• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinasity

Reaction score
It was very tough but I passed on these beauties lol
1e8808b2.jpg

How about these, lot of Astor & Black custom made dress shirts
eab375fa.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is it the only custom shirts I ever seem to stumble across have at least a 18 inch neck?

Okay, perhaps a little exaggeration, but why can't I ever find a 14.5 or 14.75?

justinsmnz

Reaction score
Gonna head out tomorrow. I'm praying for a decent pair of suede wingtips. (or any decent suedes)

I've been searching the internet for a great pair sub-$100 and haven't had a bit of luck besides Lands end.

Wish me luck, haha.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
Agreed. Funny how brand alone will turn a tie from gorgeous to hideous.

Originally Posted by vincerich
I agree. A lot of people are idiots in that way. I read a thread earlier that asked users to rate the fit and style of a suit. Rather than commenting on the identified issues, one said idiot replied with, "Brand?" and left it at that.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Brand has a lot to do with whether something is a good find. The purchaser of the tie was asking for "thoughts/feedback" and "good find?" A fine handmade Attolini tie is a vastly superior find to some stained old rooster tie. Brand is particularly important for issues of quality. Around here, when people are interested in the brand, it's usually because they're interested in the quality. Brand won't always be determinative regarding quality of course, but most often it will. Learning what brands to look for while thrifting, for example, is half the battle. The other half of course, is learning the signs of quality construction.

As for finds, today was "miscellaneous day":

1) NWT Le Creuset Dutch Oven - $25
2) NWT Thermos Thermax Insulated Water Bottle - $5
3) NWT Sigg Travel Water Bottle
4) ADC Sound Shaper 300 SL Equalizer and Audio Analyzer - $15 - fully functional
5) Brioni tie - mint - $3

Larson McCord

Reaction score
I hit several stores today, I have had no luck in the past on ties but reading of the success here I spent a little more time in that area.....wow...

Giorgio Armani
3 Talbott best of class
A Nick Hilton
a Brioni
A Kiton! first of any kind from that maker

all in mint condition. Then I go over to the coats and find a mint Brooks Brother overcoat in my size no tags but the replacement buttons still in the pocket. Beautiful olive/taupe type color.

Another Brooks Brothers suit, Brooksease which won't thrill anyone here but I've been needing a new solid charcoal and it's exactly my size, no alterations needed.

Also, what is the secret to finding trousers? They dump them all together and it's tough to find good stuff among all the Cherokee/Hagger/Croft and Barrow stuff. And what is Andhurst? I think that maker, Dean's Gate and Cricketeer have made a billion suits based on thrift shop visits.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hoofit
While the tassel loafer may not be for everyone, I find them to classic. The shell that Crockett Jones uses is very nice and quite distinctive.

Anyone have any idea where I could get a new tassel to replace the one missing?

Fantastic find. Wipe with damp cloth, buff, buff, buff with horse hair brush, buff with cotton cloth.

I would contact Polo and/or C&J and tell them you have a pair of the loafers and have a missing tassel. No need to tell them where you got them. I'm sure missing tassels happens all along.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw two Lorenzini formal shirts today, passed as I dont wear tuxedo's any more.

justinsmnz

Reaction score
Nothing spectacular today, just a few mediocre pairs of pants for my internship in a few weeks. However I did pick up this gem for a whole 99 cents (tax included). Hart Schaffner & Marx Silver Trumpeter. Perfect fit too.

Hoofit

Reaction score
I would contact Polo and/or C&J and tell them you have a pair of the loafers and have a missing tassel. No need to tell them where you got them. I'm sure missing tassels happens all along.[/quote]

I did just this. They asked for the line numbers in the shoe and are going to send a tassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads