• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't bother...the stores here will go out of business in one week once I stop shopping.
lol8[1].gif

Hey guys. Loooong time lurker here. I'll do an intro post later cuz I'm gonna be posting regularly. I'm in the field now and had a question about a couple ties? Are they real/worth a buy? The gucci is priced at $8 and the Hermes is .99 cents. If they're worth anything I'd trade them here or give them to one of the consigners.

EDIT: just found another Gucci

The Gucci ties look pretty consistent with the old ass ones I've found. Not exactly sure if they are consistently real or consistently fake...I guess that kinda helps...

But for 99 cents why not take a chance? You want to see if there's a small loop of thread hanging down when you spread the fabric at the tip.

+1
I wanna see the math dm7 behind the scenes I bet it is similar to game theory stuff
Bro, were you referring to Gametrailers' Game Theory? That's a pretty cool show.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are they real/worth a buy?

Pretty sure the hermes is a fake...

+1 Hermes looks fake. :-/

But for 99 cents why not take a chance? You want to see if there's a small loop of thread hanging down when you spread the fabric at the tip.

It's real.

Not sure why this thread has so much trouble ID'ing Hermes ties. The fakes are usually very obvious (no accent mark, price embroidered on the tie). Also, I've handled real Hermes ties where the thread loop isn't showing—I wouldn't let that detail be the deciding factor.

Last edited:

div25sec9

Reaction score

Thanks man, you rock. It's definitely real fur. 99% sure it's badger. 

It could be dog. I'm not being racist; I found a jacket that had a fur collar; tag said dog! ...not uncommon to use it there.

Thrifted concert right now. Won tix on the radio for Teagan & Sara and Fun! in Berkeley!

A great band from just down the highway from us (Calgary).

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It could be dog. I'm not being racist; I found a jacket that had a fur collar; tag said dog! ...not uncommon to use it there.
Hmmm. Uh oh...Not sure the market will be huge for a Dog fur. If it was, I wouldn't be spending all this time checking outgoing garments for loose dog hairs. So happy shedding season is over again...I think she is too.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Uh oh...Not sure the market will be huge for a Dog fur. If it was, I wouldn't be spending all this time checking outgoing garments for loose dog hairs. So happy shedding season is over again...I think she is too.

The defurminator rocks, I have a lab cattledog mix I used this on and wound up getting an entire grocery bag full the first time using it. It looked like he lost 15 pounds. I did it again today and barely got a handful, so I think you are right shedding season is almost done. Now they start growing that undercoat for next year.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The defurminator rocks, I have a lab cattledog mix I used this on and wound up getting an entire grocery bag full the first time using it. It looked like he lost 15 pounds. I did it again today and barely got a handful, so I think you are right shedding season is almost done. Now they start growing that undercoat for next year.

She sheds hers twice a year. We have one of those defurminators too. The best ever.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know this shoe label. It's made by Nettleton and seems to be steel toe. Worth picking up?

stevenkmason

Reaction score
It's real.

Not sure why this thread has so much trouble ID'ing Hermes ties. The fakes are usually very obvious (no accent mark, price embroidered on the tie). Also, I've handled real Hermes ties where the thread loop isn't showing—I wouldn't let that detail be the deciding factor.

Ended up passing on all 3. Gucci's weren't super wearable for $11 and I'm not real into flipping. I would have worn the Hermes, but everyone was saying fake. Shrug. Thanks everyone for their opinions.

Well everyone, I'm done lurking. Here to post and stay.
biggrin.gif

I'm Steven. I'm in Michigan. I thrift mostly for myself and a couple friends. Just don't have time and energy to flip. Plus, Michigan isn't exactly a hotbed of flippable designer goods.

I'm a giant, so finding clothes is always tough. When you see huge stuff and wonder, "Who the hell wears this?", it's me. I'm a 44/46 XL in suits. 38x36 in pants. 17x40/41 slim in shirts. I'm 6'8" and 265 pounds. Shoes are 15, 16 or 17.

If anyone ever comes across giant stuff, I'll take it! Almost always!

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ended up passing on all 3. Gucci's weren't super wearable for $11 and I'm not real into flipping. I would have worn the Hermes, but everyone was saying fake. Shrug. Thanks everyone for their opinions.

Well everyone, I'm done lurking. Here to post and stay.
biggrin.gif

I'm Steven. I'm in Michigan. I thrift mostly for myself and a couple friends. Just don't have time and energy to flip. Plus, Michigan isn't exactly a hotbed of flippable designer goods.

I'm a giant, so finding clothes is always tough. When you see huge stuff and wonder, "Who the hell wears this?", it's me. I'm a 44/46 XL in suits. 38x36 in pants. 17x40/41 slim in shirts. I'm 6'8" and 265 pounds. Shoes are 15, 16 or 17.

had some size 15 vans in a store a while back I can go checkout
It is a comfort knowing there are people taller than me

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wanna see the math. Dm7 behind the scenes? I bet it is similar to game theory.

I wanna see the math, dm7. Behind the scenes, I bet it is similar to game theory.

I wanna see the math: Dm7 behind the scenes. I bet it is similar to game theory.

I wanna see the math. Dm7. Behind the scenes, I bet. It is similar to game theory .

~

I wanna see the math. Dm7 behind the scenes...

I bet it is similar to game theory.

Last edited:

div25sec9

Reaction score

Well everyone, I'm done lurking. Here to post and stay. :D

From your avatar, it appears that you are telling the truth. That girl is maybe half your height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads