The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

Allen Edmonds?

Its a brand called Lehigh. It says Lehigh inside and under it says Royal Square.

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Its a brand called Lehigh. It says Lehigh inside and under it says Royal Square.

How is the quality? They look very cool.

3. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

How is the quality? They look very cool.

They look like they are good quality. I dont know a whole lot about boot construction but they look pretty sturdy. They are worn in and look like they have seen lots of use but the sole is still in really good shape.

They also have an Oul and Chemigum proof and Good Year logo on the bottom which may or may not mean anything.

I plan to clean them up and wear the shit out of them this summer. Ive been looking for boots like this for a while now so it was a pretty good day when I tried them on and they fit.

4. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

Those boots look very nice and I think a little TLC prior to wearing will really make them look new. I'd just hit them with a good amount of conditioner and polish them up a few times. Good find!

5. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Exactly - I just didn't know how to phrase it. It's weird to think that a Jack Victor suit that I picked up on sale at SFA a few years ago now looks cheap hanging next to a closet full of Zegna, Canali, Oxxford, etc., all of which combined were probably bought for less than I paid for the Victor. Hell, even the Boss and Armani stuff from the early days of thrifting are now being replaced. I guess the danger of this hobby is that we get too spoiled: there's nothing at all wrong with Victor, Boss, or Armani.

Every once in awhile I see something exceptional for those brands. I saw a Boss shirt the other day that was made in Italy, had nice thick MOP buttons, and was well constructed. It was right next to another made in China boss shirt and it didn't even look like the same brand.

6. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Every once in awhile I see something exceptional for those brands. I saw a Boss shirt the other day that was made in Italy, had nice thick MOP buttons, and was well constructed. It was right next to another made in China boss shirt and it didn't even look like the same brand.

I've noticed that Boss, in particular, is all over the place. The strange thing to me is that unlike Blue Label/Purple Label Polo, Z/Zegna, etc. I haven't really noticed seperate brands for Boss. It all looks labeled the same to me.

Speaking of strange brands, I found a Jhane Barnes navy sportcoat at lunch today for $1.99. It still had a price tag from Syd Jerome in it. It's made in Italy and has a unique, almost Thierry Mugler look to it: narrow lapels, high button stance, center vent, and the pockets are slit pockets hidden in the (multiple) front seams.
    I used to think her stuff was made in Japan and then just a few weeks ago I saw a damaged blazer from her that was made in China. I guess she still has a high-end line for boutiques? I thought her brand was headed for a JCPenny near you.

7. otc

otc Senior member

Those boots look very nice and I think a little TLC prior to wearing will really make them look new. I'd just hit them with a good amount of conditioner and polish them up a few times. Good find!

+1 those boots are a sweet find

8. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

Here is today's finds both appear to be new without tags. RLPL linen summer shirt and Arnold Zimberg dress shirt.

[​IMG]

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Still experiencing a dry-spell here, but I did find a decent Oxxford charcoal pinstripe suit today. Trousers were hanging in the women's pants section. This is the same store that I found the Zegna Napoli Couture suit whose pants were also hanging out in the women's pants section. Lesson: Not only check the men's trousers section for missing suit pants, but also the women's section.

10. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

A glimmer of hope...not for me since my 6'7" frame usually doesn't find anything that will fit me.
    NWT Burberry of London contrast collar french cuffs. 16-32 & A very nice Hilditch & Key SAKS tie. Both are available, please PM if interested.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Recent highlights:

Silk RLPL super thin sweater
    Cashmere knit tie
    Canali dress shirt
    TM Lewin dress shirt
    2 Thywritt super 180's dress shirts
    Breuer cashmere sweater (lora piana fabric)
    Paul Stuart super thick flannel chalk stripe suit
    4 pairs of shoe trees

12. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Has anyone seen a huge influx of Hilfiger? It seems like the only ties and shirts in my area anymore are TH....

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^ I thought just yesterday, "Does anyone around here wear anything but Hilfiger ties?!"

14. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

Same - lots of Hilfiger ties in my area. I own only one and I don't think it's ever been worn

15. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

So I've been whining about the orphaned 2 Burberrys suit coats. I mentioned them to a friend, curious if I could resell them. She said a lot of people are Burberrys fanatics and thought they would sell. So I went back to get them, not really sure if they were going to be worth the $13 a piece. I got them up to the desk and noticed a tiny hole 1/8" sq on the back of the armpit. The manager offered to give me a 75% discount. The other coat has a small spot on the lapel, which I also pointed out. The manager then gave me 75% off of that coat as well. So I got them both for 6.50, 3.25 ea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.