• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hucklecat

Reaction score
A different thrift fit than you trads out there.

Kahala aloha shirt, Prana shorts and Sanuk sandals...

My kind of look on summer weekends for sure! Those Kahala's are my favorite pickup, most I have found are like yours. Good geometric patterns, Polynesian feel without the over the top typical Hawaiian shirt.

dz-015

Reaction score
OK Folks. Today I decided to channel my inner "Wes" and buy some tweed.

This should also serve as a Trad Alert.

Vintage HSM Wool Herringbone Overcoat - Very Heavy. I'm guessing a 48L.

And from the same owner, an HSM Houndstooth, quarter-lined sports coat. I'm guessing around a 46L

An then there was this Polo University Club.

abclegodd

Reaction score
good info, I may be operating under a wishful delusion that it can be altered to look right.thanks
24.gif

Last edited:

dz-015

Reaction score
I picked up a Euro size 56 Belvest for Damiani 2-button sport coat (at least, I think it's a sport coat - it has gold-trimmed black onyx-like buttons). Should I have left it, or is it at least good for a trade?

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious how many people frequent consignment stores, I have thought about going to one in a town nearby that has a large section of men's clothes according to their website photos. Just not sure if it is a time waster or not, can you get any decent deals at them? Also my wife is helping tomorrow at a flea market, I can't imagine there would be much to interest clothing aficionados there though. My kids want to check it out so I guess I will find out.

ScottW

Reaction score
WOW- that thing is awesome. Is that a little metal tag at the tip?
Dang this thread moves fast. Thanks and yes, regarding the olympics tie, it's a little brass charm. Six-pointed ornament thingy with "alpi" in the center. Alpi Arseda is the maker, from West Germany. The tag on the back says the tie is made of "dralon" which according to the interwebs is a type of acrylic. For being synthetic, it still looks pretty darn silk-like to my eye and doesn't feel too cheap in the hand either.

ScottW

Reaction score
Curious how many people frequent consignment stores, I have thought about going to one in a town nearby that has a large section of men's clothes according to their website photos. Just not sure if it is a time waster or not, can you get any decent deals at them?

Totally depends on the store. Around me there's one that's only slightly higher priced than thrift stores. I've picked a handful of items there, but it has nowhere near the volume of stuff coming through so I only hit it about 1/3 of the times that I pass by it. Then there's another consignment where I saw a decent used Brioni suit, albeit with a price tag of "$250, goes for $2,000 on ebay!" Same shop also has a basement full of not-special household crap that they think is worth real money. It's also staffed by old women, one of whom followed me around as though she thought I was up to something, all the while failing miserably in her effort to look like she wasn't following me. So yeah, depends on the store. If they advertise a large selection of menswear I'd definitely go at least to scope it out and look for reasonably priced stuff in my size. Just don't be shocked if the prices are wildly optimistic and don't leave much meat on the bone for flipping.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kind of look on summer weekends for sure! Those Kahala's are my favorite pickup, most I have found are like yours. Good geometric patterns, Polynesian feel without the over the top typical Hawaiian shirt.

This was actually the first Kahala shirt I've found that I really like. The fabric is cotton lawn, which feels about the same as the fabric of Tori Richard's shirts. Hands down though, Reyn Spooner's Spooner Cloth is the best Hawaiian shirt material. Those are a bit harder to find in thrifts, but I do have a couple.

I should have added that the shirt was thrifted last week. The shorts and sandals came from a used gear sale at REI.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats!!
That is indeed the good stuff. If it had a hood, it would be grail status for sure. As you may know, many of these down jackets never came with a hood to begin with. The hoods were sold separately (usually $10-$12 retail in the 70's), so that jacket may have never had one. Due to the fact that they were sold separately and also removable, they are very scarce and a jacket with the optional hood included is a grail find.

Class 5 is a great company. They started up out of Berkeley in the early 70's and went under in the early 80's. That label is their first label design (My personal favorite. What a cool design!). In 1978-ish, they changed over to a label that featured a large rose and the slogan "The Standard of the World".

That particular jacket is called the "down sweater". Note the shorter hem and the curved, side entrance patch pockets. The larger, longer version was their down parka/jacket and the pockets had snap-shut flaps in addition to side entrance hand-warmer pockets.

If that jacket is an L, I'm interested. I have the exact same jacket in burnt orange. Sadly mine is well worn and nearing the end of it's life (very dirty, numerous patches, etc).

Nice score on the Gant too!
I'd pass. I see these all the time. Nothing really special unless they are mint. Judging from those photos the boots are from when Sorel was still made in Canada by Kaufman (the K leaf logo), so likely prior to 1988 or so. Nice stuff. Those look to be in nice shape but as others stated, even in the winter they max out at about $50-$60. Retail is only about $120-$150.

They were (still are?) built like tanks, so they last a long time. Mine are olive green and are the Premium model. Purchased new in 1983. Today they still hold up great. The wool liners are original too.

Damn the knowledge base is mindblowing! Thanks for sharing, it's really fun to read this stuff.
Crocodile, but not sure why the sizing is so different. I wear a 9.5 in tennis shoes and a 10 in most boots, but I haven't heard about a two and half size difference.
Thanks, the rippling on the toes was extreme, I was looking for an equivalent croc to make sure. As for the sizing, I'm just not sure.

Dang this thread moves fast. Thanks and yes, regarding the olympics tie, it's a little brass charm. Six-pointed ornament thingy with "alpi" in the center. Alpi Arseda is the maker, from West Germany. The tag on the back says the tie is made of "dralon" which according to the interwebs is a type of acrylic. For being synthetic, it still looks pretty darn silk-like to my eye and doesn't feel too cheap in the hand either.
It sure does. That tie is serious ****, and the '72 Olympics in Munich, found in a thrift in 2013. For pure rarity this probably beats out 95% of what's on this thread. It doesn't have the same marketability or wide appeal, so everyone is not going apeshit, but seriously, that's cool.

My turn.

My first BBBF. The fit is so baller, it's great to have my first find fit like a glove, not great financially, but um, I have more hangers, so I must need more clothes, right?

Sweet Florsheim Imperials, heavy as boat anchors.

New AE's

Almost new AE chukkas

Some really nice Ballys that fit like a glove.

Can you guess which pic I shot at the kitchen table"?

shirtsnmor

Reaction score
I think I've hit my ceiling. I'll probably never enjoy the spoils of an Eddievddr10 or Spoo who wipe there asses with Canali's and Zegna's and only get a chub at the sight of NWT Kitons, Brioni's or an Anderson & Sheppard.

First time at Savers today after being a loyal GW thrifter and come up to literally the last suit on the rack and I see this X.

I get excited, but not too excited, thinking it's a new Jos A. Bank or Joseph Abboud which was all the rack consisted of. I turn it around open it up and see this:

Yes!

It's really a beautiful suit and the best thing, it fits even though its not a long. It has pleated pants that are a little roomy in the leg but I'm going to see what a tailor can do. From the label above the content tag, it looks like it's made by Saint Andrews. Am I correct?

Also came across this Paul Smith Westbourne. I thought it was an orphan so I tore up the store looking for the pants with no luck. Then I looked at the jacket again and saw it had a throat latch which got my hopes up that it might be a sports coat. What do you guys think?

Found this Versace tie. Real?

And lastly this cool spread collar Richard James Savile Row with MOP buttons

Thanks to everyone for all their great posts. This thread is like getting an AA in classic menswear.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the other 1%... hoooo boy.

Dry spell continues, so I'll post a thrift/discount fit. Pretty much the shape of thrifting for me at present.

Blazer - Robert Geller, B&S
Shirt - Club Monaco, thrift
Jeans - APC, discount
Boots - Alden, someone here can't remember who sorry!
That's a bang'n fit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads