1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TM79

TM79 Senior member

They're rude. Screw 'em. Now, you probably shouldn't say that but you can absolutely think it. I think you deserve the amount of respect you give someone, and it's not very respectful to want to know sticker price on everything in order to size up someone and judge them.

I'd say you grew up differently and come from a background where you trust that people are making sound decisions with their money and you don't give input unless asked. I've had to say it before - it won't go over that well but you deliver the message without looking rude. And if they still ask well I'd say all bets are off.

Full disclosure: I don't really cater to the delicate sensibilities of others - I subscribe to common sense and don't work in the education field so they don't get free lessons either :/

4 people like this.
  2. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

I'm considering paying you to see this thrift fit...

Or maybe we should just bid on that

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I don't have time to get into the background on this answer this afternoon, but when it comes to father-in-laws and buying your house, you are eventually going to have to get into a heated argument, throw a hammer at them and then kick them out for a while. Everything will be fine after a while, but they will still tell your neighbors that you spent too much on the house and can't afford your mortgage, even though you make 4 times his salary selling dead people's clothing on the internet. Oh, and computers are on their way out, BTW.

6 people like this.
  4. DanM

DanM Senior member

"Real business is done on paper" -Michael Scott

4 people like this.
  5. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Yes, it's certainly not something unattainable here either. I think it's just that he wants me to tell him.

Thank you for your candid reply. There is a lot that runs through my head, but self-control often gets the better of me. In this case, I would love to make a point about this, but I'm not sure I will make a point. In the end, I'm likely to be seen as being difficult (at least). I would really expect him to speak up if I mentioned that I was transferring money to a Nigerian prince. However, we're talking about a small house and I have never (nor would I ever) asked him for financial support.

It's also a possibility that he doesn't understand our intention of buying a smaller house now and buying something larger down the road when our family grows. He bought his before the euro was currency and housing prices have significantly increased since. You get a lot less house for more money today.

Haha, I kept thinking of this as I read that:

When I'm done, our students will be so smart, they'll be able to program their VCRs without spilling piping hot gravy all over myself.

6. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

whaaat?? people died in order for us to make some money??
    what do that make of us? :eek:

7. HansderHund

Now write that down.

1 person likes this.
  8. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Americans. :)

2 people like this.
  9. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Bought these at a discount via ethrift

What's msrp ?
    Think I did good $110
    Is for self
    Leather a little wrinkly

[​IMG]

/[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. Suit of Nettles

Suit of Nettles Senior member

• FlorianQC
    • [​IMG]

Sacrement! [​IMG]

11. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

ahah yeah and I'm not even Canadian yet so maybe that's why I don't share Koala-T passion of undressing dead people xD

12. eazye

eazye Senior member

Hans, fuck that, asking how much you pay for something when you clearly don't want to discuss it is really fucking rude. Stand your ground, don't tell him shit. Like Concealed said, if he really wants to know, he can figure it out for himself.

7 people like this.
  13. Suit of Nettles

It's a living...

[​IMG]

As to the legal-paternal demand for knowing the price of everything, the best response is probably "That would be an ecumenical matter."

1 person likes this.
  14. DanM

DanM Senior member

In regards to your house question, I say tell him the cost, thrifter style. X number of Hermes ties = cost of house.

4 people like this.
  15. aglose

aglose Senior member

Found this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hard 3 unfortunately, available, PM for measurements.

1 person likes this.
  16. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

+1 I think the one time I asked my Father in Law if he was born an asshole or had to work at it sealed our relationship. He actually loved me after that, I think he was looking to see if I would stand up to him or roll over. He loved picking arguments with me because neither of his kids would fight back, and I am not the rolling over type. Tell him to mind his own business, that you are the man of your household and his daughter's care is in your hands now.

5 people like this.
  17. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

18. HansderHund

I want to thank everyone for chiming in on a decidedly non-thrifting/clothing related topic. At the very least, it sounds as though I'm not crazy in feeling like it's a bit invasive. That's reassuring. I really enjoyed the stories of dealing with parents-in-law, it's good to know I'm not alone. I agree that I think it's rude that it's being pushed like this. Unfortunately, it seems to be one of those cases where I feel like the only sane person in a crazy house, because that's how it's being painted.

To those that are getting married: I'm fairly certain these are the real problems in dealing with in-laws. Overall, we all get along well. It's not like TV/movies where there is discernible friction. That would almost be welcome, as everyone knows where they stand. Instead, there are small things that bother each side. I'm sure my parents-in-law complain about me/us behind closed doors for certain things we say/do.

19. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

One stop, right behind a store donating a bunch of NWT/NWOT ties. 18 from them and 1 used one that I liked. All ties $1.99 plus I got $5 off my purchase of $25.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Suit of Nettles

Based on the subsequent clarification of your role as the sane man in the asylum, I renew my recommendation of the discrete use of obtuse humour.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.