bit tight and the pants are too long. Also, what color is the suit? Black? Charcoal? If so, shoes should be black. If it's navy then you're ok. Some folks around here might also take issue with all the "extras" (lapel flower, tie clip etc). At a certain point those things can make an ensemble look too busy.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just thrifted my first Borrelli Napoli blazer. The content tag says 80% cam, 15% li, 5% si. Am I right in assuming that's cashmere linen silk?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recent Zegna linen pants.
Do. Want. Must. Resist.
Done. Find some joy today, wherever you can.
I'll echo what MarkThomas said, but start with: This isn't all that bad for a first post. There have certainly been many worse. At the very least, featuring the non-thrifted girlfriend will win you many points. The SF wisdom is that black suits are for funerals only. While we're on the SF viewpoint, the knot should be a four-in-hand and the collar should be longer. Not a wider spread, the actual collar lapels should be long enough to go and stay under your jacket lapels. From my perspective, I enjoy the odd single windsor. But when the tie is this skinny, the knot and blade get out of balance, so I probably would have gone four in hand or double four in hand to fill up that wide collar space. I also don't go much for flowers or tie bars, but many use them to great effect. Tie bars should not be directly horizontal and generally avoid tie bar plus PS plus lapel pin -- it all makes the chest look cluttered. Especially if you're going to use a PS fold that's so ambitious. It's hard to discern the fit from the size, distance and stance in the photo, but I fear your lapels collar may be gapping around your collar. This is a separate phenomenon from your collar points showing, which has to do with the length of your collar. Instead, gapping has to do with the cut of the jacket and lapels -- first, they must fit, but second, they must be beefy enough to sit and rest on your collar. Look at ANY Spoo picture if you want to see this done well. Charcoal and black suits generally get black shoes, though a brown shoe in or incorporating a darker hue can be used with charcoal (think cordovan, oxblood or antiqued walnut with darkened toe box) The fit itself is also fairly monochromatic: Dark suit, white shirt, solid gray tie. If I wanted to keep it solid, I probably would have gone navy or brown tie, just to add some color. But I probably also would have put at least one pattern into something -- the shirt, the tie, etc. That's just my perspective, and I'm far from an expert yet. Keep having fun!
EDIT: Oh, yeah. Thrift fit. Nearly all of this came in awesome trades or hookups from other thread members.
Richard James Borrelli Kiton Trafalgar Panthy TBNY

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads