• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The individual/local stores I go to regularly all know me, and occasionally save "good" stuff in my size.
I am very seriously working on this at the thrift closest to my work. Which also has the best stuff, I would assume bc it's proximity to downtown, ppl dropping off stuff on way into city. Always chat up the manager when I go there, most of the employees know me. But this is only at one store.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
The individual/local stores I go to regularly all know me, and occasionally save "good" stuff in my size.
I always feel bad when they save "good" stuff for me and it's really crap I have to come up with a good reason not to buy. Sometimes the "good stuff" is actually really good though. It helps if you bring home made cookies
teacha.gif

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped by the Grand Opening of a new VV in a nearby, upper middle class bedroom community. I actually had to RSVP because the "official" opening is on Thursday. It ended up that it seems that it was open to one and all because nobody asked me anything as I walked in. It's a mid-sized store but they are using their space effectively and it was well stocked (the racks were packed). There certainly wasn't a bunch of low-hanging fruit but there were some neat things. I had to pass on a recent Canali suit - piss stains on the pants lining (which my dry cleaner can handle) but there was a fraying hole on the shoulder.

Shawl collar sweater, Made in Canada

Lochcarron shooting / hunting sweater, Made in Scotland.

G Star Raw Denim Fleet Bomber

Nudie Jeans varsity jacket (wool with leather sleeves and quilted lining)

Various & sundry items for me, including NWT PRL socks, NWT Marks & Spencers Merino Wool Socks (YES! I AM ONE OF THOSE GUYS WHO WILL BUY SOCKS AT A THRIFT STORE!) :nodding: They just have to be the right kind. :slayer:
Some nice gloves for winter plus a rather nice PS in the bottom left corner that came bundled with some grandmother's handkerchief (but for 99 cents I thought, Why not?)

staxringold

Reaction score
Hey, no judgment. I bought a pair of CK NWOT socks and they feel nice. That's just an item I'm careful about, heh.

marc roberto

Reaction score
On the topic of thrift store shopping routines, a lot of you are now probably well recognized by store employees and perhaps even exchange pleasantries with the workers or offered tips on when new stock comes out and whatnot.

Since I've began to hit up thrifts more regularly, at a couple Goodwill stores I've been tailed by an obvious 'undercover' worker and even roundaboutly accused of nefarious activity.

Has anyone else exeprienced this?

Store 1: I was perusing the bags and luggage while an employee was stocking shoes.
employee- says from between the shoe rack "I'm watching you!"
me- "Why?"
employee- "There's a lot of nice stuff there!"

Store 2: I had just sifted through the shirt rack and had moved over to suits. A guy who I always see in there (most likely a loss prevention or employee LP wannabe) approaches an employee working the t-shirt rack and says "Did you see the guy going through the shirts? Keep an eye on him. He's always in here flipping through all the shirts. " Other employee says "He must be up to no good". I proceeded to the electronics and I see that guy at the end of the aisle obviously "conducting reconnaissance"

Each incident I thought about reporting to management but I figured, there's a reason these types are working at Goodwill.
Wow. I never had that. I think you should introduce yourself to the employees and tell them what you're doing. They may actually offer to help you.
teacha.gif

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of thrift store shopping routines, a lot of you are now probably well recognized by store employees and perhaps even exchange pleasantries with the workers or offered tips on when new stock comes out and whatnot.

Since I've began to hit up thrifts more regularly, at a couple Goodwill stores I've been tailed by an obvious 'undercover' worker and even roundaboutly accused of nefarious activity.

Has anyone else exeprienced this?

Store 1: I was perusing the bags and luggage while an employee was stocking shoes.
employee- says from between the shoe rack "I'm watching you!"
me- "Why?"
employee- "There's a lot of nice stuff there!"

Store 2: I had just sifted through the shirt rack and had moved over to suits. A guy who I always see in there (most likely a loss prevention or employee LP wannabe) approaches an employee working the t-shirt rack and says "Did you see the guy going through the shirts? Keep an eye on him. He's always in here flipping through all the shirts. " Other employee says "He must be up to no good". I proceeded to the electronics and I see that guy at the end of the aisle obviously "conducting reconnaissance"

Each incident I thought about reporting to management but I figured, there's a reason these types are working at Goodwill.

At my closest GW, there's a pretty cool dude who always sees me before I see him and he makes a point to come over and ask me how things are going & whatnot. A few times at other places employees have recognized me as a repeat customer, but nothing weird as a result. So, tell us, when did the aliens put the implant in your brain, and have you tried wearing a tinfoil hat to block their mind-reading waves?

Back to reality...for Spoo:

Amanda Bynes, tepid mess.

Last edited:

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this one a while ago, but never got around to taking pictures. It was 50% off when I found it, so must have been sitting there for a few weeks. Don't know how I missed a NWT Isaia on my previous trips...

and how something made for Neiman Marcus, NWT, gets to Cincinnati (nearest N.M. is 300 miles away) also boggles the mind.

Last edited:

LetsGetWeird

Reaction score
Recentish (within the last month) - feedback always welcome as I'm still learning (also learning how to spoiler properly):

Trafalgar Braces (available)

J. Press Seersucker 3-roll-2 44L (available)

PRL ~36 - available (only tag is the "made by hand" one, but buttons are PRL, feels like 100% wool, perhaps some cashmere in there?)

Incotex for EZ (n/a)

Incotex Chino lino (n/a)

Zanella Bennett ~35/36 (available)

NWT but real, real old EZ - available (would you have bought for $2?) - how would you even describe this pattern?

Also scooped up an EZ Angora/Wool/Cashmere blend jacket, and a Willis and Geiger Shirt last night that is like this, but in perfect condition. Photos to come and will be available.

futuremyth

Reaction score
Was on the fence about going out tonight as I've been in the midst of a very dry spell. Ended up being easily my best night ever.
Notable firsts: Charvet, Turnbull & Asser, RLPL, Isaia.
Excuse the terrible pics, too excited to take proper ones before going to bed.

Loro Piana cotton trou, Brunello Cucinelli cords

Alfred Sargent chelsea boots, 13D if any bigfoots want to trade

Isaia, Hackett, skeet, RLPL

Charvet, RLPL, Hermes, D&G x2 (pseudo-peekaboo cheesecake tie)

Paul Smith x6

Isaia x2, Duchamp, Turnbull & Asser x2

Etro x3, Dunhill x2, cool Boss polka dot knit

PRL x6 pour moi (except the golf and sailing ties, available for cost + shipping to any interested parties)

Zegna blazer for me, ugly-ass branded buttons I'll have to replace

plus a pile of other flippable-but-not-bragworthy stuff.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my little walk-to stores reopened with all new inventory today, after their summer sell out. I usually hit them on Wednesday, but decided to switch it up a bit. Found a few nice things. This was the first thing I grabbed.

RL Country Waxed Cotton Trench

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, I can't believe I'm saying this, but that G-Star jacket is ******* awesome. Second, that old ass Zegna tie reminds me of Crono Trigger for some reason. Anybody remember Crono Trigger....anybody? Third, that RL Country waxed jacket is so, so, awful, yet so, so amazing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads